You have an unread messageSupport

Last Updated:

1. enkode

enkode Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So, this is a minor but VERY annoying problem on my Eris.

I have a notification that is ALWAYS SHOWING!! It is a little black and white envelope. It is labeled "New Message(s)". It has the subtext, "You have an unread message".

If I slide my Notifications down, and click the notification, it brings me to the HTC Message list. All of my messages are marked as read, so I dont know why the icon is still there.

If I get a text, a totally separate icon, which is also a black and white envelope, but has a green circle with a number inside it showing how many unread messages I have.

If I bring the Notifications down, and click the problematic Notification, "the first one I mentioned", the second said icon will go away, and the original will NOT go away.

I can click "Clear Notifications" and it will go away till I get a new message, and then the problem is back.

I like the icon showing the number of unread messages, but do not like the fact that the other one will not go away after I have read all of my messages. Any ideas??

Additional Info that MIGHT matter:

Google Voice Installed: Notifications Disabled
    HTC Messages: Notifications Enabled

Advertisement
  2. enkode

bump

3. Droidcula

Droidcula Well-Known Member

Actually, there are three envelopes that may appear.

1. New SMS.
    2. Problem with SMS delivery.
    3. New email or POP3 message.

1 and 2 look similar. Like looking at the front of an envelope with a stamp on it.

3 looks like the back of a standard envelope.

Have you checked all three to make sure you don't have number 2 or 3?

Are you using the HTC SMS only or do you use another app to check messages? Reason I say this is you can disable the HTC messages notifications and just use a different SMS app. I noticed your post said you have HTC message notifications enabled.

4. smacky

smacky Banned

^^ What this guy said. Sounds like you have an email. When you click on the original one that keeps showing up, where does it take you?

5. enkode

Thanks for the reply guys. I am guessing I have 1 or 2 "by the way you made it sound, Droidcula". Its a little envelope with a stamp.

I have default notifications from the messages app turned off. Saves battery life and shtuff. I'm using handcent now, and have been for a while. I STILL have that damned notification though.

I found out that if I kill Sense, it goes away. If I use sense, I have the notification there all the time. Even if I clear notifications, it stays there.

If I click it, it takes me to the built in messaging app.

Help!

6. waylo

waylo New Member

Looks like this reply is a bit late, but I had this same problem and scoured the net for what seems forever before finding the answer.

You have Beautiful Widgets 2 installed?

A pretty useless and annoying side-effect of that app.

anfrey and lafter like this.
  7. BoBiGi

BoBiGi Well-Known Member

I had this same issue, solved it by going to the stock message app in the apps panel, clicked on it, clicked menu, settings, unchecked Auto-retrieve, unchecked Received notification. Make sure that any box pertaining to any kind of notification is unchecked.
    Hope this helps! It really is an annoyance :)

8. gpa111

gpa111 Well-Known Member

sometimes gmail thinks I have new mail and I don't... I have to click view all messages scroll around abit and it goes away.

9. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie Well-Known Member

I solved it by dragging the whole damn widget to the trash can....BAM!

10. lafter

lafter Member

That worked .. thank you

11. anfrey

anfrey New Member

over a year and a half after you've posted, i'm here to thank you for solving what was, up to now, a mystery issue. vielen dank!