You may not believe this...But ADW is faster than LauncherPro on the Dinc.General

Last Updated:

1. Hand76

Hand76 Guest This Topic's Starter

I know we have an over 10,000 viewed thread of Launcher Pro but this board does not give any credit to ADW.

ADW has many things going for it over Launcher Pro besides the fact it is fully open source, you can have themes, add up to 8 rows, and 8 columns, has a better system for resizing widgets.

I think everyone should give ADW a "fair" chance for a few days before judging. You can also play with the settings to get the screen sliding speed just the way you want it.

Right now my biggest problem with LP (well two problems) is one I have run out of room and untill more columns or rows are added I am stuck, and also the last month all updates have been based around duplicating the HTC widgets. THE HTC WIDGETS (while nice when you first start on an Android device) are USELESS! Who can dedicate an entire home screen to one widget?

Once you explore the market you find such better and more practical apps/widgets.

Anyway just give ADW a try for a few days you might be surprised.

Advertisement
  2. PurePursuit

PurePursuit Well-Known Member

ADW was faster for me as well, and the horizontal app drawer is mint. Just a better launcher IMO.

3. Hand76

One thing I noticed is when I pinch to zoom out in LP (to preview all 7 home screens) there is slight lag (most of the time) yet in ADW it is always smooth.

The only thing I like much better in LP is the customization of the dock. I wish I could adjust it a bit more in ADW.

4. DodgerinNH

DodgerinNH Well-Known Member

You can also use more Sense Widgets (like People) on ADW than LP, some of which I couldn't get running on LP.

I've really liked ADW better than LP since the beginning.

5. Mastermind

Mastermind Well-Known Member

ADW doesn't have LP's dock, so it's not likely that I'll ever use it.

6. FramCire

FramCire Well-Known Member

I tried both and with App organizer's shortcuts and the dock, I could use only 3 screens but I chose to use all 7.

I am enjoying the new LP widgets and they are well designed.

As for resizing, LP resizes widgets now.

There are apps for getting more icons on each homescreen.... I dont want 8 rows and columns.

7. gruss

gruss Well-Known Member

I always liked awd better anyway, still wind up back on sense, but I'll agree adw is sweet.

8. Oddity

Oddity Well-Known Member

Until ADW has a way to customize the dock background and an easy way to change icons, launcher pro has my full support. Plus the 3d drawer on LP is awesome.

9. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

I tried adw a while back and at the time it was slower than LP. I have not given it a go lately, but am always impressed seeing different ss's of peoples layouts it looks nice.

I guess it's all about what you get comfortable with. LP is lightning fast for me and my setup ( same speed as Sense) I can't imagine a launcher being any faster. Plus I favor minimal layouts/looks so that takes ADW's pros out of the picture for me.

There is a reason why LP is so popular....certainly not everyone will like it. I love the fact we all have so many options to choose from. Android is seriously super fun!

10. JuicyJones

JuicyJones Well-Known Member

I got rid of Launcher Pro after about a half hour ofbuse and went back to sense. Started using ADW and can't believe how much faster it is. Much better launcher pro.

11. Hand76

Here is a pic of ADW using 5 columns and 5 rows and I think this looks nice and clean.

[​IMG]

Now compare that pic to LP:

[​IMG]

And look at how much more dead (unused space) there is with LP. Untill Fede adds an option for at least a 5th column I will be spending my time in ADW.

12. FramCire

Does ADW do 15 dock spaces? I havent used it in a while.

13. wtfdan

wtfdan Well-Known Member

Okay,so I'm new to ADW.
    How do you change icons on the dock bar?

14. Hand76

When you flip the dock up you can place 6 more icons on it and than you can scroll across to add more BUT I don't know how many more it goes up to.

Just click and drag it's the same with either one.

15. wtfdan

wtfdan Well-Known Member

oh I meant I want to use custom icons
    Is it something about themes?

16. FramCire

Just tried it again. Like the scrolling dock on LP better.

The rows/columns make my widgets look cut off.

I have nothing bad to say about ADW but LP is my horse for now!

17. mountaineerndixie

mountaineerndixie Well-Known Member

It's MUCH better on my D1 as well.

18. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Nice looking setup! I like minimal and clean. I don't need or want icons/widgets all over my phone. I like to see my papers and I have an app drawer and folder org shortcuts to my prog's. Each to their own and cheers for Androids freedom of choice ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. wtfdan

wtfdan Well-Known Member

^ nicely looking. Are you using ADW?
    How did u get custom icons for the dock bar?

20. najaboy

najaboy Well-Known Member

ADW was my first choice of launchers through v1.0.1, but as much as I wanted to like it, I found it to be horribly unstable. I need my launcher to "just work" and not FC every time I do something trivial like open or close the app drawer. I do miss the horizontal app drawer and flick up dock, though.

Launcher Pro isn't without its faults the worst of which for me isn't actually LP's fault, but rather that of Beautiful Widgets. BW frequently causes a redraw when exiting an app back to the homescreen. The scrollable dock is cumbersome compared to the flick up dockbar of ADW, imo, but this is mitigated by the recent addition of gesture commands to LP's dock icons. All things considred, I'd rather deal with minor inconveniences than frequent FCs.

21. facedown41

facedown41 Member

as of right now the only reason i'm using LP over ADW is that i was having way too many force closes of ADW, it got annoying.

22. jbdan

jbdan Well-Known Member

Just go dnld your favorite icons (or make your own) from deviant art.com or somewhere similar and put them on your SD card. With LP installed just long press on an icon and use your custom icon. That's it! Also add a gesture to an icon and you can have 30 apps launch from 3 scrollable docks. All very nicely hidden :cool:

I've had 0 FC's with LP+. I think I had 1 or 2 before I got the + version. Been using it since May pretty amazing.

23. LarsWall

LarsWall Active Member

What widgets are you using? For time, weather and battery level? Love the setup you have. Very clean.

24. Twiz

Twiz Well-Known Member

Are there any ADW forums for support and customizing like LP has?

25. CaveRacing

CaveRacing Member

I agree. My homescreen is simply the dock (I use all 3), my wallpaper, and a 2x1 task list. Something has to tell me what all I need to get done. HA! If I knew how to do a screen shot without being rooted, I'd show my screen.

I tried ADW after using LP for a while. I didn't see any advantage for me, so I'm sticking with LP.

And yes.... the ability to customize with so many choices on Android is awesome!