You need a mapGeneral

1. 44fred

44fred Well-Known Member

Anybody have a link for something similar to this iphone app?
    "You need a map" is an off line map for the entire US. Takes plenty of storage space but that's no longer an issue for me with my 64G SD card.

Advertisement
    :
  2. Mehta23

Mehta23 Guides Guide

3. 44fred

44fred Well-Known Member

Yes I did the search but was hoping one of you more experienced Android guys would have some reviews.
    I did download your suggestion but am not real impressed. I guess I should just pony up and get the full version.
  4. jwither

jwither Well-Known Member

As with all apps in the Play Store, there are reviews you can read there.

I use CoPilot, which will store your maps offline, so that a connection isn't required after the maps are downloaded.

I think this is the free version:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.alk.copilot.mapviewer
  5. Simon_Gardner

Simon_Gardner Well-Known Member

With specific local maps I need offline, I make a pdf.
  6. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

OsmAnd with its optional layers for topographic and hill shading has all these features of this iPhone app ... but its user interface might need some time for learning.

MapsWithMe has an easy user interface and has a very fast map rendering on screen, for a lot of areas the map has more details as Google Maps and its offline search is sometimes better as Maps online's ... but it lacks routing/navigating and tracking, you'll just see your actual location on screen.
    BTW, the paid version hasn't more features than the free, just all maps available :)

I use the best of both apps ... but they need a lot of GB's on my SD card ;)
  7. 44fred

44fred Well-Known Member

I found this as well.

http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html
    dustwun77 likes this.
  8. Harry2

Harry2 Well-Known Member

Competition of OsmAnd :)
    User interface is more user friendly but ways off from MapsWithMe
    ... I don't like the app's handling of the maps. Although all maps are stored on the phone you can only move on the actually selected map. If you pass the map's border you've to select the following map.
    dustwun77 likes this.