• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your accounts, discover known accounts - Permission. What its about ?

blaaaa

Sep 28, 2012
  • Your accountsdiscover known accounts
    Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the tablet. Allows the app to get the list of accounts known by the phone.

I have found this permission in in two explanation pages that say that this permission is "This permission is of low importance" they say that its only give the app that you have google account or a facebook but doesn't tell it anything about the account.

Two other places say - "This permission is of moderate-high importance"
This allows the application to read what accounts you have and the usernames associated with them. It allows the app to interact with permission related to that account. An example would be an app that was restoring your contact, would discover your Google account then send you to Google's login screen. It doesn't actually get to see your password, but it gets to work with the account.

And I still don't really understand what to think when I see this permission asked.

I talk mainly on this permission when asked for a game and what will that allow the game app to do.

Sorry for the long text.

Thanks in advance

Reactions: alostpacket
So what your saying is that the permission is so I can share my score and brag on facebook

It does that by discovering I have a facebook or google account connected to my device and will send me a request to that account offering me the service.

Thanks. Any thing else this permission can do ?. something I should worry about ? its sounds pretty safe. Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
Put simply, it can see your usernames/email addresses, but not your passwords.

:)

Edit:

For example on my phone I have:

3 Google accounts
1 Verizon account
1 Twitter account
1 Facebook account

This permission would learn my usernames, and the type of account. For my Google accounts my username is the same as my email.

Also:
It's not a new permission related to multi-user accounts though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones