• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your Evo So Far

Traviswf

May 16, 2010
I'm wondering how people who have had their Evos for a while feel. The reviews only give initial impressions, not the longer experience that I think really counts. And there seems to be a ton of conflicting information with the video, the battery life, the build quality -- just a lot of it.

So I'm wondering what everyone here feels at this point about the phone. What problems are minor and fixable, which are sticking points, what do you love and are you -- overall -- happy with the phone?

Thanks for anyone who posts, I'd love to hear feelings on the phone!

I love my phone. The only problems i have with it is that the battery door doesn't fit properly, and i have some light leakage. I will eventually get the phone replaced, but eh, its not a big concern right now. This is the best android phone i have ever owned (coming from the moment, so a huge upgrade).

Upvote 0
I love it so far despite some of the issues. I've been using HTC phones since the days of the Orange SPV (HTC Canary) almost 10 years ago, and it used to be that one thing you can count on is that HTC generally makes good phones but are always undone because of cost cutting issues. However, with the EVO (and also the Incredible) you feel like it is worth more than the price you paid.

Upvote 0
I have had mine since the 7th and I can honestly say I love it.
I have never had ANY issue with the battery lasting as long as I want it to (I get a good 16 hours out of it with my moderate use)
The phone itself is great, I love all the apps, the Sense UI works for me, it's very intuitive and can do all the things I want it to. I love the visual voicemail, and the android robots haha
The form factor is also really appealing. It just looks so nice from every angle and the screen is amazing.

HOWEVER there are TWO things I don't like about it.
1. I sometimes can't get a data connection for the life of me.
I know however that this isn't the phone's fault but more likely the area I live in or the areas I frequent where signal isn't very good.
2. Screen separation. And I only say this lightly. My bottom right corner is up about .5mm and BB has promised to call me and hold a new evo for me when they come in, so I really can't complain. It really is not noticeable at all unless I look really carefully.

Besides these two points I consider the phone perfect or at least it's everything I want out of a phone right now. I have no idea what I could ask for that this phone doesn't do and I can't keep my hands off of it.

Upvote 0
I have had mine since the 7th and I can honestly say I love it.
I have never had ANY issue with the battery lasting as long as I want it to (I get a good 16 hours out of it with my moderate use)
The phone itself is great, I love all the apps, the Sense UI works for me, it's very intuitive and can do all the things I want it to. I love the visual voicemail, and the android robots haha
The form factor is also really appealing. It just looks so nice from every angle and the screen is amazing.

HOWEVER there are TWO things I don't like about it.
1. I sometimes can't get a data connection for the life of me.
I know however that this isn't the phone's fault but more likely the area I live in or the areas I frequent where signal isn't very good.
2. Screen separation. And I only say this lightly. My bottom right corner is up about .5mm and BB has promised to call me and hold a new evo for me when they come in, so I really can't complain. It really is not noticeable at all unless I look really carefully.

Besides these two points I consider the phone perfect or at least it's everything I want out of a phone right now. I have no idea what I could ask for that this phone doesn't do and I can't keep my hands off of it.

mine seems to have a bit more light leak now as well, got mine the first or second day. Still, amazing phone and its like having a computer in your hand x10. love the maps, goggles, amazing speed on good web sites. Why don't more companies and sites in general focus on making a www site that exploits mobile users? Seriously, news publishers complain about revenue lost? Cause your site sucks? all publishers should look at gawker for how their site should work. Gawker! are you freaking kidding me...that's the example...we are all doomed.

Upvote 0
I am about two weeks into having my EVO, and I am very happy with it. One thing it does not do as well as I would like is sync with Outlook (calendar and contacts) on my local PC. Other than that, I am totally satisfied. I am not a power user, several phone calls a day, several times web browsing, regular email and text. Get a full day out of the battery (7 am to 11 pm or so) and charge every night.

I came from a Treo 755, so it was a huge upgrade for me in terms of capability in the device.

Upvote 0
I am about two weeks into having my EVO, and I am very happy with it. One thing it does not do as well as I would like is sync with Outlook (calendar and contacts) on my local PC. Other than that, I am totally satisfied. I am not a power user, several phone calls a day, several times web browsing, regular email and text. Get a full day out of the battery (7 am to 11 pm or so) and charge every night.

I came from a Treo 755, so it was a huge upgrade for me in terms of capability in the device.

I came from the Centro so I know what you mean haha it's like night and day

Upvote 0
Love my Evo more today than ever, know better and better what it can do for me. Launch day purchase.

I too have some light leakage onto the screen but still very minor. Suppose it gets bad enough, will let Sprint try to fix. But that is such a tiny issue compared with how much I love my phone. Kinda like saying the wife can nag a bit. :p

Upvote 0
I've had my Evo since Monday, so I'm still in the honeymoon/discovery stage. I'm also new to Android, having been a WinMo user for the past three years. So far, I am loving this phone, and I am loving the app store. Instead of running to xda-developers to get a utility to do the things I want, I just go to the app store, and everything I've DL'd so far has been free. The battery issue isn't a huge problem for me, since the Evo uses the same battery as the TP2, so I had a spare out of the box and I have spare chargers everywhere. Internet surfing is like a dream compared to the TP2, and Google Talk is something like a gajillion times better than BeyondPod was for WinMo. So don't misunderstand what I am about to say, because my Pros list so so much bigger than my Cons that there's no chance I'm going back to WinMo. However...

There's this one thing in Android that I think totally sucks, and that's voice dialing. WinMo had, in comparison, an excellent voice command feature, which not only did voice dial, but also opened programs and played songs (although it would only go down to the artist/album level). But the voice command on the Evo not only sucks ass for voice recognition, it's so slow that I could have just pulled the number from the contact list manually. But that's not even the worst part. The worst part is that instead of asking me to confirm by saying "yes", it wants me to press a button to confirm. WTF is that? That's not hands-free dialing at all. I was used to pulling up contacts with my phone holstered all through speech -- now I can't do that. I can't pick songs I want to hear while the phone is holstered either. I'm hoping they have something better to offer in froyo.

This is in no way a deal breaker, but that's the only feature in WinMo that Android doesn't equal or beat by a mile.

Upvote 0
I've had mine since launch day and my wife and daughter have one as well. All of us agree its the best phone ever. We did exchange due to light leaks. I didn't want to, but my screen was up so far that the light behind the home key was shining onto the screen making a real annoying star of light in the corner of the phone. I should have kept that battery too as I was able to get great life before and since, it's been inconsistent. Nonetheless, I LOVE THIS "PHONE"! (Phone is in quotes because, compared to everything else I do with it, I use the actual phone part the least.)

Every phone, or piece of technology will have some issues. Taking those out of the equation, this thing does what it is supposed to do and it does it well. I spent hours learning how to mod my WinMo phones to make them do poorly what this thing does perfectly right out of the box.

And it plays movies. Really well.

Upvote 0
I have the Evo (since launch) and also an Incredible. I like the Evo, but there are some things that I don't like- the washed out colors on the screen (compared to the AMOLED screen on the DInc), the lag and lack of data connection that I have been getting, as well as a ton of SMS and DATA errors, to which Sprint has no idea what to do with. I'm also not a big fan of the Sprint network, which leaves a lot to be desired in my area.

I'm seriously thinking about leaving Sprint and keeping the Incredible, but i'm not 100% sure yet. The VZW network is a ton better than Sprint's. If I could put the AMOLED screen in an Evo and put the Evo on VZW, I'd be happy. (Good luck, I know).

Upvote 0
My phone is a freak. You guys wouldnt believe the batterylife I get with my evo. Last weekend I reached 3 days, and used the evo heavily, tons of pictures, videos, gps, 4g, and today I just charged my phone and it was at 2days 10hours and had 20% left.

98a8eh.png

I've got HW 003, Damage Control 3.0 and its the greatest thing i've purchased in a long shot.

Reactions: PaulMcCartney
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones