• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your experience with Task Killers

CuBz

Android Expert
Sep 21, 2010
UK
www.amafialife.com
I wanted to ask everyone what their experience is with task killers, because alot of people say their battery lasts longer with one but others say it does not make a difference.

Can everyone post what task killer they use, and what difference it makes on their phone, or state that you do not use one, and why.

I used Advanced Task Killer Pro and when people were saying they were not needed, I uninstalled it, after 2 weeks I have noticed that my battery does not last as long as it did when I had the task killer installed, so I will be re-installing it

Yes, which is why it saved battery, but people kept telling me that using that does no difference, but it seemed to for me.

OK, thought so. I believe you have a rogue app (could be more) on your phone. One reason why you're seeing better battery life with using ATK versus when you're not using it. My stipulation is that the app is not coded properly and does not have a proper 'exit' feature and is 'running' in the background versus being 'idle' when not being used. So when you finish using it, it's still active and running. When you were auto killing the app, it closed it down.

Another guess is that the app does not go idle when the phone becomes idle (screen off). What's your phone idle capacity. When phone is not being used, how long is it active for?

Upvote 0
Some folks do see a change others dont.

I have tried a couple and all seem to kill my battery quicker when installed, but after getting app happy when I first got the phone I calmed down a bit then after rooting went with a couple of apps a day to see if they was a fault with them and if I noticed the battery dying faster I would remove the app.

But I also removed crap like "face recognition" which had/has a known bug where it will try and recognise any face be it a picture you take a or a picture your viewing online. I noticed a marked difference after removing the crap and bloatware from the phone.

But would still be lucky to 14 hours from the battery with normal use.

Upvote 0
Well i've stopped killing apps since the last 2 months and my battery life is not that bad. with my regular heavy use (i use my phone at LEAST 30-40 times a day) i can use the phone all day long (6:30 AM to 10:30 PM) and still have 30-40% left at the end of the day. BUT i didn't uninstall the app, since when i really want to either restart an app or just refresh my mem it's a good way to do it (not all apps have a EXIT line).

I use Advanced Task Killer. To resume, ATK is useful but not essential.

Upvote 0
geeezzzz,, i wish,,, yesterday using phone for very minimal,, about a dozen text with task killer running, i was down to 2% at the end of a 8 hr shift, totally unacceptable,,

my iphone 3g i could get almost 2days with lots of use,,,
Is that sarcasm or are you complaining? So how much life do you get from your battery with heavy use?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones