Your favourite launcher and whyGeneral

Last Updated:

1. holgalee

holgalee Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all, I've got my SGS (with official 2.2 update) for 3 weeks now. Love it to bits!

But my phone tends to lag (or hang, not sure which because I usually shut down and power up) sometimes, especially when I click on an app and change my mind and use the back button before it can open. I'm not quite ready to root yet, so I wonder if using a different launcher will help.

I've got both LauncherPro and ADWLauncher installed right now. Both seem faster than TouchWiz, but both seem to cause the phone to hang, especially LauncherPro. Is it my imagination? :confused:

So which Launcher do you prefer and why? Also, is TouchWiz really that bad? I like being able to hide the name of my apps on the homescreen and it takes longer to scroll through the apps, but it seems more stable, I think. Do share your thoughts!

Advertisement
  2. bigdyl69

bigdyl69 Member

I had issues with Launcherpro hanging on my rooted and lag-fixed JPO Froyo SGS, especially on boot when I would get a force close from it. Tried ADW as well but I have settled on Zeam Launcher. Doesn't come with the widgets from Launcherpro but its lightweight and very fast and causes no hangs or freezes on my phone now. Its also free so well worth a try

holgalee likes this.
  3. GalaxyTDM

GalaxyTDM Well-Known Member

Must admit I have only tried ADW but didn't feel the need to try anything else, there are plenty of themes out there for ADW and it works well on my standard 2.1.

4. beer-in-box

beer-in-box Well-Known Member

You might try a modded version of your Touchwiz, I found one on xda forums and it's good. Take a look.

5. Scared

Scared Active Member

I use Launcher Pro (Plus), ADW was just too slow for me :(

I love having 3*5 shortcuts in the dock

6. Hrithan2020

Hrithan2020 Well-Known Member

Launcher Pro, was a bit slow for me on my Galaxy S (eclair, lag fixed).
    So, did voodoo fix + ADW, and it was very smooth.

Now, in Froyo , editing (adding homescreens, deleting) is very slow in ADW. Everything else is smooth. Haven't really tried LaucherPro after upgrading to Froyo..

7. holgalee

holgalee Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for all the replies! I downloaded Zeam and my phone seems to be great now. I may not even need to root it anymore! :p

8. caesey

caesey Well-Known Member

I started using Zeam, I appreciate the simplicity, but its missing an important feature, unread counts on phone, messaging & gmail icons. I used to get this with launcherpro, even touchwiz on froyo supports this (at least for Messaging).

9. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

LauncherPro Plus here. Love the widgets and its smooth and fast for me on lagfixed froyo. When I first tried ADW on 2.1 I had force close problems and just went to LauncherPro from there and have had no cause to try ADW again. Maybe sometime I'll get round to it and see how it runs, but its hard to give up the Friends widget in LauncherPro :)

10. Hrithan2020

Hrithan2020 Well-Known Member

Add no option to backup to the list.

11. jollygoon

jollygoon Well-Known Member

And with the swiping, you get 6 x 5 shortcuts! Been using launcherpro plus since the second day, tried many others but I keep coming back to launcher pro plus. Love it.