Your future Nexus One may not have AMOLED...

1. MartinS

MartinS Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    :
  2. daffyduck

daffyduck Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound good.....better get a phone ASAP then if you are on the sideline thinking about it.....

Or, could just be a strategy for screen exclusivity for Samsung to push their (in my opinion purely!) their crappy phones :D
  3. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery VIP Member

Oh man...so if you get your phone replace under warranty in the next couple of months...will HTC give you one that has the new S LCD o_O

So lower contrast ratio means that display is not as crisp and clear as AMOLED?
  4. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

Lower contrast ratio simply means that there is a smaller range from the lightest light to the darkest dark. In and of itself, contrast ratio is a largely misguided statistic that display companies throw out there as an advertising tool.

Though don't get me wrong...it IS important. Especially when comparing LCD to OLED. LCD, because it requires a backlight, cannot match OLED in regard to how dark black levels appear. Technically, as I understand it, the lower contrast ratio should only be inferior when displaying images with predominately dark colors.
  5. ap3604

ap3604 Well-Known Member

Not to mention the most important aspect... BATTERY LIFE.

Since the display is the main juice hog I really don't want to have an LCD bring down my battery life :(
  6. Rusty

Rusty Well-Known Member

Wonder if they'll move away from the Clearpad 2000 at the same time?
  7. cyberbob25

cyberbob25 Well-Known Member

According to the article that Martin linked to, the super TFT LCD panel *supposedly* consumes less power than the AMOLED. I don't see how that could be possible, but that's what it says in that article.
  8. jacobm

jacobm New Member

that would be a nice bonus if they did