Your Hero.

Last Updated:

1. StevenChap

StevenChap Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Right, I have an branded HTC Hero, and for some reason, it keeps dropping calls, and making SHHHHHHHHHHH noises midway through conversations, sometimes when I text it goes from full bar on signal to nothing. Its on Orange and according to there crappy website, my area has awesome signal. When people call me sometimes it doesnt come through and I just get a text saying "I recieved a call but it went to voicemail."

My mother whos on 02 has never once in her 3 years with them ever had a signal problem in our house. And I once had a contract with BT (BT actually do good contracts) and never experienced that problem but i guess with the anger of not getting 2.1 yet and possibly being awake at 3am Ive finally had it.

Is my hero the bad apple of the bunch or does this happen to everyone elses hero.

Advertisement
  2. Slug

Slug Check six! Moderator

Coverage maps are a crock of carp. They're merely marketing tools these days and bear a closer relation to how rival networks advertise their coverage than to real-life users' experiences.

Some networks are better (or worse) in a particular area.... an unfortunate fact of life. The only way to isolate the problem to your handset is to try another one on the same network at the same location.

3. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I had to check my signal strength when buying a T-Mobile phone. The impression I got was back then was, since they reported a strong signal, I would have grounds to cancel the contract if I had reception issues. It may be worth complaining to them on that basis, if it turns out to be a problem with all orange phones in your location.

(They probably won't want to let you off the contract, but you might get something free out of them :p ).

If it turns out to be the hero's fault, you could try upgrading the phone's radio. Unfortunately that does require you to root the phone, risking your warrenty.

4. StevenChap

I rang up and my brand new hero is on its way :)

5. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

Cool :) Keep us posted.

6. StevenChap

My Brand New HTC Hero in Graphite, Android 1.5 arrived today, 30mins ago. It came without a back or battery or memory card so I gave my other one to the courier and kept my memory card, battery and cover. Upon sending my 1st text, signal went.

Im now gonna ring them and if they send me a new sim card and that if doesnt work, can I get a new phone (thats not a hero) on the same contract like maybe a 9700 or even the desire ?

*UPDATE* This hero doesnt recognise my wifi. it sees all my neighbours wifi, but this hero doesnt. My laptop works, my ipod works. my ps3 works, my mums c905 works but not the hero. wtf.