1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Your Location/GPS/Read Personal Info?

Last Updated:

1. poisonarms

poisonarms New Member This Topic's Starter

Whenever I see an app that requires the use of this information, 9/10 times I do not download it. I see a lot of games on the marketplace that require this information and I just don't see the point in a game where I toss paper into a trash can needing to know my location at the time I am using the app. Do any of the rest of you see any red flags that turn you off of certain apps despite how cool they may seem?

Advertisement
  2. poisonarms

poisonarms New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm the only one?

3. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

What about situations when you want to navigate to an address of one of your contacts? If you do not allow the GPS app to access your contacts how is it going to find the address?

4. ming0616

ming0616 New Member

GPS apps need GPS capability, sounds obvious to me. Stupid games (but fun) that need to know my locaiotn/personal info? Red flag.
    That's the reason I think the Android app framework should distinguish between required permissions and optional permissions, so as a user I can control what permissions I grant to a specific app. I can think of it's disadvantages too though..

5. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Are these things also internet connected? If so, they probably "just" want location to serve you localized ads, nothing more. :eek:

nightfishing likes this.
  6. nightfishing

nightfishing Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about apps that access GPS.

What about it scares you? What do you think a dev would do with the info that would put you at risk?

7. Tangent

Tangent Well-Known Member

If you can successfully toss the paper into the trash can without a miss 100 times in a row, you are clearly an evil robot sent from the future. Your GPS location is being forwarded to the military for a precision bombing strike.

:eek: LIES! You're one of those evil robots aren't you!?!