• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your Next

Let me preface by saying I have a Nexus 5 right now. I do not need a new phone. But I want a new phone :) For my next phone, my biggest wants are better camera (though Nexus 5 has performed better than I thought it would) and much better camera (currently I don't even get through 15 hours of little use). But I'm having my usual problem of not being able to decide. What are your alls take on the below?

Nexus 6 - This was most likely going to be my next phone. However, I started to get the itch to get something a little more, what? high end? hardware robust? not exactly sure. And then comes the info that the Nexus program may be going away. So I've basically scratched this off.

Samsung 5 - Looks like a good phone. Decent battery, decent camera. Not a fan of the physical button. Not a fan of the Samsung interface.

HTC M8 - This probably would have been purchased several weeks ago except for the camera. I certainly don't feel like the camera is better than the Nexus 5 and in some cases might not be as good.

LG G3 - This is my latest phone of interest. I'm not sold on the size - I'll need to hold one to decide. I'm unsure about the camera and processor - seems like different sites are saying their good/great or awful. I'm not a big phone gamer so I can't imagine the 801 would cause any issue for me. Seem to be some conflicting stories about batter life though I have read good reviews about it (and still beta phones of course).

Moto X+1 - This has me intrigued. I wasn't crazy about what I read about the MotoX camera though the battery sounds very good. Improvement in camera could make this a really good choice. But with no official word and the sale to Lenovo, will the X+1 be released and if so, anytime soon (say before fall).

I will say Adam, that like you, I wanted something different from the Nexus line. I had been a devout Nexus fan for years, but I recently switched to Verizon and the last Nexus they supported was my beloved Galaxy Nexus.

I then determined that I was switching device lines since the Nexus was no longer supported.

I ended up going with the Note 3. I knew what I was getting into with Samsung UI, but I figured I could root/rom and put a custom Launcher.

The phone is great, I love it, the battery life is great, the camera is pretty good, and the screen is big and beautiful :)

Anyhow though, you might want to look, and I shudder when I say this, at the Windows phone that was a camera basically. Nokia Lumia 1020 - Camera Phone - Nokia - USA

I don't know what the reviews are like, but I know the camera is killer.

You might also want to look into the Xperia Z2: Sony Xperia Z2 specs

The camera looks to be pretty good and the specs are decent too! Shape is kind of meh in my book :)

Hope it helps!

Upvote 0
The Note line had caught my eye until I decided it was too big. But now that is coming back into question since I'm so interested in the G3.

At this point, I'm not sure that anything could convince me to get a Windows phone! :)

I'll have to look into the Sony though. That should have a decent camera considering. Thanks for the suggestion.

You mentioned you are giving up your Nexus - do you know what you're going to yet?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones