Your opinion on big phones?

Last Updated:

1. Intervenient

Intervenient Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I was skeptical months ago when I heard the EVO was rocking a 4.3 inch screen and was almost convinced it would be a horrible idea...than I saw it in stores. That phone is one sexy beast. A man's phone through and through, big and burly like a lumberjack. Not to mention the size also helps with...you know...it being a phone :)

Anyways, what's all your opinions on these larger phones?

Advertisement
  2. jree

jree Well-Known Member

I wasn't sure I'd like the size of the Vibrant but I think thats the biggest I could possibly go. I couldn't even imagine what the hell the Streak would feel like in my pocket.

Besides, I really don't like the idea of a big burly lumberjack being in my pants

3. InstantKarma

InstantKarma Well-Known Member

I love my Evo, but I think that's the largest thing I'll ever hold up to my ear. Any bigger and it's a notebook, not a phone.

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum Moderator

I'd only be able to put one of those big things in my pocket if i were a kangaroo.

5. ari-free

ari-free Well-Known Member

Ladies shouldn't have a problem with it in a purse.

6. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member

I had no problem with my HD2, but I do like the light wieght feel of my Vibrant. I think Samsung did a great job of finding a great balance of form AND function here. And, the screen is so nice I don't miss the .3" difference.:D

7. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

I'm still waiting to play with the Dell mini5, or whatever they're calling it this week. I have no problem with large phones, all my pants have cargo pockets. :D

8. Citronbull

Citronbull Active Member

I was hesitant to get the Droid X instead of the HTC Inc. I'm glad I chose the X, my wife is happy with her Droid but the large screen of the X is awesome. As long as pocketability is not a problem for the phone and for you, get a large screen.

9. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

To each his/her own, but for me, my Droid is about as big as I can stand. I really don't like the monolithic form factor at all, but my only other choice is a clamshell feature phone or a Blackberry Pearl Flip. I had a Blackberry Curve (with Otterbox Defender case) for a while and found it too wide to hold comfortably as a phone. In this respect, my Droid is better, but still not good.

10. sontaikle

sontaikle Well-Known Member

You'd think that, but we generally have smaller hands so holding the phone can be an issue. I've played with the Evo and the X and they're simply too big for me to hold comfortably on a regular basis.

The Incredible is the perfect size.

11. zerocool79346

zerocool79346 Well-Known Member

I honestly have no desire to have the X. That mother is ridiculously huge, more so than I would ever need for a phone. If I could have that processor in a slightly smaller size (Say 3.7" like the Inc) then I would be extremely happy. As it is, I'm pretty sure I won't ever own a phone with a screen over 4".

12. HustlinDaily

HustlinDaily Well-Known Member

I used an X and it didn't feel that big. Infact, it felt perfect.

I'd probably hafta say 4.3"

13. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

I think the size is a trade-off for the big screen and increased multi-media functions. If Sprint had done the Nexus One, I would probably had taken that over the EVO. However, now I think the EVO is just right.

14. srmccoy

srmccoy Well-Known Member

I've been pretty outspoken again'st the 4"+ devices. To me they just seem too big for a device that's designed to be in the pocket. The Droid Incredible, to me is the perfect size overall.

15. Tre Lawrence

Tre Lawrence Well-Known Member

Keep in mind that 4 or 5 years ago, the Incredible would have been considered to be unfashionably large.

I remember when the iPhone was thought to be a bit big

16. Ravenbrook

Ravenbrook Well-Known Member

I'm only considering how big it is in pocket. I use a bluetooth headset for 99% of my calls. The only time I don't is if it's charging. I want to get an X but I'm not gentle on phones so I'd have to put it in a decent case and that just adds to the bulk making it almost unable to fit in a pocket of normal jeans/pants.

17. LaFlavor

LaFlavor Well-Known Member

It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it.

Sorry, it had to be said.

18. mohit9206

mohit9206 Well-Known Member

Its unbelievable that how many of the people in this thread are saying that they would never own a device with a bigger screen than 4" and one guy saying that anything bigger than 4'3" is a notebook.How far have we come haha.Looking back at these threads am sure most of these people now either own a Galaxy S3/S4/Note or other such big device.So much for big phones lol.This thread is really nostalgic.

19. mobilephones13

mobilephones13 Member

Now days all mobile phone companies are making a competition of who can make the biggest mobile device instead of making small mobile devices. I think they should think again and revise what they are doing.
    we don't want to get back in few years later for the largest mobile phone of 3 Kg weight.

20. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

Holy necrobump Batman. LOL this one is nostalgic.

21. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

Haha, wow, three year old thread. Nice. I do remember when the Droid X came out. Even I was like, no way. And Here I am now with a 5" phone :p

22. Hadron

Hadron VIP Member VIP Member

It's worth noting that the first 4.3" phone I met, the HTC Desire HD, is as wide as my current HTC One and thicker (plus the One's back tapers towards the sides, which makes it easier to hold). So in many respects it is actually larger than my current 4.7" phone, and indeed at the time it came out I found it too large for comfort.

Having said that, after a couple of months to get used to the large phone I now have, I still feel that this is the largest I'd want, and would prefer it slightly smaller. So for me at least nothing actually has changed in the last few years.

23. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor Guide

The screen size is irrelevant when engineering takes into play. Putting the S3 and S1 side by side, you'd actually see the thinner bezels and stuff do make a difference, that the actual experience is almosy the same. For better perspective, the my s3mini feels smaller in my hands than the S1, despite having similar sized screens. It feels more the same handling as the 3.5 inch Galaxy Fit.

24. Medion

Medion Well-Known Member

Bingo. Engineering and a change in aspect ratio have made larger phones more bearable. The iPhone was famous for its 3:2 ratio (almost exactly 16:9 in the iPhone 5). Most Android phones were using a 5:3 ratio(800x480), which made them feel shorter and fatter.

Now modern phones tend to use 16:9 and thinner bezels. The switch from 16:10 to 16:9 allowed the Note 2 to be easier to hold than the Note 1 despite the larger display. My S4 feels more comfortable in the hand than my old S2.

25. jhawkkw

jhawkkw Chinchillin' Moderator

As someone with really small hands, using a large phone can get uncomfortable quick. When I got my Gnex, jumping from a 4" to a 4.65" was huge. It took me a while to figure out how to use it. Now with a Nexus 4 at 4.7", I can mostly one hand it, but still have trouble reaching corners. As such, I know I'm going to find it tough to go to anything larger.