Your Opinions: DX Camera Quality

Last Updated:

1. stevez444

stevez444 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

What do you all think of the quality of the pictures on your DX's? No need to post pictures..... just want your opinions. Maybe rate 1 - 10 with 10 being best.

I hated the pictures I took on my Droid 1. The quality was poor at best. Especially inside.

I've taken a few with the DX using Vignette and they are pretty good.

Any advice on camera settings would also be appreciated.

Advertisement
  2. Mays24

Mays24 Well-Known Member

3. darreno1

darreno1 Well-Known Member

Compared to a dedicated top-of-the-line point and shoot, it's a 7. For a cell phone camera, it's a 9.5. Honestly I have yet to see another cell phone(except for the Droid 2 maybe) reproduce color as well as the X. I've seen pics from the EVO, Incredible, iPhone 4, Samsungs, tons of Blackberries including the Torch and while some may be sharper and very crisp, they're usually a little dull with either drab colors (eg Evo, Inc, Blackberry) or oversaturated with colors that are too bright (iPhone4).

In many instances the X can fill the role of the average point and shoot though. Also, the sensor is capable of 12mp pics, so with an improved lens that lets in more light and some software tweaks, they will eventually replace even a good point and shoot. IMO, the average to good point and shoot days are numbered.

4. Don S

Don S Well-Known Member

Um, I hope you're kidding. You think 7 of every 10 digital point and shoot cameras are WORSE than this cell's camera? ..:rolleyes:

5. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

I think the camera is decent, about as good as you can get for a cell phone. As those go, I agree with the poster above compared to other phones.

But I'll disagree with the above poster on dedicated cameras. I give it a 3 compared to a dedicated "top of the line" point-and-shoot.

No optical zoom
    Slow shutter speeds
    No Viewfinder
    List could go on.

This is in no way denigrating the X's camera. I think it's one of the best on the market for a cell phone, but lets face it, still can't hold a candle to $150 digital cameras.

Stills look remarkable good, but trying to shoot fast moving objects like children is almost a worthless endevor.

6. darreno1

LOL. Assuming the top of the line point and shoots are 10 in terms of quality, I gave it a 7. Now that number in retrospect might be a little too generous, but with that said, I have no clue what you're talking about.

7. darreno1

I'll agree my 7 was a little too generous but because of the spectacular macro and daylight performance (and color reproduction), 3 is a bit low IMO - again just in terms of quality (not features). I mean, we've seen pics in here that can easily pass for point-and-shoot. If we're talking features though, it'll be a 1 or a 2 to be honest. Fast moving and low light performance is mediocre which is to be expected. Large print is also out of the question.

Anyway when I want very good performance for fast movement or prints, I just go straight to my Nikon DLSR :). Point-and-shoots are out of the question.

8. buxleyp

buxleyp Well-Known Member

If we're comparing the Droid X to a top-of-the-line point & shoot, I'd give the X a 2. The optics and clarity just don't compare.

If we're just talking mobile phone cameras, I'd give the X a 7. It's very good for a mobile phone camera, and works nicely as a back-up camera for me if I don't have my regular cameras handy. I'd give it a higher score if there was better (lower) noise, sharper images, better low-light performance, and better focus mechanism.

9. mundyb

mundyb Active Member

Being a SLR snob I don't think phones should even have cameras. That said, it is however a perfect replacement for a Flip video camera. And being able to use the LED's for a video light is excellent.

10. yawdapaah

yawdapaah Well-Known Member

Not great. I took pictures of some architectural drawings at a 4 feet distance and could barely read the text. The image stabilization is mediocre at best. Not bad for a phone, I guess.

11. j_ryan

j_ryan Well-Known Member

I believe I'd give the X a 6 overall. I'm definitely not an avid camera user or enthusiast, but I am pleased with the X's camera. I do hope Moto will put in more work on it in the future though. Seems like they could just make it better on the software side.

12. SgtBaxter

SgtBaxter Well-Known Member

The phone I had before this was a Samsung Omnia, and it's camera blew this one away, even though it was only a 5MP (although it was more sensitive than this phones).

The Samsung phones use basically the same software their point and shoot cameras do, so there are a lot more options and it's a lot more user friendly. It's exactly like using a regular point and shoot camera.

Knowing that, I give the X's camera software a 1 at best. Really needs a lot of improvement, I was rather disappointed.

That said, perhaps someone can swipe the camera .apk off a Samsung phone.

13. chammer

chammer Active Member

I'm still awaiting my DX to be delivered tomorrow, but I'm sure the camera is better than what I have on my BlackBerry currently. Especially considering it has a nice giant indentation right over the plastic covering the lens thanks to a puppy I let sleep with me last year lol.

Besides, like mundyb, I'm an SLR snob anyways. If I want to use a camera, I'll grab my real one. :)

14. PapaTim

PapaTim Member

As with most people, I agree the camera takes decent pics for a phone. Video quality on the other hand is pitiful considering all the hype surrounding it's HD video capabilities. :(

15. Vihzel

Vihzel Destroying Balls Everyday VIP Member

For a camera phone, this is one of the best available right now. It's going to be a long ways until they truly get to point and shoot quality.

16. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

I would say under optimal circumstances the X is as good as most point and shoots. Where the X lacks is in flexibility under less than optimal circumstances (low light, fast motion, etc...)

17. bigbadwulff

bigbadwulff Well-Known Member

I would say the lens is the problem with the camera. An 8mp camera should do better than it does.
    The 3.2 mp camera on my Storm did better. The lens is everything.

18. mwpeck

mwpeck Well-Known Member

It depends on the natural lighting available. I took a picture of a sticker on a device so I could easily get the model number and serial numbers for that device, and it turned out crystal clear. Even at max size the lines on everything are extremely sharp and readable. But I have taken a few shots that had maybe 6 out of 10 quality. I would say overall, 7 out of 10 quality, for cell phone cameras, more like 8-9 out of 10.

19. dahacker

dahacker Active Member

The X is no where near the quality of almost any point and shoot camera under any condition. My 1.2 megapixel Nikon coolpix 900s took better photos in 1999.

20. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Its obvious from your posts, you're not a fan of the DX camera. I am not really into cameras like you are, but for MY purposes, the DX does just as well as my 12MP Kodak point and shoot in optimal conditions.

21. trebb

trebb Member

Some of you are ridiculous. Did you see the pictures in the picure thread? I doubt your 1999 camera took better pictures outside than some of this photos.

22. nj02vette

nj02vette Well-Known Member

You'll find some trolls in every thread.

23. Greavous

Greavous Well-Known Member

For a cell phone I cant say ive ever used a better one. I took this shot at the North Carolina Aquarium last month. I didnt do anything special short of hold the phone steady against the glass.
    [​IMG]

24. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

I just read thru this thread....and was wondering the same thing. lol Unless all the ones saying its not good at all are some camera pros or something.

To me the X and Inc takes good pictures. Some more X pics posted...

http://androidforums.com/motorola-dr...r-droid-x.html

http://androidforums.com/htc-incredi...mera-test.html

http://androidforums.com/motorola-dr...-showdown.html

Those are not bad.

25. ctxx24

ctxx24 Well-Known Member

Lol right....this phone takes great pics outside which in 95% of the time i take pics...and to say the video is crap is redonkulus