• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

YOUR PROs AND CONs

You can delete individual messages:
Open the messaging app, open a conversation, tap and hold on the message, select "delete message". I just did this, it only deletes the message you tapped on.

Yes there is, it's in the notification bar with all the other ones - this is pretty standard on smartphones. In fact, it doesn't seem to go away until you click on it or check your call log.

Punk is absolutely correct ....
I have had to Always go to the missed calls log before it will clear from the notifications bar .... This is highly desireable so you cant accidentally miss the missed call ...

Upvote 0
You can delete individual messages:
Open the messaging app, open a conversation, tap and hold on the message, select "delete message". I just did this, it only deletes the message you tapped on.
ahhh i figured out how to delete indiv messages

Yes there is, it's in the notification bar with all the other ones - this is pretty standard on smartphones. In fact, it doesn't seem to go away until you click on it or check your call log.
i see the missed call log but i dont understand why it tallys up all my missed calls from days passed even though i click on it????

Upvote 0
i see the missed call log but i dont understand why it tallys up all my missed calls from days passed even though i click on it????

What tally are you talking about ... you post is clear enough to make head or tails out of what you may be trying to say.

With more complete description of the issue we might be able to help you, but as it is now I for one have no idea what you are referring to. ????

:thinking:

Upvote 0
This is my first post here and i decided to post here to start my experience off...

Pro:
-While listening to music and the phone is key locked, the volume buttons still work, LOVE that!
-The included headphone adapter is great, press the button at anytime, anywhere, and it plays music... Loveing that too. Music Buff here that just replaced his iPod with the G1 :)
-Can be signed on to multiple IM clients. With addition of apps to make a lot more IM connections
-The touchscreen is very finger friendly, only gets difficult on small links on the browser, that's when its zoom time.
-The market is just great, hoping to see some more great apps.
-The speed of the phone is just an eyeopener from the wing.... nuff said!
-Love the pull down notification bar.
- Love the android "Desktop".

Cons...
-**the biggest thing i hate: When I use the stock E-Mail app and I'm sending an email, I might come back to the email a few times for revisions or if Im busy; and ill eventually send it. I get on my computer and check out my gmail account, i have a new email from myself and about 5 or so "drafts" (i guess) and then an email with "quoted text", one of the emails is the actual one i sent... Why cant it bundle it all up and have the ONE original email i sent (hoping it was.. and not a bunch of drafts...) ? Anyone eles get this?

-I'd like to be able to be texting someone and then hit the talk key and it call them, or at least ask if i wanted to call them or go to Dialer, log, ect... Instead it got to find the person i was JUST talking too, it kind of feels left out..

-Battery Life is pretty bad....
-the trackball is a little too loose for me, arrow keys on the keyboard would have been nice (used them A LOT on the wing, definitely missed.)
-A native file/folder browser would be nice. Had to get an app just to browse around my SD card. At least there is one, so not that bad of an issue.
-Could be Nativity Sinkable.

That's about all i have, the cons are so minuscule that they don't matter,

**EXCEPT that email issue. it just ticks me off that i get cluttered email when i get on my computer.

Upvote 0
Cons...
-**the biggest thing i hate: When I use the stock E-Mail app and I'm sending an email, I might come back to the email a few times for revisions or if Im busy; and ill eventually send it. I get on my computer and check out my gmail account, i have a new email from myself and about 5 or so "drafts" (i guess) and then an email with "quoted text", one of the emails is the actual one i sent... Why cant it bundle it all up and have the ONE original email i sent (hoping it was.. and not a bunch of drafts...) ? Anyone eles get this?

-I'd like to be able to be texting someone and then hit the talk key and it call them, or at least ask if i wanted to call them or go to Dialer, log, ect... Instead it got to find the person i was JUST talking too, it kind of feels left out..

On your email issue ... you may be getting all the drafts ... because you are hitting the backkey which will close the current activity ... when you should be clicking the Home-Key ... to suspend your current activity ... and do something else ... Give that a try ... then when you press and hold the Home-Key you should see the "Email App " (if it was one of the last six apps you have started... then click it ... and you should return to your suspended activity...

If you are SMSing someone ... and want to call them from the message thread you are typing in ... then just long-press one of the previous messages .. and you will get a pop-up that will let you Call, Forward, View Message Details, or Delete that one Specific msg ...

Upvote 0
On your email issue ... you may be getting all the drafts ... because you are hitting the backkey which will close the current activity ... when you should be clicking the Home-Key ... to suspend your current activity ... and do something else ... Give that a try ... then when you press and hold the Home-Key you should see the "Email App " (if it was one of the last six apps you have started... then click it ... and you should return to your suspended activity...

If you are SMSing someone ... and want to call them from the message thread you are typing in ... then just long-press one of the previous messages .. and you will get a pop-up that will let you Call, Forward, View Message Details, or Delete that one Specific msg ...

Yeah, if you hit the back key it automatically creates a draft, if you hit home, it just saves where you are and puts the app into suspend mode.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. And just to confirm, stupid question, but the drafts are not being sent right? Why doesn't it just delete the drafts once you send the email? There should be an option to set for this, its kind of a pain. What i think is going on is that while sending an email im usually at work. And im so busy i type a bit, then i go back to work, then when i find some free time i open it up and continue my email. thats what i see my phone as great for, and something i do a lot. So i think it should be more of a draft feature of the phone itself, and not the gmail server... :/

Thanks, I JUST figured that out today, lately i have been long pressing everything to see if i can get more options... lol

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. And just to confirm, stupid question, but the drafts are not being sent right? Why doesn't it just delete the drafts once you send the email? There should be an option to set for this, its kind of a pain. What i think is going on is that while sending an email im usually at work. And im so busy i type a bit, then i go back to work, then when i find some free time i open it up and continue my email. thats what i see my phone as great for, and something i do a lot. So i think it should be more of a draft feature of the phone itself, and not the gmail server... :/

Thanks, I JUST figured that out today, lately i have been long pressing everything to see if i can get more options... lol

How would you think the logic of a program decide that you weren't drafting more than one email to a person ... and if it could ????? could it tell me the next time PowerBall gets to $300 Million, what numbers should I play !!! :D

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. And just to confirm, stupid question, but the drafts are not being sent right? Why doesn't it just delete the drafts once you send the email?

Because then we'd have people complaining that "it keeps deleting my drafts! I need those!" What it sounds like to me, is that you've stumbled upon a feature you don't normally use, and probably don't need. But others do use drafts (I think there'd be a lot less drama online if there were more drafts before emails get sent:D).
So now you know the nature of how gmail creates emails. Whenever you hit reply, or hit compose, it creates a draft. If you hit the back button, it saves and closes that draft. To find it again, go to the drafts section. But if while you're writing an email you hit or hold the Home button, it saves your place within that draft, so that you can easily return to that draft, finish composing, and then send. Just a matter of getting used to how that functions.

There should be an option to set for this, its kind of a pain. What i think is going on is that while sending an email im usually at work. And im so busy i type a bit, then i go back to work, then when i find some free time i open it up and continue my email. thats what i see my phone as great for, and something i do a lot. So i think it should be more of a draft feature of the phone itself, and not the gmail server... :/

The only thing I think they could create is a feature that lets you turn off saving drafts, but that would probably be a huge problem. Having it delete drafts upon sending would be problematic because it would have to somehow decide which drafts are which.

As far as the app goes, the google apps are merely shells that access the cloud data. The apps merely pull the data and features. To have features on the phone that don't exist on the regular website would be problematic.

Upvote 0

As far as the app goes, the google apps are merely shells that access the cloud data. The apps merely pull the data and features. To have features on the phone that don't exist on the regular website would be problematic.

Very good point, I had not thought of that way ... but if this is All Cloud Magic !!!... wouldn't that mean we couldn't compose when we are offline ???... that doesn't seem right ?? I need to test that ....

Upvote 0
Very good point, I had not thought of that way ... but if this is All Cloud Magic !!!... wouldn't that mean we couldn't compose when we are offline ???... that doesn't seem right ?? I need to test that ....

How is that any different than composing in your browser when your computer is offline? Just like html pages retain some simple code that can be used while offline, same principle would apply to the apps, don't you think?

Yes, you can compose an email while your phone is offline, but that's not really a unique feature. Think of it this way, it's not much different than creating the text of an email using Microsoft Word and then copying it into an email in gmail before you send. The Gmail app on your phone probably works in much the same way, a simple text editor that's available offline.

Thus the app has some functionality that doesn't exactly exist in the browser, but what we'd be talking about is an entire FEATURE that doesn't exist: the ability to save drafts only to the phone.

Or at least that's my guess...

In any regard, best to bring up the idea for new features to google labs or android.

Upvote 0
How is that any different than composing in your browser when your computer is offline? Just like html pages retain some simple code that can be used while offline, same principle would apply to the apps, don't you think?

Yes, you can compose an email while your phone is offline, but that's not really a unique feature. Think of it this way, it's not much different than creating the text of an email using Microsoft Word and then copying it into an email in gmail before you send. The Gmail app on your phone probably works in much the same way, a simple text editor that's available offline.

Thus the app has some functionality that doesn't exactly exist in the browser, but what we'd be talking about is an entire FEATURE that doesn't exist: the ability to save drafts only to the phone.

Or at least that's my guess...

In any regard, best to bring up the idea for new features to google labs or android.

I think I may have misunderstood your reference to "data and features" being in the "cloud" as meaning that the phone app was just a "dumb display shell" with no real computing power and only use for "displaying data" and that the "features" and functions all were in "the cloud" ...

I think now, that you just meant that it would be problematic if the "features or data" were functionally different from the "cloud app" ...
of course if that was the case then the syncing would be VERY problematic...

so trying to have the phone app handling data differently than the "cloud app" makes no sense ... therefore the poster wanting different feature that are not in the "cloud" is unrealistic

Upvote 0
The only thing I think they could create is a feature that lets you turn off saving drafts, but that would probably be a huge problem. Having it delete drafts upon sending would be problematic because it would have to somehow decide which drafts are which.
Well, your right about one thing, I don't use this feature. And I'm just used to my old Wing, because I could come back to my email and just keep typing on it. And the G1 creates drafts, that's fine, but upload them to the Gmail server is unnecessary, to me. And how would it have to decide which drafts are which, when its the one I sent! Meaning its the email I was typing up and I actually hit the send button. You would imagine the one that I send would be the one i would want my recipient to read, right?

So creating multiple drafts just seems ridiculous, to me. But, i guess people use drafts to make different "versions" of their emails? :thinking: That seems just too time consuming. I use email to receive a message, and right there i will send one back.. not make various "drafts" to write up and choose from later... If I have something to say I say it immediately, even if it might take a while to spit out. There is no need to save the same email multiple times in different draft instances, especially when there is minor changes.

I'm just glad i know a work around... sheesh. :(

Upvote 0
Well, your right about one thing, I don't use this feature. And I'm just used to my old Wing, because I could come back to my email and just keep typing on it. And the G1 creates drafts, that's fine, but upload them to the Gmail server is unnecessary, to me. And how would it have to decide which drafts are which, when its the one I sent! Meaning its the email I was typing up and I actually hit the send button. You would imagine the one that I send would be the one i would want my recipient to read, right?

So creating multiple drafts just seems ridiculous, to me. But, i guess people use drafts to make different "versions" of their emails? :thinking: That seems just too time consuming. I use email to receive a message, and right there i will send one back.. not make various "drafts" to write up and choose from later... If I have something to say I say it immediately, even if it might take a while to spit out. There is no need to save the same email multiple times in different draft instances, especially when there is minor changes.

I'm just glad i know a work around... sheesh. :(

It seems clear that you don't get it. If you use the email and the G1 the way we described you will NOT get multiple drafts.

When composing ... you decide you want to do something else ... press the HOME key(the key at the bottom of the phone that has a home on it) (not the Back-Key which has a backward pointing arrow)

After pressing the HOME key you will be able to do anything else ... then when you are ready you can return to your suspended email where you left off .... do your completion of it or continue to go back and forth between apps by using the HOME key ... finally sending the email and you have created no drafts.

You have been creating drafts because you have been pressing the BACK key which closes email and saves you current work as a draft ....

Upvote 0
It seems clear that you don't get it. If you use the email and the G1 the way we described you will NOT get multiple drafts.

When composing ... you decide you want to do something else ... press the HOME key(the key at the bottom of the phone that has a home on it) (not the Back-Key which has a backward pointing arrow)

After pressing the HOME key you will be able to do anything else ... then when you are ready you can return to your suspended email where you left off .... do your completion of it or continue to go back and forth between apps by using the HOME key ... finally sending the email and you have created no drafts.

You have been creating drafts because you have been pressing the BACK key which closes email and saves you current work as a draft ....

Exactly, I think warrior was thinking that the back key functions as the "minimize" button on a regular PC. It actually functions more like the "X", or "Close" button.
The home button, however, functions much like "minimize" and the press hold is similar(but not the same as) to pressing and holding "alt-tab."

I didn't know that myself until I installed and started using Task Switcher. With that app I've discovered that if you "Home" out of a program, it suspends it, but if you "back" out of a program, it actually closes and exits the program. The one exception seems to be the browser, which doesn't seem to have a way to exit.

Thus this is not really a "work around" as it's merely getting a better feel for how to use the gmail app.

Upvote 0
Exactly, I think warrior was thinking that the back key functions as the "minimize" button on a regular PC. It actually functions more like the "X", or "Close" button.
The home button, however, functions much like "minimize" and the press hold is similar(but not the same as) to pressing and holding "alt-tab."

I didn't know that myself until I installed and started using Task Switcher. With that app I've discovered that if you "Home" out of a program, it suspends it, but if you "back" out of a program, it actually closes and exits the program. The one exception seems to be the browser, which doesn't seem to have a way to exit.

Thus this is not really a "work around" as it's merely getting a better feel for how to use the gmail app.

Exactly .... I was about ready to give him the "I give Up :p"

Upvote 0
Uh... I got it? Now, i never said i didn't get it in my last post, i have been associating this tip you gave me well before i posted that. No where in my last post did i say its not working, or i don't get it. What i don't get is why it has to send all these drafts to the gmail server, and when i return to my desktop it says i have new email, when its actually a bunch of drafts. BUT again, since this "tip" you gave me, i have since not made that mistake, so i dont need explaining of it again. Remember my original CON, was that it sends all these drafts to the gmail server; when i veiw my email on my desktop, it acts as if i have new mail, which i actually have new drafts that were saved to the "group" of emails.

Upvote 0
yeah when this happens, it shows a new email in the "thread" of emails and my message that was sent was the new email. And its usually the last message, and not the drafts as the new email. It's not saying I'm sending it to myself or anything, just as if there was a new email. And I have never gotten anything put in my drafts section of gmail, unless I'm at my computer doing an email that gets sent to the drafts.

Something tells me i should make a new thread... sorry for jacking it. it just kind of happened that way...

Upvote 0
Pros:
- has keyboard
- can do pretty much anything you need (and will only get better with time)
- camera has AUTOFOCUS (BIG plus)
- there are alot more that i could list, but i'm sure the rest are pretty cliche.

Cons:
- battery performance is sub-par out of the box
- camera shutter seems to be excessively slow (blurry when moving even in daylight)
- no tethering (officially)
- no video recording (yet).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones