• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Your thoughts on the 2.1v3 leak?

I finally took the leap to 2.1 last night after running out of patience for the OTA and went to V3 (Thank you very much for posting btw!).

The biggest issue I've noticed is that reception is drastically worse than when I was on 1.5. I used to get 3-4 3G bars in my house, now I get 1-2...

Is this a known glitch or am I actually getting less reception? If so, is there a way to fix this without risking bricking the phone messing with radio settings? I have already updated roaming by doing a *228 option 2.

Does anyone else have any ideas or insight into this?

Thanks

Upvote 0
The only dialer lag i've encountered so far was with google voice.

I had set my phone in GV to "Ask for every call" whether to dial with GV or Not.

I made one call, got prompted, chose NOT to use GV and everything just slowed way down. Had to reboot.

That's about the only major slow down ive seen.

Upvote 0
I finally took the leap to 2.1 last night after running out of patience for the OTA and went to V3 (Thank you very much for posting btw!).

The biggest issue I've noticed is that reception is drastically worse than when I was on 1.5. I used to get 3-4 3G bars in my house, now I get 1-2...

Is this a known glitch or am I actually getting less reception? If so, is there a way to fix this without risking bricking the phone messing with radio settings? I have already updated roaming by doing a *228 option 2.

Does anyone else have any ideas or insight into this?

Thanks

As stated before, i've noticed that when I am NOT on a call the bars drop. BUt when I am actively in a call, the bars jump up to 3-4 bars. Once I end the call they drop back down to 0-2 bars.

Upvote 0
The "bars" thing has been beat to death, myself and many others have more or less agreed (even though we have no technical proof) that it is most likely the "evdo" signal which typically runs in the pcs band and will show "lower bars" especially in buildings where it can't penetrate like the cellular band (1x or voice) If your phone has the little "3G" up there I'm 99% sure your call will go through loud and clear.
I like the little buzz, so no issue with that at all.

As for what I think of v3, so far so good...snappy like I remember v1 and all the strange battery hogging issues I was having like the camera not shutting down properly seem to be gone and the phone hasn't locked up on me which happened a couple times on v2. so I'm happy, when I'm not you'll hear about it ;) compact qwerty is still glitchy though which torks me off...

Upvote 0
Just noticed this on V3, and I don't think this appeared on previous versions - when a new Gmail message comes in, the green "charge" led blinks as a notification - can't remember if there was a setting for this before, but I don't recall the power/charge indicator ever working as a notification of anything - doesn't seem to notify new POP mail or missed calls - haven't tried voicemail yet either -

I am ruining 1.5.....my light blinks as a G mail notification...

Upvote 0
I haven't had the no-sound bug yet with v3, but I'm sure that's just because I haven't had enough phone calls (or other audio) to trigger it.

For me, the only difference I've noticed from v2 to v3 is that embedded images work in Gmail (and webview works in other apps, such as Urbanspoon). That one improvement alone, though, is worth doing the upgrade from v2.

Still having the 50% "time without a signal" bug, but it's a habit now to quickly go in and out of airplane mode every time I reboot, so that's not really a problem.

I'll have to wait and see if Facebook sync is improved for me. I usually have problems with it after a few days, when it starts to drop random contact photos (and I have to re-sync Facebook to fix it).

Upvote 0
This leak is way better!! Thanks for posting Caddy. Alot of small bugs were fixed. One thing I like is that the noise when u make screen selections (click), now works properly. One bug I noticed is if I try to use bettercut to change people icon, it doesn't work. It did work on previous versions. The other icons I changed worked okay. All in all it's very smooth. This might hold me over from buyin incredible at full retail. I want to wait now til next gen phones with froyo come out. :p

Upvote 0
The "bars" thing has been beat to death, myself and many others have more or less agreed (even though we have no technical proof) that it is most likely the "evdo" signal which typically runs in the pcs band and will show "lower bars" especially in buildings where it can't penetrate like the cellular band (1x or voice) If your phone has the little "3G" up there I'm 99% sure your call will go through loud and clear.

I apologize that the issue has been "beat to death". As I stated, I was coming from 1.5 and I had not seen anyone else mention the issue on the forum.

Upvote 0
my battery has been out the window since this leak. seems to be awake 99% of the time. never had this issue with any other leak. is there a fix?

Did you try a reboot? I've had that happen occasionally on each of the leaks as well as on 1.5, and it always seems to be some rogue app, or just a sync that's stuck in a loop. Reboot usually helps.

If you have spare parts or battery widget or battery left widget, you can check its "battery history" to see what app has been using the most "partial wake time." If it's "calendar", you've got a sync that's stuck. If it's something else, try killing the app that's indicated.

Reactions: 0wrx2
Upvote 0
Anyone else having trouble setting up a yahoo account on v3?

00smurf
I thought I was. Then I did this:

UserName - your yahoo email account address
Password - your yahoo account password
IMAP server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
Port - 143
Security type - none
IMAP path prefix - (none)

Outgoing Server Settings:
SMTP server - smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
Potr - 587
Security type - none
Require Sign in - "checked"

I wish I could remember who posted this a long time ago, but sorry. I had it copied from when I first got my phone in Feb.

Reactions: scrubs and 00smurf
Upvote 0
Did you try a reboot? I've had that happen occasionally on each of the leaks as well as on 1.5, and it always seems to be some rogue app, or just a sync that's stuck in a loop. Reboot usually helps.

If you have spare parts or battery widget or battery left widget, you can check its "battery history" to see what app has been using the most "partial wake time." If it's "calendar", you've got a sync that's stuck. If it's something else, try killing the app that's indicated.

will give these a try. thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones