You're kidding me, right?!General

Last Updated:

1. Rockindiver

Rockindiver Member This Topic's Starter

So I've had my Eris for less than a week and the battery life is appalling. I've gone through all the sticky's related to battery life and made the appropriate changes but at this point if I turn "Mobile" on and GPS, Bluetooth, and GPS are off I get maybe 12 -14 hours of battery life. I've let it go all the way down and fully recharge it overnight for the past few days to no avail.
    If I turn off Mobile I get much longer life but what's the use at that point?
    Tell me this isn't what to expect, cause if it is I'm taking the sucker back!

Advertisement
  2. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

You're complaining about 12-14 hours of battery?!?!?!

3. Thats

Thats That guy is This VIP Member

Go take it back. I love people who complain. :)

4. Rockindiver

Rockindiver Member This Topic's Starter

Seriously, that's what I should expect?

5. Howie

Howie Well-Known Member

unfortunately that is average for android devices. (and the palm pre, and the iPhone when I had it)

6. flspnr

flspnr Well-Known Member

It's a smart phone. It does a bajillion things at once. 12-14 hours of battery life isn't all that bad, just charge it when you go to bed. Myself personally, I put the toggles to GPS, Bluetooth, and Mobile Network on my homescreen. If I want to use any of them, I can easily and quickly turn them on. If I'm not using my phone, why have the mobile network turned on and wasting battery? I can turn it on when I'm ready for twitter/facebook/whatever updates, or when I want to play with my apps or browse the internet. I especially turn it off when I'm sleeping. Since doing this, I can get my battery to last around 24 hours, especially when I put the phone down and do something else (which, btw, is hard for me, so many fun games and I'm jobless at the moment, so there's tons of time to play lol!).

Check out the battery thread, play with settings, and keep an eye on your awake time. If it's always at 100% you've got a problematic phone and should take it to the store and ask about the update that fixes that problem. If you restart your phone, then immediately lock it and leave it alone for 10 min before unlocking, your awake time should be pretty low. If after restarting then immediately locking and letting it sit for 10 minutes your phone still has 100% awake time, you may have gotten one of the phones that had this problem - it can be fixed with one of the updates we've had. Chances are though, it's a combination of settings, how hard your phone has to search for service (if it's doing this often, that's a HUGE battery killer), and how much you use it. :)

Hope that helped at all.

7. NKT

NKT Well-Known Member

Question is, what where you expecting?

8. DarbyFett

DarbyFett New Member

I've had my phone for about 2 weeks. And ATM with my favorite apps, no task killer,3g on and notifications I am at about 15% awake time. Yesterday I went from 1pm-6:30 am before I charged and I was at 35%. I didnt do anything special and I am pretty happy with my battery time. Moderate use. Mainly texts,some games,a bit of browsing and checking email.

9. SlickRick

SlickRick Well-Known Member

Look into the 3500mah battery ;)

10. hrbib21

hrbib21 Well-Known Member

I take it the OP has never owned a smartphone until now?

11. fungalMonk

fungalMonk Well-Known Member

I get by more than fine with charging at bedtime. If I get nutty, I'll give it some extra juice at work with the USB cable. I keep wifi off when I'm not at home, turn on GPS only when I want to fool with it, and have a task killer installed only to monitor what's actually running. Current uptime is 176:17, awake time at 41:32 (24%). I love this phone, personally. If I ever get the gumption, I'm going to put the post where whoever it was posted about life at 300 baud in a sig I may have one day. I was about ready to make the same post, but I decided to just go outside and make sure no kids were on my lawn. ;)

12. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

My laptop battery only lasts about 3 hours and I can't use it to make phone calls.

13. flspnr

flspnr Well-Known Member

My netbook lasts about an hour with Windows XP running, about an hour and a half on linux (eeebuntu). I'm used to just keeping it plugged in any more!

14. Gevis

Gevis Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with your battery. Just charge while you're sleeping. Any smart phone isn't going to give you more than a day or two if lucky.

If its really a problem look into a larger battery.

15. Rubik76

Rubik76 Well-Known Member

Obviously it is, but if having a phone that probably needs to sleep less than you do is a problem, then you may have a problem.

16. bowerman

bowerman Guest

I just ordered the extended 1750 mah battery from seidio. I'll post pack if it helps a lot. I'm with every one else, it sounds normal. I have had a MOTO Droid, Iphone 3gs, blackberry storm 2, and the eris. They are all about the same as far as battery life goes.

17. ScarcelyAware

ScarcelyAware Well-Known Member

I solved this problem easily by just asking for an extra battery when I bought the Eris at Verizon. The store I go to sells accessories for 60%+ off if you buy them right when you activate/upgrade. Kinda fun having GPS and 3G on all the time. :]

18. natbet

natbet Active Member

I leave mobile network and wifi on all day and have no issue using my phone all day.

19. natbet

natbet Active Member

I leave mobile network and wifi on all day and have no issue using my phone all day.

20. MOS95B

MOS95B Well-Known Member

48 hours since I last charged. What most people would call very light use - a couple of calls, check facebook every couple of hours, a few minutes in the Market. WiFi and bluetooth off. GPS and Mobile Network on. I'm at 42%

21. datruth585

datruth585 Member

wifi anyone?! if you have a wifi connex use wifi and disable mobile for the time being. less battery drain and faster connex (unless its a crappy network)

LETS GO ORANGE

22. jkmasi

jkmasi Well-Known Member

I installed the 1750 battery about a week ago and it lasts noticeably longer than the stock battery with similar use. A great investment, but then you really have to think of it as part of the price of the phone. Some people think it's no biggie to charge their phone more than once per day. I refuse to charge more often than overnight.

23. MongolStomp

MongolStomp Well-Known Member

Honestly, look at alll this incredible things this little hand held device can do with a not-so-big battery. IF you can get 12-14 out of it that's prettyyy solid. I wouldn't suggest turning any cool features of either becauseee that's the point of having this smart phone right? Just make sure you got a charger with you or an extra battery, I know its a buzzkill but worth it.

24. AdrianC14

AdrianC14 Well-Known Member

I don't need the 1750mah battery personally. I can get through the day using the Browser, iheartradio, Pandora, text, call, and play games with about 40% of battery life left at the end of the day. I don't find it a nuisance having to charge my battery before I go to bed.

25. karib

karib Well-Known Member

I can make it through a whole day too, but late at night it does get down to the red zone (where the phone tells you to charge it) sometimes. I ordered the 1750mh battery because I want to have some charge left at the end of the night, just in case I need it, for peace of mind!