YouTube for Sprint Hero

Last Updated:

1. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi everyone, I'm pretty much new into the android world, I got my Sprint Hero about three weeks ago and even though it's quite slow sometimes, it doesn't really bother me since my previous phone was a Sprint Diamond and that one was really slow, to the point of freezing and having to restart that phone. Anyhow, I've read that by rooting your phone you can do a lot of cool stuff with your phone and I just can't get over the fact that YouTube doesn't work at all on my phone, not even if I try viewing YouTube on the browser (whether I try the preinstalled browser or Opera Mini), it just tells me that the server can't be found whenever I "click" on a video's link. I haven't rooted my phone yet, I think it's a bit complicated plus I don't wanna mess up my phone, but I'm willing to do it if there's a way to make YouTube work, weather YouTube works or not, I think I'll end up doing it anyway, it's very tempting lol, but, does anyone know if there's a way to make YouTube work after getting your phone rooted?

Advertisement
  2. stinky

stinky Well-Known Member

If you root and flash a 2.1 ROM, Youtube works great. Any 1.5 ROM it is still iffy.

Rooting is easier to do than it seems, just make sure you research it, and follow instructions exactly as written.

Until you root, try using Youtube when you have WIFI access, it has always worked at 90%+ for me while on a WIFI network.

Lozer_Kid likes this.
  3. Lozer_Kid

Sweet, I'll keep that in mind!! Thanks for replying!!!! :D

4. Syphon

Syphon Well-Known Member

I'll second him on the fact that it works flawlessly in 2.1. I use Fresh 2.0d and my youtube works great.

Flashing is easy, just follow instructions and don't try to be a know it all, and you will do fine.

That or you can be patient and wait for Sprint to finally release 2.1, however who knows when/if that will ever happen at this rate.

5. Squiggy

Squiggy Well-Known Member

It works fine on stock if you delete the cache/data through your settings for the Youtube application.

6. T Mac

T Mac Well-Known Member

...I tried clearing the cache in settings and the YouTube app won't play videos on 3g. At least on my phone it doesn't. I don't have wifi connection right now so I can't confirm that. YouTube videos do play through the web browser app on 3g though.

7. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

YouTube works on the mobile site through the stock browser for me too (not rooted)

8. Lozer_Kid

What is the "stock" browser? hehe...

9. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

The "stock" browsr is the browser that came with the phone. There are several other browsers available for download that can be used on the Hero, like Opera mini, to name just one. Do a search at the market. :)

But you knew that already...:p

10. Lozer_Kid

Oh okay, yeah I've tried viewing YouTube on the stock browser and Opera Mini, but it just doesn't work. After I click on the link of a video that I want to view, it tells me that the server can't be found and I need to check that the url is correct. When I try that on the Dolphin browser, it does bring up the url, but it still doesn't play the videos. I even tried downloading this programe name Tube Downloader and when I preview the videos, it won't play them! I wonder what's the deal with HTC and YouTube?! or I wonder if it's a Google issue! :cool:

11. JB in AZ

JB in AZ VIP Member VIP Member

Have you tried using the Hero's Wi-Fi to view YouTube?

12. Lozer_Kid

Yes, I have tried that, but my WiFi at home is not as fast, so, some videos take a while to load. Yeah, I know... I'm doomed! lol

13. Thefoodman52

Thefoodman52 Well-Known Member

I would rather have gunky youtube over some of my issues with this Moment, good thing there's a Hero making it's way to save me from this Moment this time.

14. V425

V425 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but when using the browser are you going to the full site or the mobile site?

15. Lozer_Kid

It automatically goes to the mobile site.

Btw, I noticed that mobile facebook doesn't work either... It brings up the facebook mobile home page and most of the times it works, but sometimes when I click on a link or something, it tells me that the site doesn't exist, this happens on all the browsers that I've tried (Stock browser, Opera Mini and Dolphin)... :S

16. SHO_ONE

SHO_ONE Well-Known Member

Maybe you could help me out to.. I too am new to Android, just traded my Pre for a Hero over Easter weekend... If I was to root my phone and flash a 2.1 rom... would that be like having an unoffical version of Android 2.1?

17. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

Since going to Fresh 2.0d youtube works like a champ for me, so far I haven't come across any of those pesky playback error messages I got frequently (every video) with the 1.5 builds.

18. MikeMcG

MikeMcG Well-Known Member

Yes, only better.

19. 330D

330D From My Cold Dead Hands VIP Member

^+1 for this

20. SHO_ONE

SHO_ONE Well-Known Member

Thanks for the quick reply... I youtube'd a how too root video and it didn't look hard; howerver if you guys know of a better way to root and where to get a 2.0 or 2.1 rom I'd appreciate it,thanks!

21. 330D

forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=519

Great site for rooting and modding. lots of useful info

22. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Well-Known Member

What 330D said.
    If you go there it is like the second link down, the wiki for rooting. It literally takes about 5 minutes to root, a little more when you flash the recovery.

23. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

Check out the sub forum All Things Root, there's a sticky in there that gives you step by step instructions. Also you can auto root your phone with Flipz's kitchen, or if you're in the Boise area I'd be happy to help in exchange for a sixer.

24. 330D

I there really anyone in the Boise area? lol