Youtube HQ mode?

Last Updated:

1. calbruc

calbruc Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I don't know if this is Froyo-related, or maybe just my phone or my ROM (BB V 0.1 w/ stock kernel), but I just noticed that when I launch a Youtube video from my browser (xScope or stock), it plays in low-fi mode with no option to change it. I don't have the HQ button in the right corner and the MENU soft key doesn't do anything.

When watching from the Youtube app, I have the HQ button.

Anybody else seeing this?

Advertisement
  2. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

do you have the setting in the app for default to high quality checked?

3. calbruc

Well, I didn't before, but I do now -- still the same deal, however.

4. GODMODE

GODMODE Well-Known Member

What phone? Can the hardware even handle (screen?) I wonder if it is hardware related and defaults simply because it does not/cannot play it.

5. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

this is the droid forum so Im fairly sure he is on a droid. And yes you can watch HQ youtube videos on the droid

6. calbruc

Yup, I've got a Droid.

OMJ -- Do you have the hi/low quality options when launching Youtube vids from a broswer?

7. PhilosoRaptor

PhilosoRaptor Well-Known Member

It doesn't give you the option to switch quality because you're playing the video in your browser still, not the YouTube app. In order to switch the quality, you have to use the actual YouTube app, otherwise it treats it as any other flash video.

Having said that, when I was playing YouTube videos in my browser yesterday (over WiFi), it actually looked good to me and was comparable to HQ in the app. Maybe not quite as crisp, but it certainly looked a bit better than low quality in the app when in full screen mode.

8. einyv

einyv Well-Known Member

only problem i have whether using youtube app or browser is when i first click on the video i get an error says can't play file but when i click it again it works fine. Irritating but i can live with it

9. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I just checked and mine defaults to HQ when launched from the browser and the option to change is there.

Not sure what the deal is

10. calbruc

Ah, so you're saying that, now that the browser's got Flash, it's using that -- not the YouTube app -- to play the video? That makes sense.

Thanks for clearing that up.

11. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

it does do that but you can launch the youtube app if you tap on the video a few times

12. calbruc

Er, that's no good. For me.

What ROM are you running, OMJ? And is that with the stock browser?

13. PhilosoRaptor

I'm not sure this is worded incorrectly or if I'm misinterpreting it. When you said "launched from the browser", that makes me think you mean the YouTube app since it prompts you to either open the video in the browser or the YouTube app and you're choosing the YouTube app, which will obviously give you an HQ option.

If you're actually playing the video in a browser, it does not give you any video quality options. It does behave a bit differently between browsers, but none of them have quality options.

The stock browser, when in full screen mode, it just gives you the "<< ll >>" (rewind, play/pause, fast forward) buttons and has no HQ button/options.

In the Dolphin HD browser (only other browser I use), it actually looks like a normal YouTube video, even in full screen mode with all the normal video options (play/pause, progress bar, full screen button) except quality options.

At least this is how it is on my phone running NexBeast v0.1.1 (FRF57). I'm running the 3rd (newest) beta release of Flash right now too.

14. OMJ

OMJ Bazinga VIP Member

I meant launching the app

15. PhilosoRaptor

I thought so. He's trying to figure out if, when playing a video inside the browser (not the YouTube app), there is supposed to be a HQ mode button (or any other quality options).

The answer is no, there are no quality settings for YouTube vids when playing them inside the browser, since it's just treating it as any other Flash video on the web.

If you want to choose between HQ/LQ Youtube vids, you must do it through the YouTube app on the phone.

16. xScope

xScope Well-Known Member

YouTube sends different content to different phones according to user agent a browser uses.
    Set user agent = 'android 1.6' in xScope and then you will have all the goodies back (HQ/LQ selection and download option).

calbruc likes this.
  17. calbruc

Perfect.

xScope, you kick ass.

Thanks so much for the workaround and your continued efforts on the browser.