• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Youtube Mobile app is bullshit.. can't turn off screen while I'm on youtube? Really?

motorazr

Nov 12, 2011
This is probably old news for a lot of you, but I just updated my razr yesterday to a new android version.

Before the update, I could load up my playlist in the Youtube Mobile app, and hit the power button to turn off the screen. I could go around listening to my playlist, and the phone would save battery by having the screen turned off. The playlist would cycle through all the songs and I was a happy man.

Now, however, the updated Youtube Mobile app no longer allows users to turn off their screens. According to Youtube, this was done because Youtube is a VIDEO service, and as such they want us to be watching videos on it. They said that this update reflects their terms of service...

If I press the power button now, the Youtube App stops and the phone turns off into its powersaver mode...

I find this ridiculous.

On my desktop, I have Youtube playing my playlist in a tab while I do my homework or read something. Youtube is effectively hidden, because my music playlist is playing... MUSIC.

There is already way too much music posted on Youtube, and NO its not all video either. Its been this way for years. For Youtube to suddenly care about this and disable this feature on smartphones is quite hypocritical. A lot of people I know use Youtube because they can listen to playlists they made.

I have no idea how to revert to the very old Youtube. I uninstalled updates for Youtube Mobile, but since the phone update, the app version I have is the latest one...

I honestly don't care if there is a way to go back, because I don't want to. Youtube should allow users to turn off the screen and still have playback of their playlists while the screen is off.

PS: Yes, I realize there might be grammar mistakes. Please excuse them!

First off, I really liked this post. It made my afternoon. What a strange feature to remove.

As far as maybe downgrading, if you are rooted and you have a backup via TitaniumBackup or anything else that stores .apk files... then you might be good, you should be able to sideload that and get it working. Though, I've never tried to sideload an app that was already installed, not sure what would happen there....

good luck.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones