Youtube On Moment VS. HeroSupport

Last Updated:

1. kayawire

kayawire Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi guys,

On the Hero, youtube videos would start to play in low quality unless one would go into the settings and manually change the setting to "Play in high quality" each time ! That was rather annoying...

Is this the same for the Moment? Or does it just start to play in high quality automatically like the Pre etc?

Thanks,

Kayawire

Advertisement
  2. Yugami

Yugami Active Member

Wow, didn't know about that option on the Hero. One of the major reasons I was about to switch to the Moment was video quality. I probably still will though. Yes, the Moment did play in high quality when I tried out a video.

3. 5280droid

5280droid Well-Known Member

I had time with the Moment yesterday. You have to choose " play in high quality" it does not play it by default.

4. Yugami

Yugami Active Member

Hmmm, was the low quality just better looking than the Hero? I played a video and it looked much less pixelated and blurry than the Hero, and I didn't change any setting.

5. Adrift

Adrift Well-Known Member

I didn't know about this either...

I can say that the Moment's youtube playing looks far better, less chop much smoother, will have to put it on High now :)

6. ggoldfingerd

ggoldfingerd Active Member

The lower quality does look a little better than the Hero, mainly because the screen in 24-bit which makes the video seem less pixelated. Things I notice is that when you scroll through comments, the Moment is smoother. The Hero is choppy. Scroll slowly and you will see this.

7. pking

pking Well-Known Member

There are big quality differences between individual videos as well which could account for video looking better on the Moment, and then there's also that sweet, sweet AMOLED - the wider color range may just make the video look better.

The YouTube player tries to determine how you're connected to the net to set the quality - if you're on 3G, the default is 'low', on wifi the default is 'high'.

Unfortunately it doesn't look like this setting gets saved between sessions, I've had to manually change to 'high quality' when using 3G each time I open the app - both on the Hero and the Moment, it's the same app.