Youtube problem and viewing dvdGeneral

Last Updated:

1. seal71

seal71 New Member This Topic's Starter

New to this, so please bear with. While trying to watch YouTube videos, continuously get the "Cannot play video" popup. From reading other posts, I haven't used Wi-Fi, but have full 3G coverage. Not sure what this means, but any reply will help. Also, put some dvds onto my Eris that are in .m4v. Not sure if this is the correct format, but have downloaded a couple of video viewer apps from the marketplace, and everytime I play, it says "Cannot play video." If anyone can please help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Advertisement
  2. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

There is a known You Tube problem since the first over-the-air update. Most people have to go to the You Tube website.

3. seal71

seal71 New Member This Topic's Starter

I know that there has been a problem, and appreciate your help. I can view the video by using the browser. The only problem is, I still have to select the video like 5 or 6 times to be able to view it, because the "Cannot view video" keeps coming up. When I finally get it to play, the quality is terrible. Also looking for help on the dvd issue.

4. mc48

mc48 Well-Known Member

I have run into this with many videos as well, esp. ones embedded on certain blogs and news sites. I don't understand all the technical stuff but from what I have read on the forums it is a problem with the version of flash. The Eris only supports flash 7 or something like that and some vids are flash 10. It is unclear whether the Eris will ever be able to support the higher flash even after the 2.0/2.1 update but I am hoping so.

and yes the stock youtube app that came with the Eris worked just fine before the first update but somehow the update made it inoperable. I am hoping fix this with an update soon as I liked the option for the enhanced view. Until then we have to go to youtube directly in the browser to watch most youtubes.

5. butthead007

butthead007 Well-Known Member

The update fixes you tube issue. Download any video converter and convert video to mp4 with x264 Costc. Works perfectly.

6. mss12

mss12 Well-Known Member

I wonder if the youtube app will ever work again, even on dolphin browser I cant get youtube videos to play. Dissapointing

7. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

It looks like it is a mixed bag with youtube. Some people have no problems and others can't get anything to work. I often wonder if other apps are interfering with the app or function.

There is only one video player that I can see that will play .m4v files. Media Player looks like it is the only one out there and it is $3.98. There is a trial version though. So your 2 options are to buy an app to play the videos or just convert them into .mp4 format instead. There are a few programs that will do this and some of them are discussed in this thread.

8. L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul Well-Known Member

Also be aware that the mobile YouTube videos are not always available. I upload a lot of my own videos and it can take days sometimes before my videos are available on the phone even though I can view them on the website. YouTube creates many versions of each video and it takes time for all of them to process. We don't get the same videos you get in the browser. Those are generally way to high a quality to playback smoothly on a phone.

I've checked this with my ipod touch as well. Whenever I hit a video that's not available I've also tried viewing it on my ipod touch in the youtube app and lo and behold it doesn't work there either.

That is after the latest update from last week. Before the update the youtube app on my eris did not function at all.

9. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

verizon saw a huge surge in bandwidth on their 3g network when the droids dropped, to the point it was going to crash, so the update that broke youtube app was intended to do just that to limit bandwidth use until they can reinforce their network.

the end.

10. OfTheDamned

Shhh don't tell them that mine still works then. ;)

11. Caddyman

they only let shiny happy people still use theirs.

12. 2ndaccord

2ndaccord Well-Known Member

Well I noticed that my youtube app never worked at all. But I do have a workaround thats works great for me. Type in m.youtube.com and bookmark it. I can view any video this way. I tried youtube.com/mobile but that never loads up i get a error message instead. If i'm in the youtube app i can only watch videos that ive seen before using m.youtube.com. I hope this helps until there is a real fix to the youtube issues.

13. OfTheDamned

As long as I don't HAVE to be happy or hold hands then I am fine with that. :D

14. OfTheDamned

Wow! Shill much? Why in the world would anyone pay $39.95 for a piece of software that does the exact same thing that a free piece of software will do?

BTW, do you even talk about anything else? All your posts are about this software. Pay the forum for advertising or STFU!

15. acipollo

acipollo Well-Known Member

I got it to work through Dolphin. Oddly, it wouldn't work when I selected HTC FLASHPLAYER, but it did work when I selected the Eris YouTube app :)

16. Caddyman

are you the developer Jimmy?

17. bigdroid

bigdroid Well-Known Member

I understand that there was a surge in bandwidth however I thought that Verizon released a statement or there was an article before the Droids were launched that there would not be any issues and they were all set as far as bandwidth was concerned. They wanted to make sure that they did not make the same mistake AT&T did. Correct me if I am wrong????

18. Caddyman

im sure you are right, i doubt what i said was true, sounded good though :p