• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help youtube "unable to connect to server"

davoid

Android Expert
Aug 3, 2011
London
Hi, as mentioned in the title, my youtube app tells me it is "unable to connect to server" when I tap on a video to watch. the app can list videos and their descriptions, but when I choose one, gives me the above error message.

I also have a similar problem when I click onto an embedded youtube video in a webpage. I then receive the message that it "Cannot play video: Sorry, this video cannot be played"

Using the template:

Android Version: 2.3.7
Network: Orange UK
Taskiller Used?: NO
[Optional]Are You rooted & which Rom: YES - Oxygen-2.3.2-Bravo
Issue: Youtube is stuffed...

Hi,

Just to let you know that I sorted the problem.

My recently installed firewall, DroidWall, was blocking something called Media server, which I only discovered was necessary to youtube by viewing the firewall logs.
This should be posted/plastered on the InterWeb. I spent hours looking for an answer, people going back to early 2012 asking same question getting nowhere or stupid replies. YouTube was working yesterday, installed some stupid crap from Google Play called AndroidMovieEditor or some such that asked permission to download extra files needed after install and YouTube Android app stopped playing videos. Kept getting same "Connection to server lost. Touch to retry" message that never helped. Checked Avast! firewall and sure enough it blocked Media Server! Unchecked firewall and YouTube works.
You're my new hero, davoid!!! THANK YOU!

Reactions: davoid
Upvote 0
@davoid:
BTW; almost 2 years to the day [plus a little] since you'd posted that great 'fix'. Just wanted to add first I'm no n00b and over half a century young I'm no puppy. I'm running a Samsung Galaxy S 1st Gen smartphone with SlimBean 4.3 2.2 OS similar to Jellybean/KitKat these days. Old phone, Linux-style OS since Samsung stopped updates at Froyo 2 2 some time ago and new apps [not even simple games like Angry Birds!] won't even run on Froyo. Your advice in this instance was timeless it would seem. Thought you'd possibly get a kick out of this little tidbit, or at least I hope it puts a smile on your face at least half as big as the smile you put on mine. Have a good one, Sir Davoid, hoping good karma or just good things in general if karmas not your thing, comes your way! In my opinion the universe owes you one for this.
PS: At my age I don't pick my heroes lightly. You got my vote this time!
Stupid 'smartphones', stupid developers. Really burns my bacon at times. Need more like you sharing, need more links to your 'fix' as saw hundreds of people still running into this same issue when Searching to find an answer. Happy, happy that you're remedy was still in the DuckDuckGo database after all this time!
Awesome!
Thanks again!

Reactions: davoid and Hadron
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones