Z Ultra gets a GPE variantTips

1. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Advertisement
    xacto likes this.
  2. xacto

xacto Well-Known Member

They might come with a Z1 GPE variant, but looking at the update process of other OEMs that released such phones, the whole thing might not be so attractive since updating the OS takes a lot longer than the Nexus line anyways.

And since the Z1 has a very lightly skinned Android to begin with, I am not very excited about a GPE version of it, I am pretty much happy as it is.
  3. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Yeah, I'm normally an AOSP kinda guy, but if I had the choice between a GPE & what I have now, I'd probably stick with stock.

I'm not massively fussed about the latest updates, as long as what I have works.
    xacto likes this.
  4. xacto

xacto Well-Known Member

I have come to this Z1 from a Galaxy S3; before rooting and installing CM on that one, phone was laggy, slow and unresponsive, a sad experience. It usually took up to 5 seconds to open my contacts, and there weren't so many, about 80.

But this Z1 is clearly another league, hardware and software; even if there would be a CM version for it, I don't think I would install it now, because there isn't much need to do so. Oh yes, the latest Android version, but the changes in Kit Kat aren't a world changer for me, and I can live without them. I just don't need any more hassle with radio, or wifi signal or some other problems still present in nightlies. I will be patiently waiting for Sony's updates, and when they stop coming I will move on to another Xperia, who knows, maybe Z2, if it turns out to be an improvement over the Z1.