dave5777 Active Member

I missed out on Visionary before it was pulled from the market,
    I stumbled across Z4root which lets you choose between temp & perm
    root. I haven't tried permanent but temp works great. Removed all bloatware
    with titanium backup recovery exploit.

Advertisement
  2. treat

treat Member

Has anyone done the perm root? I want to hear from other people if they have
  3. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

dgarcia1688 and khmergod like this.
  4. khmergod

khmergod Member

I'm new to this and rooted my phone using z4root temporary only. I still do not know how to install kernals so I can use an overclock app. Can anyone help with this issue?
  5. chrlswltrs

Just responded to your pm, get permroot and s=off, then go from there.
    khmergod likes this.
  6. khmergod

khmergod Member

Don't know how to do s=off.
  7. chrlswltrs

It's easy, I'm at dinner with the wife right now, ill post a link with some easy instructions when I get back home
    khmergod likes this.
  8. khmergod

khmergod Member

I appreciate your help. I'm halfway there. Perm rooted, now I just need steps 2 and 3 which are hboot s=off whatever that means, and then find and install iced glacier.
  9. chrlswltrs

Guide to permaroot, s=off AND s=on!!!!! - xda-developers

If you are already permrooted just download the root.rar file and skip to step 3

I used terminal (Android Terminal Emulator - Android app on AppBrain if you don't already have it you should if you plan on using ROMs and modding your phone you will need it t some point anyways)

That is the only step you need to do if you are permrooted already.

I will be flashing the same ROM, probably tonight.
    khmergod likes this.
  10. khmergod

khmergod Member

If I'm permrooted using visionary do I still need to download root.rar? I'm also not sure of which step is 3 lol. Lots of 3's in that post.
  11. chrlswltrs

Yes, you still need the root.rar file, and unzip it to /sdcard. This is the step 3 you need, just choose your method. I prefer Terminal, but it's your choice:

Terminal Emulator Method
    3a. Start terminal emulator up on your device.(I prefer this method b/c you can see the output.)

a. type "su" + enter to gain root privileges.

b. Type "cd /sdcard/root" + enter.

c. Type "sh root.sh" + enter.

d. Follow the on screen prompts.

File Explorer Method
    3b. Start up root explorer, sufbs, or some other type of file browser with root privileges.

a. Navigate to /sdcard/root on your device.

b. Click on root.sh and allow it to run. Some file browsers ask you if you want to or not.

c. Now wait about 18 to 20 seconds and restart your device into the bootloader to check if S=off is displayed.

4. Start the device back up.
    dgarcia1688 and khmergod like this.
  12. khmergod

khmergod Member

Ok did exactly and it was working. Told me to load bootloader...lol how?
  13. chrlswltrs

You talking about that step? To load into bootloader turn off your phone, then hold the volume down and power button to turn it on and it will start into the bootloader menu
    khmergod likes this.
  14. khmergod

khmergod Member

Ok next step is to get rom/kernel? And to install. I appreciate all your help, you actually simplifed it for me! Where and how?
  15. chrlswltrs

I went with Iced Glacier, non themed. I really like the look of it and it is super fast (comes with overclocked kernal) and it is working great.

Easy install, noob guide:

1. Use Google Goggles or Barcode scanner to scan QR code in thread for v1.11 either themed or non themed. It will download straight to your SDcard
    2. Open ROM manager - Flash ClockworkMod Recovery, then select Install ROM from SD Card. Navigate to "download/" then choose the ROM you just downloaded. Check both "Backup ROM" and "Wipe data and cache" -> Hit ok and let it run

That's it!
    dave5777 and khmergod like this.
  16. khmergod

khmergod Member

Downloading to PC as we speak then putting it in my download folder. The barcode download kept failing. So close to finishing! lol! I owe you!
  17. khmergod

khmergod Member

Ok i went into rom manage and did as you asked. I'm at the bootloader that says clockwork mod recovery v2.5.1.2, now what? There's about 7 options to choose from
    -reboot system now
    -apply sdcard:update.zip
    -wipe data /factory reset
    -wipe cache partition
    -install zip from sdcard
    -backup and restore
    -mounts and storage
    -advanced
  18. chrlswltrs

Mine did it all automatically, but to do it manually step by step:
    1. wipe data/ factory reset
    2. wipe cache partition
    3. install zip from sd -> choose zip -> navigate to the folder you put the ROM in and select it

Should run through everything and be good to go from there.
    khmergod likes this.
  19. khmergod

khmergod Member

Ok I went ahead and retried it in rom manager and it actually started working. THANKS!
  20. chrlswltrs

No problem, glad I could help!
    khmergod likes this.
  21. dave5777

dave5777 Active Member

Thanks Charlie, I love Iced Glacier. I also had to run clockwork a second time
    for it to run automatically.
  22. Blueback

Blueback New Member

Perm root isnt really perm, it just doesnt reset when you reboot your phone. You can go back into Z4Root and anytime and "unroot" your phone.
  23. dgarcia1688

dgarcia1688 Member

i need some help...im in terminal emulator, i type in su and it says superuser allowed.
    i then type in cd /sdcard/root and the press enter and it says "cd: can't cd to /sdcard/root

someone help me please. i used the visionary and have the perm unlock
  24. dgarcia1688

dgarcia1688 Member

never mind i still had my phone connected to my pc so that was causing the error. it is not s=off. awesome thread :)
  25. RavenWulf

RavenWulf Well-Known Member

if you're gonna be flashing custom ROMs or overclock kernels then you want S=OFF not S=ON. on xda-developers one of the guys over there has instructions on "the ultimate" S=OFF, it not only lets you flash ROMs and such but it also unlocks your phone for use on other carriers without having to contact TMO to get unlock code

TRUE PermaRoot and the ULTIMATE S=Off!!! Check this out even if you're rooted!!! - xda-developers