1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Zeam Launcher anyone?

Last Updated:

1. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I saw a recommendation to try Zeam Launcher. I currently am using (as are many others) LauncherPro.

Was curious, anyone else using Zeam? Very lightweight and fast. Not as many options as LP, but nonetheless a very nice option for a home replacement.

Zeam Launcher - Android app on AppBrain

Advertisement
  2. jwade80

jwade80 Active Member

Yea, it's not bad at all. I really like the dock. It would be perfect if the dock icons supported gestures like LP.

3. TheXFactor

TheXFactor Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

The thing I don't like about zeam is you can't really customize the dock. That and you can't hide apps like LP.

4. sund0wn

sund0wn Well-Known Member

+1
    I tried out zeam for a bit, but ended up right back at LP. i am addicted to the swype gestures.

5. brackett5

brackett5 Well-Known Member

What's with the swype gestures? What exactly do they do?

6. FoxtrotUniform

FoxtrotUniform Well-Known Member

He means swipe gestures. In LP+ you can assign an action to any dock icon where you hold on it then swipe your finger up, performing an action. So you can put two actions to every dock icon. Pretty friggin sweet :)

KoukiFC3S and sund0wn like this.
  7. sund0wn

ah yes, i sure did. you see, swype is already brainwashing me. :p

8. brackett5

I figured it out and I don't see the big deal really. Sorry.

9. sund0wn

i can see that. i just like to keep my main screen clean, and that dock allows me to get to 10 different applications from the home page with no icons up on the screen.
    [​IMG]

10. brackett5

I LOVE the docks, just don't see the hype about the swipe gestures.

11. dlaxman31

dlaxman31 Well-Known Member

your screen shot didn't work. Can someone show me an example of what the swype feature is all about.

12. binary visions

binary visions Well-Known Member

Different strokes is all. I like to minimize the number of icons, so I have, for instance, my phone launching the dialer, and swiping the phone launching Google Voice. Web icon launches Dolphin, while swiping launches the stock browser. Map icon launches maps, swiping launches Navigation. Means I have 5 icon slots, but 10 apps launching.

dlaxman31, a screenshot isn't going to help. All that it does is allow you to press a dock icon for one shortcut, and swipe the dock icon for another shortcut. Works nicely.

13. dlaxman31

dlaxman31 Well-Known Member

I'll have to download and give it a try when I get my phone tomorrow.

14. JaeWeb

JaeWeb Well-Known Member

I had Zeam, but had to so a mater reset on my Cliq. I went back to the marker to download it again and its gone. I can't find it! I has a sad.

15. theineffablebob

theineffablebob Well-Known Member

Zeam does seem faster than LauncherPro, but LP has way more features so... I'm sticking with it.

16. karma2burn

karma2burn Well-Known Member

I'm the same way. I have almost no widgets on any of my screens. I can't stand clutter on my screens either on my pc or my phone. The swipe gestures on the dock icons of LPP is a godsend. Between that and the scrollable dock there is almost no need for any widgets on my screens.

17. crboone

crboone Well-Known Member

I just went in the other direction and am now using Zeam. I really like it. I didn't care as much for the LP swipe on the dock icons (it was hard for me to get them to work the first time most of the time, and I would just get the "main" app from the icon. So I would swipe, get the wrong app, have to close it out, swipe again, etc). I'm sure others have mastered that better than my fat fingers will allow. :)

I also like the 6-app/icon, scrolling dock on Zeam. I just realized that I can put more than 6 icons on the doc and scroll it (though I don't know what the limit is yet). I know that LP has a scrollable dock as well, but I just like the smaller 6-icon Zeam doc (even though that's less than 10 apps if you include swiping the icons). I even like Zeam's simple "faded" dock appearance better than the list of docks you can download for LP. (Again, not that LP doesn't have some very nice docks -- it does. But the faded one goes well with my clock widget perfectly, so I'm settled on it).

I also like swiping my notification bar down, and swiping up for the app center, and double-tapping for the screen previews. And it is just *quick*. I had quite a bit of lag with LP, and really none that's noticeable on Zeam. The footprint is much smaller and it seems to use less battery. And I don't get stuck icons when I hold them down indicating that I need to get the paid version to resize the icons. (I know it's good to pay for the full version, but I just don't need it, which is probably why I like Zeam to begin with).

I suppose the bottom line is that LP has more features/functionality and Zeam is simpler without being ugly (at least to me) like Blur. It does just what I need and nothing more -- and too much stuff just confuses me. Ha ha. Like some have stated that they like uncluttered screens, I prefer a simplistic launcher with just the functionality I like. I also tend to put my apps in FolderOrganizer (coming from the BB Storm, I'm just used to that kind of organization), and I don't use a large number of widgets nor require too many screens. So it works out well.

Plus, the Zeam dock is accessible from the app center page as well, not just a home button on the bottom. So you have slightly quicker task switching there.

Zeam would definitely not win out in a launcher competition by any means, but for a few like myself, it's just right.

* I am in no way affiliated with Zeam nor do I receive any kickbacks from the Zeam developer. :)

18. Lukehluke

Lukehluke Well-Known Member

I have not tried that launcher yet but it does look really good.

19. sookster54

sookster54 Well-Known Member

Zeam is great especially for lower end Androids with 600MHz or lower CPU and significantly cuts lag down over the standard UI or manufacturer UI. Helix Launcher is about the only other lightweight launcher to compete with but it hardly has anything and G2's Launcher2 is better off (if you can find a working standalone version). Also give LiveHome a shot, great customization in there, I have every single app with its own icon I downloaded from icon websites.

Otherwise if you have a newer Android phone then you may as well go with ADW Launcher or LauncherPro.

20. MisterMixelpix

MisterMixelpix Well-Known Member

ADW's dock is better. c_c

21. flonkas

flonkas Well-Known Member

Zeam is fast and simple. I love it. It has all the basic goodies and is a good replacement for touch wiz.