• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Zefie vs Joey

i've heard good things about joey's kernel in terms of things running well... i think he took out a lot of things that aren't really needed to try and optimize the kernel. pretty awesome for someone who's been compiling kernels for such a short time.

that being said, i'm running zefie's 14.2 - it's been running really well - has all the bells and whistles that i'm looking for, he went back to the original graphic drivers so that lines are gone, and now with being able to apply the kernel via recovery it's pretty awesome. plus, i'd say that he knows the moment kernels better than most other people.

but that's imho. they're doing great things over at SDX and zefie's still doing amazing stuff... it's only a win-win for us end-users.

Upvote 0
i've heard good things about joey's kernel in terms of things running well... i think he took out a lot of things that aren't really needed to try and optimize the kernel. pretty awesome for someone who's been compiling kernels for such a short time.

that being said, i'm running zefie's 14.2 - it's been running really well - has all the bells and whistles that i'm looking for, he went back to the original graphic drivers so that lines are gone, and now with being able to apply the kernel via recovery it's pretty awesome. plus, i'd say that he knows the moment kernels better than most other people.

but that's imho. they're doing great things over at SDX and zefie's still doing amazing stuff... it's only a win-win for us end-users.
I switch back and forth but Zefie's 14.2 was no good for me. I had my phone on the charger for 8 hours and it still indicated only 80% full. When I took the phone off the charger it went down to 50% within 45 minutes. I flashed back to joey's, put my phone on the charger and an hour later I was at 100%. By 10pm, I was at 65%.

I'd post this over on zefie's site but he'll just get mad that I dared to criticize without donating. ;)

Upvote 0
I posted a test kernel over at SDX (speedrabbit-SDX-1.5.tar). It's based on joey's and but has some of the extra features added (kernel support for wifi tethering, openvpn tunnels, built-in _superuser protection_).

And it can be flashed live (doesn't need recovery). I would expect to see joey and samiel's kernels being live flashable on the next release or two also. It's something that's been doable for a while but everybody has been focused on other things. I agree, this is a big improvement! I'm on OS X most of the time so using the Sprint updater is a real pain, but now it's easy as pie. I don't even need to reboot to recovery!

All the kernels work well. Mostly I wanted a kernel without any drama or implied threats, but in which I could have some of the extras. I wanted to be able to compile it myself so I know what goes into it, and likewise, I want others to be able to do that. We're working on better instructions to help people be able to build stuff from source themselves if they want.

Reactions: Othan1 and numus
Upvote 0
I switch back and forth but Zefie's 14.2 was no good for me. I had my phone on the charger for 8 hours and it still indicated only 80% full. When I took the phone off the charger it went down to 50% within 45 minutes. I flashed back to joey's, put my phone on the charger and an hour later I was at 100%. By 10pm, I was at 65%.

I'd post this over on zefie's site but he'll just get mad that I dared to criticize without donating. ;)
Only donation we ask at SDX is either your time, or if you buy on amazon just use our webhosts referral so he gets a kickback from the profit (costs the user nothing else)... all money donated to the paypal account (my personal one) is not for my use.. it is for the website (different operational costs) and i am trying to save up to possibly buy a vbulletin license (costs 200 dollars.. i have half of it now from donations)

Upvote 0
I'm still running Zefie's 12.1 just for the fact that my battery headaches disappear.Now with heavy usage meaning data,bluetooth,pandora,texting I get two full days on a single charge.That's why i haven't updated afraid I might go back to having battery problems but the lines are still there and I heard on the latest kernel the lines are gone.Can anyone comment on how's the battery life on the latest kernel?Thx!

Upvote 0
I tried zefie's 14.3 yesterday and I am not sure if I had a bad install or if it was just dumb luck, but of the nine phone calls I received yesterday, only once did my phone actually ring. This was all day in multiple locations. I have not seen any other reports of this issue though, so I doubt zefie's kernel was the culprit.

I loaded speedrabbit's kernel from SDX last night and so far I have nothing to complain about.

Upvote 0
14.2 here, no lines, and battery life is the usual ZE, that is to say in excess of 16hrs for my 'regular' use.

Two push email accounts.
Twitter
FB
SMS
Some general brief news/weather web browsing a few times a day.

I'm not a music player guy, have GPS disabled, generally Wi-Fi disabled too.

Had same battery results with 13.3 but had lines on the display occasionally.

Upvote 0
Why anyone would would accept a Touch Pro to replace a Moment is beyond me. It's like going back to the Ford dealer and trading a new 2010 Mustang straight up for 2006 Focus with a nasty oil leak.
I'd go back to a dumbphone before going back to a Windows Mobile device. Although I guess you can get Android to run on the TP2...still, not sure it's worth owning one for that reason alone.

Reactions: pastafarian
Upvote 0
Actually hes getting a touch pro 2 witch is a waaaaay better phone then the touch pro 1 witch is junk

Much better! His tweets indicated he was getting the TP. Still poor dead in the water winmo though. The Windows Phone 7 announcement essentially dead ends every winmo device still being sold. As if it's general WM suckyness wasn't already enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones