• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I only had Zen installed briefly a couple of days ago, and I didn't test the voice mail glitch after blocking 9016. I'll reinstall Zen later today and see if the "fix" worked for me or not.

Update.

I reinstalled Zen and tested vvm again, and it still has the text alerts despite my blacklisting 9016 on my Sprint account >36 hours ago.

That, plus the no gmail-push, means that this ROM is a no go for me. Too bad, since the rest of the ROM is so smooth. But, vvm and gmail push are two absolute requirements for me and, I imagine, many other Hero users.

Reactions: JB in AZ
Upvote 0
Update.

I reinstalled Zen and tested vvm again, and it still has the text alerts despite my blacklisting 9016 on my Sprint account >36 hours ago.

That, plus the no gmail-push, means that this ROM is a no go for me. Too bad, since the rest of the ROM is so smooth. But, vvm and gmail push are two absolute requirements for me and, I imagine, many other Hero users.
Thanks for testing this, Bill! I have confirmed that Handcent will effectively block the offending 9016 texts. Immediately. I find plusses and minuses in both the stock app and Handcent. So this is a possible fix for me, althou I would prefer to be able to use the stock app....and I don't need gmail push.

I will be staying with the Zen Rom for now, as it is very smooth and fast, and I like the way it looks, but I would still like to find a way to stop the texts announcing the VVM. I wonder if a call to Sprint will block 9016?

Upvote 0
Update.

Yeah, I had Cust Service block a guy that was texting me obscenities all the time (kept telling him I was a nerdy white guy, yet he thought I was a chick), I had to call them twice to actually get that number blocked. I called them last night to see if they could fix the 9016 texts and she said that she blocked it yet it was still going through, so my only guess is that you may have to block it2 or 3 times to get it to stick. Other than using Handcent, which I prefer over the stock sms because of the lockscreen popup.

Come to think of it my AT&T mail doesn't seem to be auto updating either. It was the other day, but today it isn't after I re-flashed last night. Wonder if it sticks sometimes and doesn't other times, can anyone confirm this?
Maybe the Gmail is the same, but I doubt it since so many have confirmed that it doesn't work properly it doubtful that it's hit and miss, more likely broken.

Upvote 0
Trying a different radio this morning to see if that helps my signal with this ROM. I don't know how to update my PRL through adb shell, so that may still be an issue. And my PRI (I don't know what that is) reads that it is "flipz_01" so it is from a Fresh ROM. Could that be an issue with my reception too?

Other than that I don't find any issues with ZenEXP. It's faster and smoother than Fresh Toast 2.1!

Gmail would be an issue like others have said, but I don't use the gmail account I set up for my phone for anything important. It's just so I can use Google Voice. Instead I use gmail through Google Apps with a couple of domain names I own for my main personal email and another for business. Those accounts only need to be checked at certain times so it all works out.

Upvote 0
Gmail is a PITA, but oh well. It isn't that important to me. (I don't use it for work or anything)

As far as the prl update... You can do a nandroid restore to a sprint rom that works, update it, and nandroid back to ZENRom, with the updated prl. I read that in another thread, and forgot to post it here. If I can find it I will post up the link.

<EDIT> Here is the link;
http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/104401-update-your-prl-60666-a.html

Reactions: Fenga Papit
Upvote 0
Installed this ROM last night and VERY happy so far.

I too ran into the Force Close issue with HTC Sense but only after I tried restoring some Titanium Backup data. Flashed the ROM again, and manually installed and updated and that resolved that issue.

I'm also getting the text messages from 9016 and do have Handcent installed, but I only see where I can check off show blacklist, but not where I can add to a blacklist. Anyone care to share how this is done?

Fenga I show the same PRI of flipz_01 and my PRL is still 60665. I'm not showing any difference in signal coverage here.

One last question, and I may have to visit XDA to find out, can we flash new boot animations to this? I don't mind that it's sprint, but after coming from Fresh ROM's, I liked not seeing it.

Ok, so final question... did anyone else in the Zen Updater flash the Toasted #65 kernal?

Reactions: Fenga Papit
Upvote 0
Installed this ROM last night and VERY happy so far.

I too ran into the Force Close issue with HTC Sense but only after I tried restoring some Titanium Backup data. Flashed the ROM again, and manually installed and updated and that resolved that issue.

I'm also getting the text messages from 9016 and do have Handcent installed, but I only see where I can check off show blacklist, but not where I can add to a blacklist. Anyone care to share how this is done?

Fenga I show the same PRI of flipz_01 and my PRL is still 60665. I'm not showing any difference in signal coverage here.

One last question, and I may have to visit XDA to find out, can we flash new boot animations to this? I don't mind that it's sprint, but after coming from Fresh ROM's, I liked not seeing it.

Ok, so final question... did anyone else in the Zen Updater flash the Toasted #65 kernal?

From what I've read, we can't flash anything to it that wasn't made specifically for this rom.... I read that in zenulator's first post @ xda...

Upvote 0
Gmail is a PITA, but oh well. It isn't that important to me. (I don't use it for work or anything)

As far as the prl update... You can do a nandroid restore to a sprint rom that works, update it, and nandroid back to ZENRom, with the updated prl. I read that in another thread, and forgot to post it here. If I can find it I will post up the link.

<EDIT> Here is the link;
http://androidforums.com/sprint-htc-hero/104401-update-your-prl-60666-a.html
Good, I'll try this. Dumb question: Do I need to wipe between these nandroid restores? (going back and forth like this)

Upvote 0
Well, everything I'm reading points the finger at this SMS notification coming from Sprints VM system, and that there is nothing you can do on the phone to rectify it. That explains why with GV you don't get the SMS notification. Sprint has it built right into their system and it seems to be affecting all Sprint users, not just us.

Guess I'll be setting up GV before the days end.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones