• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Zenithink ZT-180 1GHz 10" tablet

So lemme get this straight. The Zenithink ZT-180 is still a great tablet even if the processor is not the A8 as they claimed it to be?

How will this affect anything? (I'm such a noob!)

1. Will it still be able to upgrade to Android 2.2 (once an update is released)
2. Does it affect the tablet's video playing (any format, 720 vs 1080)
3. Will we still get Android Marketplace with it (in the future)
4. Does it affect the Wifi or the web browsing in general?

Arm11 vs A8 Cortex - Is it really that big of a deal? I mean for a tablet that's less than $300, is it really a deal breaker?

Thanks
R :)

Upvote 0
So lemme get this straight. The Zenithink ZT-180 is still a great tablet even if the processor is not the A8 as they claimed it to be?

How will this affect anything? (I'm such a noob!)

1. Will it still be able to upgrade to Android 2.2 (once an update is released)
Yes
2. Does it affect the tablet's video playing (any format, 720 vs 1080)
Possibly. The A8 has more performance.
3. Will we still get Android Marketplace with it (in the future)
Probably not, except as a work around.
4. Does it affect the Wifi or the web browsing in general?
For the most part no, but Adobe has stated that the A8 is required for full flash support.

Arm11 vs A8 Cortex - Is it really that big of a deal? I mean for a tablet that's less than $300, is it really a deal breaker?

Thanks
R :)

Reactions: chipsandnuts
Upvote 0
Woah, that's a good price. It's nice to see price fall back now that the real CPU secret is out.

You get about 2 to 4 hours battery life depending on the use, but the company claim that they will release firmware to improve it.

I typically have the brightness below half, because it is kinda bright. I can light-up a completely dark room with this screen.

Upvote 0
There is a Telechip based APAD on ebay:
10 Inch Apad Android 2.1 - eBay (item 170517276467 end time Aug-21-10 00:59:39 PDT)

Does anybody know anything about this one?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
I'll give it a go when I get back. But at this point, there is a USB port, so I've been using that to store files from my PC that I want to store on it, so there has been no point as of now.

I did flash it successfully using the OTG USB port, which installed a driver, but this is the flash mode.

EDIT: Get back, as in get home from work. 2 hours maybe.

EDIT: tested and no connection.

Upvote 0
My 10inch ( I presume its a Zenithink ) came from Shenzen Topsky, and was ordered through Aliexpress - this site has Escrow - which is a system where you pay your money on order to the site ( AliExpress group is also YahooChina ) who keep the money ( or you can use Paypal credit ) for you, the goods get sent, and tracked, and delivered, you confirm delivery and that the goods are correct, and then you confirm to AliExpress and the money gets paid to the dealer. If the dealer doesn`t deliver within a set time - usually a set number of days - then you automatically get your money back. ( Which happened to me with another supplier who couldn`t supply on time. )
I have used this system a few times now and it appears to be a very secure way of ordering business. Its important to use AliExpress if you want it to be secured as the main site Alibaba is much more open and free wheeling and you take risks.
To be honest I have had a look at my order from Shenzen Topsky, who by the way have given excellent service and with speed, and they have been completely honest in what they have sold me, the description has read the in question ZT-180 but in no way implied that it was an Cortex A8 ( that association has been generated elsewhere and this had led me to believe the specs I had purchased on were not correct ) ( the machine identifies itself as an Armv6 processor )they have also correctly indentified the op-system, the ports and the fact it is a 1080p player. I do however only have a mono sound output and I`m not sure if that is hardware or software related.
The price I paid was and still is US $183.00 or so, with delivery to AU a total of - US $217.00. So I didn`t pay a high price in the first place so I`m happy.

Upvote 0
today I was talking on my phone with my ePad. As my phone got close to my ePad, the GSM noise would output through the ePad. I kept it there and noticed the change in sound when I spoke.

The closer it got to the ePad, the louder it went. The noise still existed after turning off the wifi on the ePad.

This makes me wonder what kind of electrical testing was completed on this device.

Upvote 0
any luck with connecting the ZT-180 to your computer yet?
and do you know wether the firmware shown the the thread over at xda is any newer than the on shipped on my Epad?

model number P7901a
firmware version 2.1-update 1
kernel version 2.6.32.9
build number p7901a-eng 2.1-update 1 ERE27 eng.root.20100708.111326 test-keys

Upvote 0
read my post above. Not connecting. I've got your firmware version, but that does not really matter because for the dev version, they just keep the same version on the unit because it is not supposed to be distributed.

Many different firmwares will have that version number. Just wait for the first customer release. Should not be long now.

Upvote 0
read my post above. Not connecting. I've got your firmware version, but that does not really matter because for the dev version, they just keep the same version on the unit because it is not supposed to be distributed.

Many different firmwares will have that version number. Just wait for the first customer release. Should not be long now.

Hi, new member here. Thanks for all the info you (and others) have been providing on these new tablets. I have one on the way and have been following all the craziness thus far! When you say "first customer release", do you mean from Zenithink, the vendor you bought the unit from, or the build Willo on slatedroid.com appears to be working on with FC?

Thx!

P.S. I have seen these ZT-180 units being sold and rebranded from so many different places. They are liketly going to be everywhere before we know it. IMO, even though they aren't the A8 as some vendors touted, this can only be a good thing. I'm a little bummed if they can't run Android 2.2 and flash, but you can't have everything. I only paid $207 shipped, so I won't be greedy!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It's a bit confusing but the one at US $350.52 - 392.78 is for a lot of 2. The other is for just 1 piece.

I will be buying 5 from Kam today. I chatted with him over the whole day yesterday and he is testing all of them before he sends them. He also gave me so money off.

now here is the part that SLAYS me.

the alibab seller that was recommended because his TCC 10" was $175 (roughly)+s/h still has the ZT180 for sale at (hold on ) $350 + s/h

Pardon me, but isnt that HIGHER than before?

Wholesale 10inch MID EPAD UMPC ZT 180 with Android 2.1 OS Tablet PC 256MB RAM Laptop Telechip Dual core

oy!

same guy with his TCC 10"

Wholesale 10inch MID tablet pc with Telechip Android 2.1 OS Tablet PC Dual core 1.2GHz 256MB RAM Laptop UMPC

Upvote 0
Hello from Thailand...
I've just ordered mine yesterday (30 July) at Aliexpress.
It will take 10 days for order processing, so i expect to get it via EMS around mid of August (the status says 'stock', so i hope the seller can ship faster than 10 days).
Will test the unit and write a brief review after i received and tested.
Happy to see you all who share the same interesting gadget.

PS: Sorry about my poor English.

I have ordered another item, on July 30th, with another seller who take 5 processing days. The item is promised to be shipped on August 4th PM. So, i will get it around August 11th.

By the way, the item page has been updated with following information;

Dear customers, attention please:

This model is a new product and the firmware does not support the USB 3G or the Android market function temporarily. The firmware updating is in the process of R&D (research and development). It is planned to be finished within this month and we will provide the regular customers with the new version thereafter by sending a link for downloading to upgrade.

Also, CPU information has changed from "Zenithink ZT-180" into "Telechip,CPU Dual Core 1.2GHZ"

This is quite frustrating for me. Support for USB 3G doesn't matter to me because i won't use it outside my house. Not support for Android market can be some problems. Can work-around for .apk anyway.

But the CPU details is quite strange. I tried to find one with Telechip long before ordering this Zenithink one. If it is real, it will be great.

What do you think about this? See more info in below link:

Wholesale 10inch MID tablet pc with Telechip Android 2.1 OS Tablet PC Dual core 1.2GHz 256MB RAM Laptop UMPC

Upvote 0
Beware!

Thats just the normal telechips MID. They are counting the CPU and DSP clock speed together. The CPU is only 600MHz or 720MHz.

It looks like you were cheated. You need to demand a Zenithink ZT-180 unit as promised.

I have ordered another item, on July 30th, with another seller who take 5 processing days. The item is promised to be shipped on August 4th PM. So, i will get it around August 11th.

By the way, the item page has been updated with following information;

Dear customers, attention please:

This model is a new product and the firmware does not support the USB 3G or the Android market function temporarily. The firmware updating is in the process of R&D (research and development). It is planned to be finished within this month and we will provide the regular customers with the new version thereafter by sending a link for downloading to upgrade.

Also, CPU information has changed from "Zenithink ZT-180" into "Telechip,CPU Dual Core 1.2GHZ"

This is quite frustrating for me. Support for USB 3G doesn't matter to me because i won't use it outside my house. Not support for Android market can be some problems. Can work-around for .apk anyway.

But the CPU details is quite strange. I tried to find one with Telechip long before ordering this Zenithink one. If it is real, it will be great.

What do you think about this? See more info in below link:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones