[ZIP] MMS FIX FOR CM/AOSP/AOKP (THANKS wolfu)

Last Updated: 2013-11-01 04:30:14
  1. zaius42

zaius42 Well-Known Member

I think it would be awesome if we had a how-to on how to fix a native mms apk so we can keep all the settings and theming the native apk has but adding the functionality. Or at the very minimum a single JB Mms.apk with all its native settings working.

I wouldn't mind going through the work if I knew how to do that. Cause I apparently suck at even decrypting apks.

So, anyone wanna put that on their to-do list? Dont make me beg.

Advertisement
  2. davidmargolin

davidmargolin Well-Known Member

there is currently no way to get mms on any other mms.apk...
    we are stuck with lens_flare's apk until we can figure out what in its mms handling processes makes it different from other apps...
    you can try a third part app like handcent for now...
  3. krowley3

krowley3 Well-Known Member

You can try this.....
    MmsFix.zip

Credits goes to Brooksyx at XDA as I just grabbed a fix he had posted awhile back, edited the script and swapped the apns-config.xml. Please let me know if it works. This should only do what I have listed in my instructions. I have flashed this to make sure it does work, but I was working before I flashed. If confirmed working, davidmargolin please put in the OP and include the credits I have given to Brooksyx.
    Ostrich Egg and adamhos1234 like this.
  4. davidmargolin

what does this do exactly?
  5. zaius42

zaius42 Well-Known Member

It replaces the apns_conf.xml with one that has a VMU apn, and then this:

[HIGH]#!/sbin/sh

case "$1" in
    backup)
    # Stub
    ;;
    restore)
    # Stub
    ;;
    pre-backup)
    # Stub
    ;;
    post-backup)
    # Stub
    ;;
    pre-restore)
    # Stub
    ;;
    post-restore)
    mount /data
    rm -f /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db
    rm -f /data/data/com.android.providers.telephony/databases/telephony.db-journal
    umount /data
    ;;
    esac[/HIGH]
  6. krowley3

What he said. You have to remove those databases to let them rebuild on boot for the new apns to take and I can confirm this does work. You will still of course need to swap the .apks with the ones in your OP.
    adamhos1234 likes this.
  7. adamhos1234

adamhos1234 Well-Known Member

This phone officially kicks ass now:)
  8. davidmargolin

so replace all steps after 8 with flashing the zip?
  9. krowley3

Exactly! Now we can work on updating the updater-script to install remove the MMS.apk included and replace with yours. This is something I have never done, but I am willing to try. I will start with the unthemed apk.
    davidmargolin likes this.
  10. davidmargolin

updated op to reflect new flashable... :)
  11. krowley3

Ostrich Egg likes this.
  12. davidmargolin

couldn't make it any easier... was planning to make a flashable but you beat me to it... will update op in a few...

also, does your script remove the old mms.apk or do people have to do that manually?
  13. ramjet73

ramjet73 Well-Known Member

Never mind. You figured it out. ;)

ramjet73
    krowley3 likes this.
  14. krowley3

It deletes it completely. This should do everything in one shot after flashing a ROM or anytime.
  15. wigginst

wigginst Well-Known Member

Wow guys! Great work turning this into a flash able. Just a day ago we didn't have working MMS and now there is an flash able zip fix! Assuming this has to be done at rom changes and or updates to a rom as well? I know after dirty flashing an update I had to switch the app again but the apns fix seemed to stick.
  16. dg61981

dg61981 Well-Known Member

Cannot get this to work at all. Running agrabens cm10 and have tried everything. Just flashed the zip u made and tried sending a MMS just says sending indefinitely. Also, I still can't receive SMS or MMS. I was running team dirt aokp about a half hour ago and this was happening. Decided to switch to cm10 to see if that would fix it. No such luck.
  17. davidmargolin

ok, congrats guyz, this is amazing and i love how much this is a real community effort with:
    someone coming up with an apk (lens)
    some1 figuring out apns (wolfu)
    some1 creating the zips (krowley3)

now we need to bring in all the features that the aosp app featured.. this includes things like sms splitting as well as other usefull features...
    phw8558 likes this.
  18. crashnova

crashnova Well-Known Member

19. davidmargolin

20. FatalIll

FatalIll Well-Known Member

Anyone know the reason for Go SMS not working with these fixes? I quite like Go SMS...
  21. zoomzabba

zoomzabba Active Member

I can confirm the Flashable apk for GANGAM. It even pushed the received MMS to GOSMS.
  22. droiddekka

droiddekka Well-Known Member

i second this. unfortunately i have the attention span of a 3 year old.

this is a huge component of the functionality of these roms and impacts whether or not people will buy this phone. it needs as much attention as possible.
  23. XAL2

XAL2 Well-Known Member

So David, all we have to do is flash whatever ROM we want to run, boot it up, Go into the recovery again and flash one of the zips of our choice?
  24. EHokie

EHokie Well-Known Member

Precisely. You don't need to wipe cache or anything, I assume.
    XAL2 likes this.
  25. Branhower

Branhower Active Member

I would like to nominate this thread for a sticky.