Zip vs IMG file extensions

Last Updated:

1. JimReid

JimReid Active Member

I have a LG Optimus V and have rooted it. I've tried several different ROM's using ROM Manager Pro. I have downloaded a ROM that is a IMG extention. ROM Manager doesn't seem to see it. Is there a major difference between the .ZIP extention for some ROM's and .IMG for others? And how do you flash an IMG file?

Any help would be appreciated.:)

Advertisement
  2. MacFett

MacFett Well-Known Member

Andyopie has a thread about Tom manager in the all things root section about what you can and can't do with it in the V.
  3. bigsupersquid

bigsupersquid Well-Known Member

.img files are for flashing with flash_image in terminal or adb shell, and also can be flashed with the fastboot tool as long as you have access to the bootloader (my new 2.2.2 zv5 baseband OV does not have access to the bootloader.)
    you can also flash .img files in recovery, but they have to look like a backup (be in the right folder and have a nandroid.md5 file made to fit)
    AndyOpie150 likes this.
  4. yogi-4

yogi-4 Well-Known Member

A little birdie told me that he's had success in flashing a few ROMs in Rom Manager for the 'V'. AndyOpie has a great thread about it here.
    I'm just correcting my original post. It seems as though Rom Manager has come a long way in regards to our 'V'.