Zooming problem in photos taken with SGSSupport

Last Updated:

1. davealison

davealison Member This Topic's Starter

When I take pics at full 5m resolution they look fine on the phone untill I zoom in for a closer look.... Then they look all fuzzy... ??? Anybody else having the same problem ?

I used to have an iphone 3g and when zooming in on the photos that I had taken on that phone ...it was still sharp until it got really close...???

Very wierd !!!

Advertisement
  2. ironman666

ironman666 Well-Known Member

I have notice this too, and had a massive google search for this last week, and suprisingly found almost no related hits. Only that in Gallary in A2.1 it got changed somehow from the one in android 2.0, to make faster zoom, but not really zooming, it only moves the "thumbnail" picture closer. Annoys me very much.

Also, when setting wallpapers from own pictures, they always became blurry. I've tried even to copy them over to my pc and resize them to 800x480 (thats the right resolution right? ) But they still look blurry as wallpaper.

On my old phone, HTC Hero, there is a viewer built into sense, that had no problem with pictures becoming blurry whenzooming

A solution might be to find a different imageviewer.

davealison likes this.
  3. -Ollie-

-Ollie- Well-Known Member

This was mentioned in early reviews of the GS, before it was even released.
    I don't know the reason for this limitation, but I agree, it is frustrating, especially when we know that it is possible on other devices.
    It might seem like a detail, but it is one of the details that make the first time user saying "wow" (or in this case, "s***, it doesn't zoom in correctly")

davealison likes this.
  4. davealison

any ideas on a good media viewer for photos ???:D

5. welshblood1956

welshblood1956 New Member

Just a thought; Are you taking your photos with the camera zoomed? If so, don't! Digital zoom electronically enlarges part of the picture, thus giving a pixelated ("fuzzy") effect when later viewed (especially when enlarged by further zooming, whilst viewing).
    Hope this helps.

6. -Ollie-

This is unfortunately not related to the use of the digital zoom when taking the picture :(
    The problem described can be observed even though the pic was taken without using the digital zoom.

7. davealison

yes like ollie pointed out.. NO DIGITAL ZOOM WAS USED TO TAKE THE PHOTO...

8. Markiz

Markiz Well-Known Member

The thing is that android gallery app shows not full images but makes smaller thumbnails of images (to run faster). If you want to be able to zoom "correctly" find another picture viewer.

9. Macz

Macz Member

Had the same prob.
    Get the free android app "Large Image Viewer"
    Works on the real jpg pics, not on the thumbs.

You can zoom in real close and the pics are still sharp.
    It has a pretty good thumbs viewer/overview.
    Works in horizontal & vertical position.

Large Image Viewer v06 Application for Android | Productivity

10. spasm

spasm Member

ive found this too, wots the point of having zoom if it dont work properly ?? bit annoying really. im not over impressed with the camera although it has a few nice features :). Q can u only zoom with the volume button ? or am i missing something

11. -Ollie-

12. hogofddyn_

hogofddyn_ Well-Known Member

It's a problem with the 'gallery' viewer as mentioned above. (it looks as if it's due to 3d hardware acceleration being used for the perspective effect on the thumbnails view to me - dunno if anyone can verify?)

It's worth noting that, if you start the camera app up and view the pictures in there, they're displayed correctly.

13. micstewart

micstewart Well-Known Member

thanks for the info guys, couldn't for the life of me work out what was wrong when zooming on the camera.