ZTE Avail 2 (Z992)

1. micallan_17

micallan_17 Well-Known Member

Seems AT&T is almost ready to release the new Avail 2 which according to the official ZTE website brings Android Jelly Bean 4.1, also it may seem that BestBuy is now selling the device online for $80 bucks off contract.

What do you guys think?

Advertisement
  2. out of ideas

out of ideas Well-Known Member

I think a 2mp camera these days is useless.

the only reason I ended up with the merit/avail in the first place was a 5mp camera at $80 was a steal.
  3. micallan_17

I agree, but am actually thinking of getting one once its available, i don't usually take pictures with my phone i have a Canon for that :)
  4. Motorhead1991

Motorhead1991 Well-Known Member

5. micallan_17

Actually it looks like the same thing, AIO wireless is an MVNO running on AT&T i think so the Prelude would be the AVail 2 version for AIO wireless in the US, wouldn't a Euro version have frequency like 900 instead of 850 too?
  6. zajchik

zajchik Well-Known Member

Do not understand what the purpose of this device in the era of quad-core dragon, and provided with a 2mp camera. Is JB only reason ... no thanks.
  7. micallan_17

The reason because it's low end -mid range device, not everyone can afford S4s or iPhones you know :)
  8. zajchik

zajchik Well-Known Member

Of course I do, otherwise I would not have even fought with my miracle of the lumber. There are much better phone for similar money, even used.
  9. micallan_17

that's why I said not everyone can do as you do :)
  10. out of ideas

I just find it weird they would take such a major step back from 5.0mp camera to a 2.0 camera with this.

I was ALMOST gonna buy one till I saw that. It probably could have been helpful in porting a higher OS to the original avail/merit too, but I have a feeling the camera would end up being an issue.
  11. micallan_17

yeah that's the only issue i for see that would be a little of a deal breaker, but could be a mistake, we will certainly know once it's made official by AT&T
  12. Motorhead1991

Motorhead1991 Well-Known Member

This is likely due to ZTEs cutting corners to keep the price low. Update the CPU HW, cut back in other areas...
  13. pm7771

pm7771 New Member

I got mine a day ago at the AT&T online price $41. WHAT A STEAL!

And I'm coming from an S3. Never broke a phone. Ever. But it fell out of my belt clip; in its Seideo case flat onto my hardwood floor. No glass impact as the case prevented that but from shock the glass shattered. Still usable but I got the Avail2 to carry me sending this out for repair ($99).

I'm amazed at this phone. All the features except 4G; and not as refined but what the heck $510 less? I have voice - texting - wifi - camera - apps - Pandora - Rhapsody - TuneIn - remotes for Roku - Sonos - NuVo

Replaceable battery and 32gb MicroSD slot. Nice fit & finish.

Its a little slower in use than the S3. I'm pretty tolerant considering the value.
  14. micallan_17

I was thinking this hasn't gone on sale yet? does it come with Android Jelly Bean? how is the camera?
    pm7771 likes this.
  15. pm7771

pm7771 New Member

Yep. 4.1.1 as for the camera it hasn't been important yet; but it seems ok. Probably on par with my 3GS iPhone. Maybe I can shoot a couple pictures and send to you.

Peter
  16. out of ideas

whats apps come with it
  17. micallan_17

that would be awesome, please do send them the to my email or if you can you can post them here
  18. micallan_17

I would suggest one of the mods or whoever is in charge to create a thread for the Avail 2 since it seems people are starting to get them
  19. out of ideas

thats 3 people now. someone else was looking for root by doing the jcase method but that wont work either.

i have a 2mp camera on my prevail, its ok i guess, but doesnt cut it anymore. Especially when nokia just dropped a 41mp camera, lol.

question. Does tha camera have autofocus?
  20. misternad

misternad Active Member

Yeah it autofocuses well enough. And I've had my avail2 well over a week, not sure exactly when it was 'released'.
  21. micallan_17

can you provide a link as to where you got it?
  22. misternad

misternad Active Member

No link as I literally walked into the local AT&T store and saw it sitting on the shelf for $79.99.. Also, it doesn't seem to be on AT&T's GoPhone portal.

Don't know what to tell ya. Currently fussing about trying to find a custom ROM I could flash or another rooting method, still haven't found any that work.
  23. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! VIP Member

I'll pass it up the chain, see what can be done.

Thanks! :)
    misternad and micallan_17 like this.
  24. micallan_17

Am glad it has come to you guys attention, any help to get root and other things for this device would be awesome :)

Cheers
  25. pm7771

pm7771 New Member

OK, a week out & I'm finding some faults that aren't big; considering the cost.

(1) The wifi range is low (2) the camera is only fair. It'll capture a shot; but not quite in the league with my old 3GS (3) alert seems tied to all volumes together incl ring volume (4) for some reason in calendar I can't always add to an event; like the capacity is full (5) processor is slow! can be a short wait ...

I'll add that cell call quality is perhaps the best I've experienced.

$40.99 on AT&T online as a prepay phone Z992
    El Presidente likes this.