• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Avail] ZTE Avail 2 (Z992)

OK, a week out & I'm finding some faults that aren't big; considering the cost.

(1) The wifi range is low (2) the camera is only fair. It'll capture a shot; but not quite in the league with my old 3GS (3) alert seems tied to all volumes together incl ring volume (4) for some reason in calendar I can't always add to an event; like the capacity is full (5) processor is slow! can be a short wait ...

I'll add that cell call quality is perhaps the best I've experienced.

$40.99 on AT&T online as a prepay phone Z992

The wifi works fine < 75 feet for me, the camera snaps 16x12 pics (which is bigger than you're ever going to view on a modern display, shy of a dell 30inch, anyway (edit: I'm basing this on a standard 1920x1080 display in which the image will have to be scaled down to fit vertically)), the volume thing is annoying though.

As for the calendar, I haven't bothered with it.. The CPU is actually fast if you compare it to other similarly-priced phones. ;)

It is marketed as an entry-level android, and for the price, I don't really think you can beat it.

My only major complaints thusfar are:

Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
Reactions: El Presidente
Upvote 0
I am thinking of buying a Z992 for a cheap voip phone. I am cash poor and need to find a cheap way to talk. If I buy this phone, will it run google voice over wifi, with the go phone minutes as a backup when wifi is not available? I noticed they dont sell it with the 10c/minute plan (would that be to prevent this type of nearly free configuration?) I have another old go phone with 10c per minute plan, can I take that sim and put it in this phone?

thanks in advance for you help

Greg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones