ZTE Merit/Avail faulty proximity sensor? GPS dies?Support

Last Updated:

1. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member Contributor

the phone is scratch free (which is amazing it has held up to the job of a mechanic!) and has never been dropped. but lately when i make or receive calls, the screen instantly goes black after it is picked up either way, and refuses to come on, or blinks on like a flash and instantly stays off. today i had to pull the battery to end a robocall that came up and i accidentally answered. the screen would outright refuse to turn on. the battery pull fixed the dead screen but this issue remains. not sure if it's software or hardware related.

Also, the GPS feature tends to eventually time out if left on and unused after a period of time, and the OS refuses to revive it. if i load an app that uses GPS such as Google Maps after this timeout, the GPS icon shows and instantly vanishes rather than show and blick indicating it is attempting to find a fix on my position. resetting it or using airplane mode to reset the wireless/GPS and/or using power control to disable and re-enable GPS seems to do nothing, and a reboot is the only way to revive GPS, and only until it inevitably times out again. is there an app on the Play Store that keeps GPS alive or disables this timeout? i found nothing in my power saver app or in the settings on the phone that disables or puts GPS to sleep, but no way to enable it all the time, either.

2. Russ71

Russ71 Well-Known Member

To check and calibrate the prox sensor, dial *983*0#. It will bring up a list of hardware tests. Prox sensor test with calibration is in the list, GPS may be also.
    The sensor for screen brightness is fragile to welding arc light too. Noticed you're a mechanic, that's how my first got dark permanently.
    redfield88 and nickdalzell like this.
  3. nickdalzell

yeah screen sensor is dead for a while now. sometimes the brightness turns all the way down for no reason, the price for an entry-level phone i suppose. although the prox. problem has been since out of box and seems to get worse. i'll try that code. btw is there a code to force GPRS over 3G? i live in a fringe 3G area and often lose data services (all white vs. green icons up top and no internet in apps)

EDIT: the option for Proximity Sensor says No. FAIL!

BTW i found the radio settings in there and got Edge over 3G. pretty decent. thanks!
    Russ71 likes this.
  4. Russ71

Russ71 Well-Known Member

To test that sensor, you have to put your hand on and off the top of the screen during the test. Didn't know if you knew that.
    nickdalzell likes this.
  5. nickdalzell

My problem is only when I put my face my phone. If I use speakerphone it always works fine
  6. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

I assume it does that so you don't push buttons with your face. The power button will end a call.
  7. Russ71

Russ71 Well-Known Member

Nick, did you by chance delete "com.zte.emode"? The phone uses it in calibration of the proximity sensor and who knows what else. It may be why your briteness and blackouts are happening?
  8. hi5five

hi5five Well-Known Member

that will be my guess also if the phone was rooted you needed to enable emode. After the root it would need to be turned back off disable.
  9. nickdalzell

Phone wasn't rooted. The power button would lock the screen but call kept going (could hear the audio) and i just ended up pulling the battery. I just rooted and flashed a ROM so we will see if it returns.
  10. marmae0410

marmae0410 Member

i have a hybrid case that causes the prox sensor to be triggered my husband even cut away the part over the sensor...would this code help fix that?
  11. nickdalzell

On any rom, this issue continued, it will turn the screen off if your face or any object covers the sensor as it should, but it will go into a loop where the screen blinks on and off, then when a call is ended the screen stays off and I have to pull the battery to get it back. I just use speakerphone now especially with automated systems where I must have the dialpad accessible. I wish I could just disable the darned thing