1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

General ZTE merit network

1. whyde1981

whyde1981 Member

Hi I have a ZTE merit that said network unknown so I called straight talk and they did something to it which put it on the edge network which still will only pick up outside on the porch rail. Worse if I moved from the porch rail all signal is lost and does not come back Grrr . Just wondering what network your merit says under about phone, phone status. Thanks

Advertisement
  2. stayboogy

stayboogy Well-Known Member

i'm on 'edge' at my home, but 3g in the cities around me. edge is still the network just without the speed of data with 3g

and it's not the phone company's fault really. you should've checked the coverage map before you bought it or checked your zip code on the website to see if it would work in your area. it's not nationwide for their android phones...
  3. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

E, 3g, & G. I wonder if the G is the LTE upgrade.
  4. stayboogy

stayboogy Well-Known Member

i have no idea.

'g' stands for 'generation' in 2g 3g and 4g (not speed like everyone thinks it does)

edge is equal to sprint's roaming--still have service, but it's not as good because it's relaying off another company's equipment. i dealt with them for years and it's exactly the same
  5. whyde1981

whyde1981 Member

Thanks and I did check straight talk has also checked and said I should have great service....
  6. nickdalzell

nickdalzell Well-Known Member

G is the generic label for GPRS Packet Data, basically dial up. Slower than Edge and 3G. First gen data back during the old days of the Nokia 3590
  7. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

It is rare that I get it but my phone still scoots on it as long as there is a couple of bars. better then edge. seems the same as 3g to me.
  8. kingmt

kingmt Well-Known Member

It may be your APN settings. Go where you have Wi-Fi & use the tweaker App.