• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE U960 ROM Discussion

so i've done some testing with the latest catty's rom... it crashes sometimes during heavy usage... phone just crashes and only way to get it back is to remove the battery... can somebody confirm this? (I have to ask because there might be a missmatch in my data partition)

Have same problem but not with catty rom... Have such problem on b207... usuallu it works ok, but when some game or something get high cpu times phone just reboots...

Upvote 0
from real winxp 32 machine...
that is really a big problem for me

set your imei through qpst.
qpst says "online connection failure"

I'm really pissed with this f* phone.
Now I can't even access recovery menu, and if I try to reinstall using Catty's reco.bat it says "device not found", even with the phone listed in windows.

Upvote 0
qpst says "online connection failure"

Have you configured the correct com port in qpst ?

I'm following The Solutor how-to (http://androidforums.com/4380734-post370.html) but I'm stuck on zte upgrade, it reaches 12% and says some error with chinese (?) unreadable chars.
I'm using winxp 32b VM under seven64.
I installed the drivers from zte directory and also seven drivers.

The USB device changes several times during the flashing progress, if you don't reconnect quickly the usb device from the VM menu, the process can't go trough.

If you are uncomfortable with a VM install a real XP on a partition or on a separate disk

Upvote 0
Have you configured the correct com port in qpst ?
yes, QPST 2.7 Build 323 shows
port --- state --- Phone --- link
COM3 --- Enabled --- (DEADD00D) --- USB
The same error under seven and XP.

don't reconnect quickly the usb device from the VM menu, the process can't go trough.
If you are uncomfortable with a VM install a real XP on a partition or on a separate disk
I noticed that.
Now I'm trying to install a portable XP into a pendrive.

I also found one msg from yours saying that older ROM can change the imei via *983*4634#, but I can't even start recovery mode to flash an old ROM... :-|

Upvote 0
Thank you The Solutor, nothingman76 and abynk for your help with the IMEI but one more question: Are you sure that the B08 keeps the IMEI in mind?

This is the version I used to solve the problem and worked flawlessly

I would make a lot of backup because of the B08

Just backup your actual ROM with the recovery menu, install the b08, set the imei, and then restore the backup.

I hope You still trust the Italians, after the last evening. :p

Upvote 0
Now I'm trying to install a portable XP into a pendrive.

Good Idea

I also found one msg from yours saying that older ROM can change the imei via *983*4634#, but I can't even start recovery mode to flash an old ROM... :-|

If the recovery was partly flashed or not flashed at all, it's possible that you can't enter in recovery mode.

Btw this happened to other people too, and in the past messages you can find how they solved the problem

Upvote 0
If the recovery was partly flashed or not flashed at all, it's possible that you can't enter in recovery mode.

Btw this happened to other people too, and in the past messages you can find how they solved the problem
"adb reboot recovery" saved me, I've entered recovery mode and I was able to flash "ZTE-U960_2B07-20120611 - catty" with play store working, the main cause for all my trouble in last 48h.

Imei on *#06# is still 0. But who cares???? :-D

Upvote 0
morning gets...

anybody knows how to get back from 2B07 to 2B06? OneClickUpdater just says anything in a small popup when I connect the phone and no chance to start progress...

-> got it! Install OCU (one click updater) 2B06, copy files of /version folder, deinstall, install 2B07 OCU and copy files from 2B06 into /version folder... done. Keep in mind to replace the RF.ZTE!

@The Solutor: yes - we still trust you ;) Good game by your team... this time mostly without diving and playing on time as the years bevore... Congartulations from germany... From my point of view Mr- L

Upvote 0
Playing around with the new toy, rooted it, new baseband, put Catty's latest rom on it (what an improvement!), some of my earlier questions remain. I have read trough this and other threads to find the answer, but did not understand, or could not find the answer. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1) Even in Catty's Rom, there are apps I do not care for. These take up room I would rather free. If all I want is to remove these aps, is it hard to make a new rom?
2) is there an advantage in including aps in a rom over installing them yourself? In my htc desire, I have google market. But the mandatory update is google play. It seems to me that it now uses space twice: in the rom, and in the update. Same goes for maps, youtube. Am I making sense? Also, in Catty's rom there is a browser I would like to replace.
- is there a list of all the things that can be deleted from a rom, build without risking stability?
- would it be hard to correct the spelling mistakes in rom (slient)?

Once again, thanks for any answers/explanations you can give me.

Upvote 0
my latest catty62 rom running very well.no problem.
i have questions
1.can i change my imei with my own volition.or bond to use imei provided by the zte.
2.where i find my gsm operator's configuration messages who send configuration messages
again and again.
3.can i change my kernel DepositFiles to DepositFiles
4.how i personalize contact ringtones.

i m still unanswered.

Upvote 0
1. why change IMEI to own #?
2. why not setting it up manually? Some basebands (as you already know) do have problems with these kind of messages
3. What kernels are behind that link? Without knowing I do not see a problem to change to another kernel.
4. open contacts, open contact, open menu, goto options, set ringtone (otherwhise: RTFM)

regards

Reactions: hellomnp
Upvote 0
Playing around with the new toy, rooted it, new baseband, put Catty's latest rom on it (what an improvement!), some of my earlier questions remain. I have read trough this and other threads to find the answer, but did not understand, or could not find the answer. Your help is greatly appreciated.

1) Even in Catty's Rom, there are apps I do not care for. These take up room I would rather free. If all I want is to remove these aps, is it hard to make a new rom?
2) is there an advantage in including aps in a rom over installing them yourself? In my htc desire, I have google market. But the mandatory update is google play. It seems to me that it now uses space twice: in the rom, and in the update. Same goes for maps, youtube. Am I making sense? Also, in Catty's rom there is a browser I would like to replace.
- is there a list of all the things that can be deleted from a rom, build without risking stability?
- would it be hard to correct the spelling mistakes in rom (slient)?

Once again, thanks for any answers/explanations you can give me.

Just use Titanium Backup to uninstall the unneeded system apps, but be careful, and make a nandroid backup before you go on a deleting rampage among system apps. :D
And do not worry about the updated apps, the original versions are in the system/apps folder, so they do not take away any precious space from the data partition.

Upvote 0
1. why change IMEI to own #?
2. why not setting it up manually? Some basebands (as you already know) do have problems with these kind of messages
3. What kernels are behind that link? Without knowing I do not see a problem to change to another kernel.
4. open contacts, open contact, open menu, goto options, set ringtone (otherwhise: RTFM)

regards
sorry netmare i want to personalize sms ringtones.any suggestion?

Upvote 0
Just backup your actual ROM with the recovery menu, install the b08, set the imei, and then restore the backup.
Thank you very much, The Solutor! I will try this the next time.
I hope You still trust the Italians, after the last evening. :p
Congratulations to Italy! Balotelli shot Italy to the final round but I think Spain will be a more difficult rival (look at the preliminary round, there was a 1:1)! ;)
@The Solutor: yes - we still trust you ;) Good game by your team... this time mostly without diving and playing on time as the years bevore... Congartulations from germany... From my point of view Mr- L

Upvote 0
Congratulations to Italy! Balotelli shot Italy to the final round but I think Spain will be a more difficult rival (look at the preliminary round, there was a 1:1)! ;)

I'm sure too, it will be an hard match.

BTW we are here just because Spain was fair in the first round, so whatever team will be champion, will have kudos from my side.

I just hope in a great show, as the last match was.;)

Upvote 0
Install dolphin browser or some browser from market and set as default

Nothingman76 has published a patched version of the stock browser earlier in this thread.

And btw Opera and Operamini are way a better choice than dolphin and the stock browser itself.

The search button, I believe, become defaulted to google after the installation of the google search component.

Upvote 0
ZTE-U960_2B07-20120611 - catty"

Imei on *#06# is still 0. But who cares???? :-D
This ROM has the ability to change IMEI
Settings-> Applications -> Development -> Set IMEI

Nothingman76 has published a patched version of the stock browser earlier in this thread.

And btw Opera and Operamini are way a better choice than dolphin and the stock browser itself.

The search button, I believe, become defaulted to google after the installation of the google search component.
That is not working, still baidu search.
Using OPERA for everything is not viable, because it's heavier than stock browser.
Maybe there's a way to put google in Settings -> Search -> ... (there is baidu)

Hi
Anybody has a problem with GPS? Currently I'm using Catty's ROM 'ZTE-U960_2B07-20120611 - catty.zip'. The phone could not find any satellite. anyone can help?
Same here. Tooking a long time "waiting GPS signal" in foursquare, but not in Google Maps. You can try this http://androidforums.com/4457719-post551.html , but it did not worked for me.
Other help is GPS AIDS https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.canaryx.gpsaids

-=-=-

But the most annoying thing with this ROM (maybe this ZTE960) is some silliness when disconnecting from wifi (because you leave the place where it covers) and going to 3G. Most of times you have to turn off and on the data connection in order to it work again.

I only bought ZTE960 because I was tired to carry 2 cell phones, one for my voice operator (TIM), which has the worst data connection, and another only for 3G data (vivo). But now I'm considering return to my Atrix and another cell phone :-|

Upvote 0
That is not working, still baidu search.
Using OPERA for everything is not viable, because it's heavier than stock browser.
Maybe there's a way to put google in Settings -> Search -> ... (there is baidu)

did you try to do a clear data under settings->applications->manage applications->all->browser ?
after flashing back stock 2b07 I ve installed the browser with my customization and now I have Google as default search engine. but on this phone opera mobile works a lot better then the stock browser...

Upvote 0
My phone has developed a new problem. I have been working in another country and using my home simcard (roaming) in Slot 1 and a local simcard in Slot 2. This worked fine and now that I have returned home I have put the data 3G simcard I normally use back in Slot 2. This worked perfectly before but now cannot establish a data connection although signal is good.

When I enter Settings>Mobile networks>SIM2 Access Point Names I get to a page showings APNs in the grey bar at the top and nothing else. This previously allowed choices for APNs, passwords etc but now the page is blank.

I have been using Catty's latest ROM with no difficulties until now. I reverted to the last Etotalk ROM but the problem is still the same. I don't know if this is an Android problem, phone problem or me (most likely). Can anybody advise me on how to get the APN page back as I think this could solve the issue?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones