• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZTE U960 ROM Discussion

I bought my phone from etotalk.com about 6 months ago. I contacted them trying to send back the phone to fix because it is in warranty period (1 year). After 3 weeks of e-mail exchanges they told me that the phone screen has only 3 months warranty and that I have to pay 100 $ to fix it and of course the shipping. They gave me an address that is in an apartment and a phone number that it is phantom number.
On etotalk.com webpage you can find this
How Long is the warranty?

Warranty is one year. If you have problem with the phone within one year, you can ship it back for warranty fix.

Note: Software fix and phone's original fix are free. The warranty does not cover physical damage, but we can still repair it with service charge.

For battery and headset and sd cards, the warranty is 3 months.
As you can see there say nothing about 3 months for phone screen. I also sent them photos of my phone to see that the screen is OK and that was never hit or broken . They admit that the phone is OK but....
So they lie.
DON'T BUY FROM Smartphone Dual SIM,Smartphone Wifi GPS,Android Dual SIM Smart Phones!

Upvote 0
Maybe because it's sold only in china and only for one operator ?

Well China is the world's largest cell-phone market, and China Mobile is the world's largest carrier with the most subscribers, 700 million.

There's probably a very limited market for dual-SIM phones in places like the United States. Where phones are normally supplied by the carriers, subsidised and are SIM-locked to a particular carrier. Not much point in having a SIM-locked dual-SIM phone, it kind of defeats the object. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I bought my phone from etotalk.com about 6 months ago. I contacted them trying to send back the phone to fix because it is in warranty period (1 year).
I am sorry to read of your difficulty.

Still, I am puzzled over a few points ...

How did the phone get in this state with a black screen ? Were you trying to update the PROM ? Were you trying to root it, with it not having been prevously been rooted ?

I chatted with some European suppliers of phones, and they made it clear to me that if I tried to replace the PROM or tried to root the phone and failed they would provide me no support. None. They advised such activities were implicity not included in the warranty. They went further and advised me I would void the warranty by such action on my part.

I can't tell if the European policy (of those suppliers) is the same as Etotalk, but my guess is there could be a simularity. ie if one tries to change the PROM themselves, or if one tries to root the phone themselves, then one can possibly void the waranty.

I wish you best of luck in trying to get the phone functioning again.

Upvote 0
I am sorry to read of your difficulty.

Still, I am puzzled over a few points ...

How did the phone get in this state with a black screen ? Were you trying to update the PROM ? Were you trying to root it, with it not having been prevously been rooted ?

I chatted with some European suppliers of phones, and they made it clear to me that if I tried to replace the PROM or tried to root the phone and failed they would provide me no support. None. They advised such activities were implicity not included in the warranty. They went further and advised me I would void the warranty by such action on my part.

I can't tell if the European policy (of those suppliers) is the same as Etotalk, but my guess is there could be a simularity. ie if one tries to change the PROM themselves, or if one tries to root the phone themselves, then one can possibly void the waranty.

I wish you best of luck in trying to get the phone functioning again.

Until the problem occur I installed only the latest ROm U960_MOD_v16c provided by etotalk. In one afternoon (when I used several times the phone in the morning) I was received a call but looking at my phone I could not see anything because the screen was blak. I answer the call "in blind" without seeing what happens on the screen. After I finished the call I try to get my phone to life so I remove my battery and I succeeded but only for a few minutes but after 10 minutes the screen get black.
It is very interesting that when I open the phone I can hear the regular opening noise...

Upvote 0
Until the problem occur I installed only the latest ROm U960_MOD_v16c provided by etotalk. In one afternoon (when I used several times the phone in the morning) I was received a call but looking at my phone I could not see anything because the screen was blak. I answer the call "in blind" without seeing what happens on the screen. After I finished the call I try to get my phone to life so I remove my battery and I succeeded but only for a few minutes but after 10 minutes the screen get black.
This could be a hardware problem.

Still, I'm wondering if in the process of trying to 'fix it' you mistakenly 'bricked' it ?

With my ZOPO smartphone, the 1st time I received a call, the screen went black. I could answer the call in the 'blind' without seeing what happened on the screen. But the screen was black and the phone in essence useless. Sound familiar ?

After I finished the call, I tried to get the phone to life. So I removed the battery and continued. Another call and the screen went black again. The phone was then once again in essence useless. Sound familiar ?

I surfed the web and learned it was a calibration monitor problem.

So this time, I removed the battery, restarted again, and IMMEDIATELY upon getting a screen (BEFORE it went black again) I calibrated the monitor per the previous link: zopo zp500 - setting for proximity sensor calibration-- screen off when making calls I acted as fast as I could before screen went black again.

I have had no problem since.

What I did NOT do was try to hack in to the phone via computer nor try to reburn the PROM, ... as that risks bricking the phone and voiding the warranty.

... anyway ... this is all well above my next to zero knowledge on the subject. I wish you the best of luck in trying to sort this.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

anybody have a problem with 100% processor load?
I have many times this. Installing the Android System Info Application I can see that the process:
android.process.acore appeared on the tasks, sometimes 3, 4 times, with high memory usage (30 Mega) with 0 CPU usage, and off course several times with 100% CPU usage. IF I kill the process the process load got back to normal.

Can be a launcher incompatibility?
I am using the GO Task Manager
Or can be auto SYNC problem?

Thanks in advance,
Tamas

Upvote 0
I have the experienced a simaler problem occasionally.
If i make or take a phone call and whoever i ring hangs up before i remove the phone from my ear the screen won't wake again.
I have to pull the battery and power up the phone again.
I think it is something to do with the proximity sensor on the phone and by using the test code *983*367# from the dial pad i tested the proximity sensor. when there is nothing near the phone the sensor reads FAR as it should but when i place my finger over the sensor it alternates from NEAR to FAR.
The light sensor values are correct and do not alternate just the proximity values

In the play store there is an app to fix this as it seems to be a problem on other ZTE handsets also.
It is called Proximity sensor calibration by zte.
I've downloaded it and tried using using it but i get force close message so it doesnt work for me.
Has anyone else tried this app and has it worked for you?
If so what rom are you using. I'm using etotalks 1.6b rom since May and it is a very stable rom except for this one issue and i'm curious if its rom related or just a general ZTE glitch??

Upvote 0
I have done this already and still experience this problem. Has anyone had this problem where the phone will just go dead and will not wake up until battery is removed and re-inserted. Incoming calls will just go to the voicemail.

Same problem time to time.
Also others reported.
I have not found any solution/root cause.
Maybe check your processor load? (see my previous post)

Upvote 0
Lately I have been having a situation when my phone after laying down for a while will loose power and will only come back on after taking the battery out and putting it back in. I am using the latest update 2b08 form ZTE. Anybody has an idea what is going on here?

I also had this problem the first few times i flashed the phone, but after several trys my phone is rock solidt, everything works as expected, and running the fastest overclock from the solutor.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,

anybody have a problem with 100% processor load?
I have many times this. Installing the Android System Info Application I can see that the process:
android.process.acore appeared on the tasks, sometimes 3, 4 times, with high memory usage (30 Mega) with 0 CPU usage, and off course several times with 100% CPU usage. IF I kill the process the process load got back to normal.

Can be a launcher incompatibility?
I am using the GO Task Manager
Or can be auto SYNC problem?

Thanks in advance,
Tamas

This sounds like something you have installed on your own, i am unable to find this process on my phone.
You need to figure out what software creates this tread, and the uninstall it or get the software vendor to fix the issue.

Upvote 0
I also had this problem the first few times i flashed the phone, but after several trys my phone is rock solidt, everything works as expected, and running the fastest overclock from the solutor.

What do you mean by "after several trys"? I have the same problem of loosing power when the phone is just lying idle. To get it back and running I will have to take battery out and reinsert. Can you help me?

Upvote 0
Hello,
I have broken my zte's display. Does anybody know where can I buy a new display? There is not any at EtoTalk.
Thanks.

Mine is broken too. Is your digitizer broken or LCD? digitizer is the first layer (touch), and LCD is the second (images).

This is the LCD. The digitizer is here ZTE U960 digitizer but I can't buy because there is no carrier to my country when I'm finishing the order, even Brazil is listed. Their email support is crappy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones