• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

ZTE Zmax Pro Hype

Fuziionz05

Jul 15, 2015
So it is announced that the Zte Zmax pro will be coming to Metro Pcs every where August 1 or 2 for only $99.
http://m.gsmarena.com/zte_unveils_t...isplay_snapdragon_617_chipset_-news-19474.php

I have been away from the zmax fourms for awhile after i broke the bottom of the screen, but now i believe i may be back and will try to help with root. I believe that this phone should be a hot one due to the fact that the zmax comes wuth basically stock android and the inly other phone competing with it at metro is the stylo 2 plus.

It is highly unlikely that the zmax pro will be able to be rooted without an unlocked or unlockable bootloader and access to fastboot. As far as I know, there is only one way to root marshmallow. This method is to unlock the bootloader and use fastboot, Odin, or whatever flash tool the bootloader for your device uses to install a custom recovery, and then flash the latest SuperSU zip through that custom recovery.

ZTE does not have a very good track record when it comes to devices with unlocked bootloaders and access to fastboot. The zmax pro will most likely have a locked bootloader, or won't come with any way to access the bootloader. It also will probably have system write protection like the first zmax did except since the phone hasn't been released yet, the method hroark13 found for disabling the write protection probably will not work.

All in all, things don't look very promising for the zmax pro as far as root, twrp, and custom ROMs go. With that said, I would love it if zte proves me wrong and gives the zmax pro an unlocked bootloader and access to fastboot. If they do that then there is a chance it'll get some development. Only time will tell.

I have to say, it does seem to have some awesome specs for the $99 price tag it is said to have. A 6" 1080p display, 32gb internal storage plus a micro SD card slot, 2gb ram, an octacore processor(1.5ghz quad core and 1.0ghz quad core), 13mp main and 5mp front facing cameras, FM radio, and a 3,400mah battery make it tempting even without root access.

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.

Reactions: 5318008
Upvote 0
Anyone know what OS version it will come with? I'll definitely be getting one.

It will have Android 6.0.1 marshmallow. Of course, Android 7.0 Nougat will be released in september and I doubt the Zmax Pro will ever get updated to anything newer than 6.0. Still, for $99 they definitely give you your money's worth.

Upvote 0
it is a truly awesome phone. the only things I can say I don't like about it is that they disabled the ability to open UI tuner in Android 6.0.1 , they've also disable multi-window found in the developer settings by tapping the build number. other than those two small complaints this is an extremely good phone for the money. USBC is awesome and I keep finding more things I like about this handset.You are right about the system write protection, I have no idea what they changed but there is system write protection on this device and the old CMD command no longer functions. It also has " permission denied" to the command REBOOT through a ADB, terminal emulator. still working on it.

Upvote 0
So how do I get the free leather case? I did the registration thing on July 28th. Used the same email address that is associated with my metropcs account. Never got anything in the email. Placed my order for the Zmax pro today and did not get anything that mentions free leather case.

Well the promotion ends on August 15th so I'd say if you don't receive any communication from MetroPCS by then you should probably give them a call. They say all applications must be received by September 12th so you have a little bit of time. Of course if you want to find out what's going on sooner it won't hurt to call metro and ask.

Upvote 0
So how do I get the free leather case? I did the registration thing on July 28th. Used the same email address that is associated with my metropcs account. Never got anything in the email. Placed my order for the Zmax pro today and did not get anything that mentions free leather case.

When I bought my PRO on Aug 1 @ the Metro store, I advised the sales person that I had pre-registered. They could have cared less yet still tried to sell me their $25 plastic case. So I called their rebates and promotions number and was advised that ZTE is the one providing the free cases and that I should be receiving an email directly from ZTE with further instructions. So we wait and see...

Upvote 0
When I bought my PRO on Aug 1 @ the Metro store, I advised the sales person that I had pre-registered. They could have cared less yet still tried to sell me their $25 plastic case. So I called their rebates and promotions number and was advised that ZTE is the one providing the free cases and that I should be receiving an email directly from ZTE with further instructions. So we wait and see...
I just got the email earlier today. Here is the link to claim your free case. Make sure you use the same email address that you used when you preregistered.
https://www.zteusa.com/zmaxprocase?...7B167B5&espc=8DF3F748A0165A4E38B0E6B2683A254F

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones