1. In regards to recently combined carrier specific root forums, if your device forum was affected, please see this poll/thread!

Zumocast.wowGeneral

1. jag83

jag83 Active Member

I was bored today,started playing around with my bionic,and I had an idea of what zumocast was,but never took the time to set it up,so this afternoon I did and all can say is this app is amazing,I don't know what took me so long to do this.in all the bionic vs sgs2 threads,why wasnt this mentioned as a pro for bionic?

Advertisement
    DanDroide likes this.
  2. shmakdawg

shmakdawg New Member

I've been wondering what it is and how it works myself...can you fill us in?
  3. jag83

jag83 Active Member

Basically it puts everything from your computer onto your phone.files,music,pics,vids etc.really cool
  4. BucYouUp68

BucYouUp68 Well-Known Member

One of the reasons why I got this phone. It allows you to stream shared Doc, Pics, videos, etc from your home pc to your phone. Works flawless
    bryan.allen likes this.
  5. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I'm much more of a fan of the MotoPrint app.

I can receive an email on my phone, and even from my bed send it directly to my printer (built in network printer, attached directly to my network with no intermediary computer) without having to power on my behemoth.

As for app access, well, I use RDP and so I can come in from anywhere anyway, so....

but ZumoCast is a nice alternative for much simplified file sharing.
  6. thatguy188

thatguy188 Well-Known Member

I like using Dropbox ... have it on all my computers in the house & my phone. Check out my sig, it does the same, I like it more TBH.

Only downside I guess is that only up to 2GB is free, whereas with Zumocast you have your whole harddrive. I just like being able to access files I choose from any computer, or my phone.
  7. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Well-Known Member

Dropbox is nice because it is also hosting out in the field, whereas Zumocast requires you to keep your PC running. Granted my PC is on all day either torrenting/updating/hosting a file for me anyways so it really isn't that big of a deal to me to leave it running all day.

I have a Sugarsync account that does the same thing (non local hosting).

Granted it doesn't work AS well as Zumocast, it is not a 100% full fledged music player. Although it does give you a 5 gig account for free.
  8. x026092

x026092 Well-Known Member

I just tried ZumoCast recently & yes it has a lot of potential. I also like the MotoPrint app. Both make it easy to access my home network from my phone.
  9. bigbabys

bigbabys Well-Known Member

Zumocast is fantastic. DropBox is a file sharing service. ZumoCast is sharing and streaming. I use it daily to stream my gigantic collection of music. And occasionaly I'll download a file I need to my phone with it as well.
  10. almahix

almahix Well-Known Member

ZumoCast is ok, I guess. For 2 years I have been using a free program called HomePipe, now called TappIn, that does the same thing, but is a little more elegant and user friendly. I use it to copy files from my desktop to my phone, but it allows me to "copy" from the desktop pc and "paste" wherever I want on the phone. Just a more natural approach. You have the option of copying from the phone to the pc as well, but I configured the pc for read-only, for added security. The pc client works much the same as Zumo's, quietly in the background. Accordingly I have ZumoCast frozen on my phone.
  11. bigbabys

I briefly tried homepipe way back, but I never tried it for streaming. Can it do this?
  12. almahix

almahix Well-Known Member

The recent release of TappIn does provide for that, but I haven't tried it. For streaming music from my pc to the phone, I already use Subsonic and I am happy with it.
  13. welbinator

welbinator Well-Known Member

zumocast isn't a huge advantage over the SGII because there are several apps that do the same thing. Polkcast for instance.
  14. Vehtemas

I don't think anyone here was saying it was... He was just saying how awesome of a program it was...

Which it is an awesome program if you ask me.

I use it daily.
  15. dberthia

dberthia Well-Known Member

johnlgalt likes this.
  16. DanDroide

DanDroide Well-Known Member

I've been able to stream all the movies and songs I have. Of course I probably have them in the correct formats. I like it alot but i use the Motoprint more. Both are great!
  17. Bogie

Bogie Well-Known Member

Definitely my favorite app that came "preloaded". I use it daily as my computer is usually on at home anyways. Stream music, watch movies, makes work better. ;)
  18. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

I'm sure 'work' appreciates it too :p - Who doesn't want their employees doing personal things on company time? lol

Seriously, though, I did not realize that streaming was a component of Zumo - now I understand the hype a lot better. Still, though, I have Netflix, so...streaming is not all that for me.

I will try QLoud though just to say I tried it.
  19. bigbabys

Basically ZumoCast eliminates the need for DropBox, Any MP3/Video Player

I can set a documents folder than is accessible from anywhere. I can load it with .apk's and download them to my phone. I can stream my entire library of MP3's, or download them to my phone. Same goes for pictures and movies. It's honestly the best application on my phone right now and has drastically limited the amount of Netflix/Pandora I use.
  20. al23

al23 Well-Known Member

Zumocast is great, but I could not get motoprint to work with my Brother MFC 490CW printer.
  21. Vehtemas

Try installing the Motoprint host, maybe that will get it working?
  22. al23

al23 Well-Known Member

When my droid Bionic arrives, I'll try it. Thanks.
  23. welbinator

24. PT1911

PT1911 Member

This might be a stupid question but how do you access your phone files to transfer in Zumocast? I don't see them any where.
  25. welbinator

zumocast doesn't allow you to transfer files from your phone to your computer (why not I don't know)

polkast i believe allows you to transfer both ways.