• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root ZV5 Custom

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwknott

Android Expert
Mar 19, 2012
Just a little personal project I been messing with I thought I'd share. I took the odexed ZV5 rom and removed, added and updated a few things. This is a work in progress and I will be tweaking it as I figure things out. This is Odexed as I have been running it with ART. There's a lot removed so this may not be suitable for everyone.

Features:
- Odexed
- Debloated
- Updated Google Apps
- Google Now Launcher
- Android L Boot Animation
- More to Come...

Updated Apps:
- Google Play
- Google App
- Google Play Services
- Google Calendar
- Google Chrome
- Google Keyboard
- Google Messenger
- Google Now Launcher
- Gmail
- Youtube
- Voicemail

Removes Apps:
- Google Books
- Google Maps - I use Waze
- LG Shutdown Monitor
- ELTEST
- GnssAirTest
- GnssPossTest
- GnssTest
- Google Drive
- Google Hangouts
- LgAppCleanup
- Lg Keyboard and Themes
- Lg Launcher and Themes
- Lg Memo
- Lg Memo Widget
- Qremote
- Google Magazines
- Picassa Uploaded
- Google Play Music
- Google Play Games
- Google+
- Lumen Toolbar
- Swype
- Talk back
- UnifiedEula
- Google Play Movies
- Sprint Zone
- Lg Home Selector
- It's On
- Lg Application Manager
- Lg Backup
- Lg Browser
- Lg Email
- Lg Favorite Contact Widget
- Lg File Manager
- Lg Multi-Photo Wallpaper
- Lg Music Widget
- Lg QMemo
- Lg QVoice
- Lg Tasks
- Lg Update Center
- Lg Voice Command
- Lg Voice Recorder
- Mobile I'd
- Traditional Voicemail
- Connection Optimizer

Known Issues:

- Because of debloating there may be some none working entries in system menu, quick settings and qslide. I will be working to remove these none working entries.

Ex. Connection Optimizer, Home Screen, Home Selector.

Prerequisites:

- ZV5 Radio

Last edited:
Disclaimer:

- Use at your own risk. Everything works great for me but doesn't mean something can't go wrong. I will not be responsible for anything that goes wrong with your phone.

Backup your current ROM before flashing!!

Download

ZV5 Custom 03/01/2015

MD5: 2eb0d55221dbb350a0951c7ea83d683c

Instructions:

- Download and place on External SD

- Reboot to recovery

- BACKUP

- Do a full wipe* - except external sd

- Flash ROM

- Reboot

* I recommend a clean install due to updates, new apps and removed apps. May cause some force closes if dirty flashed.

** If data doesn't work after flashing, it can be refreshed by updating profile & prl or reactivating the device by dialing ##873283# in the dialer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can someone tell me how much free space your phone reads after freshly installing this ROM? After a full wipe and format, then flash of this ROM I still only have 1.2 gb free, with no additional apps installed. This happened before flashing this ROM, but I was hoping to resolve it and see if i noticed a difference in free space after formatting the internal sd and starting again. ART vs Dalvik hasnt made a difference but I dont have any apps installed except your debloated rom. I could swear it showed as having almost 3gb free when the phone came out of the box.

Upvote 0
Can someone tell me how much free space your phone reads after freshly installing this ROM? After a full wipe and format, then flash of this ROM I still only have 1.2 gb free, with no additional apps installed. This happened before flashing this ROM, but I was hoping to resolve it and see if i noticed a difference in free space after formatting the internal sd and starting again. ART vs Dalvik hasnt made a difference but I dont have any apps installed except your debloated rom. I could swear it showed as having almost 3gb free when the phone came out of the box.
It doesn't matter what ROM you install. You should have 3.93GB for internal storage, minus any uninstallable apps. Any ROM you install is installed to the system partition and has no impact on user storage space. You had said before that you had backups on the internal storage. Are you certain there is nothing in there?

Upvote 0
Yeah sounds like you have a backup on your internal storage. Use a file manager to go in and see if you see any backups in the ClockworkMod folder or twrp folder depending on which recovery are running. Other than that if you don't have anything you can't lose, I'd go into recovery and do a factory reset and make sure you wipe internal storage.

Upvote 0
I figured it out. both twrp and cwm folders were showing as empty. I knew I had made a backup to internal storage a while ago but thought I must have been mistaken as nothing was showing up in root browser, on the pc, or twrp. I had to reflash cwm, it found the phantom backup, and now I have the free space that I should.
I didnt realize formatting the internal storage in recovery wasnt deleting those backups.
Thanks,
and this rom is perfect for a stock - no errors, flashed fine in both recoveries, and nicely debloated.
----------
Factory resetting/wiping internal storage from recovery wasnt working, the only way to see the backed up data was through restoring and using the recovery version the backup was originally taken with. Figured id get it out there in case some of the other people having unresolved missing storage issues might have the same thing.
----------

Last edited:
Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
Flashed this yesterday and most seems to be good. I've had a couple issues with SMS not sending and a couple recieved coming several hours late.
But I just looked at my battery and damn! I'm sure it'll probably plummet any time but we'll see..

It is obviously stripped way to bare bones but that is what I like... I add when i need :D

Attachments

• 1423779599975.jpg
    1423779599975.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 145
Reactions: kwknott
Upvote 0
I feel like the icons and keyboard are all higher resolution than I had stock. The edges of everything looks smoother even with eyeballs close to the screen. Is it just my imagination. Or maybe I was using a theme with lower res icons before but everything looks sharp, and it feels much faster and smoother than before...of course that could be the fact that I haven't got Facebook and kik and messenger and every other mother installed yet.

Upvote 0
Google Now Launcher only starts with 1 home screen. As apps are installed they will populate additional screens or you can open the the app drawer, hold on an app and drag it to an additional screen. Google launcher doesn't actually have an option to specify number or home screens. They just get added as you need them.

Home Screen crashes because I removed the LG Home Launcher. I am working on removing the entry from settings.

Upvote 0
Unless Google launcher uses a nicer icon that stock LG. I haven't done anything that would increase the resolution of anything.
I'm still not entirely sure what it is, but I think its just newer icons I didnt see before because I was using custom icons for everything from a several year old theme. Then I used a solid black background, and I was just sort of stunned by how everything looks as clean and sharp as my gf's One M8
-----
I was and still use smart launcher (i hate the whole swipe homescreens paradigm) but I was sticking to an old combination of custom icons id made and an older pack of them I still had from my Premia.

Upvote 0
Should i flash the radio with this or just activate my phone through the dialer @kwknott?
You should flash the radio before you flash the rom. The ZV5 radio flashes just on zv4/5. Then flash the the rom.

As far as a dirty flash - I went from a slightly debloated(my own)ZV4 rooted and deodexed rom, Cleared cache(NOT FACTORY RESET) and ran the zip(for the odexed version!). It installed with 0 issues. I can't speak on any other dirty flash however.

Also OP without Quick Memo the screen shot function is gone I believe. I mean obviously for debloating thats cool but the size you save from that isn't worth losing that function when there are other apps you can remove. And the task manager was the quickest way to kill all your actual memory hogging tasks so personally I feel that one should stick around. There are a few others that can go too I believe I'd have to go check my list but so far this is the best rom available to the public honestly! ZV5 is better on battery without a doubt but I imagine it will either take some time to calibrate or have to be calibrated with an app.

Either way Thank you very much for doing what I was going to end up doing because I didnt want to debloat a rom all over again just for the update!

Im atleast 1 person who can say I successfully did a dirty flash and kept all my apps with no problems!

Reactions: kijp15 and Sands207
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones