Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Thunderbolt > Thunderbolt - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt (Stock),
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via MSN to AlexOnVinyl Send a message via Yahoo to AlexOnVinyl Send a message via Skype™ to AlexOnVinyl
Default Would anyone recommend apps to get rid of bloatware?

I found an app called https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ramdroid.appquarantineAppQuarantine and wasn't sure if it was a good application to get rid of bloatware, could anyone recommend apps and methods of debloatifying my newly rooted phone?

AlexOnVinyl is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 14th, 2012, 05:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt (Stock),
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via MSN to AlexOnVinyl Send a message via Yahoo to AlexOnVinyl Send a message via Skype™ to AlexOnVinyl
Default

Bump
AlexOnVinyl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
quickaudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 2,956
 
Device(s): VZW G'Note2 VZW SGS3 VZW Galaxy Nexus Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 100
Thanked 348 Times in 288 Posts
Send a message via AIM to quickaudi
Default

What bloat do you want to remove? Titanium Backup is good at it.
quickaudi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt (Stock),
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via MSN to AlexOnVinyl Send a message via Yahoo to AlexOnVinyl Send a message via Skype™ to AlexOnVinyl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickaudi View Post
What bloat do you want to remove? Titanium Backup is good at it.
Mostly all my Verizon crap
AlexOnVinyl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2012, 07:24 AM   #5 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,168
Thanked 6,772 Times in 4,260 Posts
Default

i personally use titanium backup,but there are several that prolly will work.

with titanium,you need to pro key,id strongly recomend to get it,its well worth the $7.

with tibu pro,you can freeze bloatware before deleting it. you can also do batch backup and restores of all your user apps,wich will come in really handy once you start flashing roms.

if you want to try a different app for bloat removal,just make sure it has an option to temporarily disable,or freeze,apps so you can run the phoen a couple days and make sure that things youve selected wont affect normal operation of the phone. after that,they can be permantly deleted.

also:
-make a nandroid of your stock setup with all the apps
-make periodic nandroids of your setup as you delete things. that way if something goes wrong,youll have one to restore that you wont have to start from scratch with the freezing/deleting
__________________
The Delivery Guy
If someone has helped you,please click the THANKS button on that post.
Please post questions so others can benefit from the answers.
donate to my device fund
scotty85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
AlexOnVinyl (August 15th, 2012)
Old August 15th, 2012, 04:59 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt (Stock),
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via MSN to AlexOnVinyl Send a message via Yahoo to AlexOnVinyl Send a message via Skype™ to AlexOnVinyl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty85 View Post
i personally use titanium backup,but there are several that prolly will work.

with titanium,you need to pro key,id strongly recomend to get it,its well worth the $7.

with tibu pro,you can freeze bloatware before deleting it. you can also do batch backup and restores of all your user apps,wich will come in really handy once you start flashing roms.

if you want to try a different app for bloat removal,just make sure it has an option to temporarily disable,or freeze,apps so you can run the phoen a couple days and make sure that things youve selected wont affect normal operation of the phone. after that,they can be permantly deleted.

also:
-make a nandroid of your stock setup with all the apps
-make periodic nandroids of your setup as you delete things. that way if something goes wrong,youll have one to restore that you wont have to start from scratch with the freezing/deleting
Yeah trtr's got me hooked on the 4ext - so I've got a backup of my stock image, the only problem here is that I don't have the money at the moment to fork over for a premium key for Titanium Backup. I do however have the app "App Quarantine" which sounds like it does similar, I'm assuming if I backup all the apps that I plan on freezing/removing with Titanium Backup then use App Quarantine for the time being to freeze the apps - I'd have a good combination.

My only worry is what apps are safe to freeze? I heard one of the Vzw apps will put me through brick.

Here's the apps I have in Quarantine so far:

Should I unquarantine these and back them up with Titanium? Then requarantine them?
AlexOnVinyl is offline  
Last edited by AlexOnVinyl; August 15th, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,168
Thanked 6,772 Times in 4,260 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOnVinyl View Post
Yeah trtr's got me hooked on the 4ext - so I've got a backup of my stock image, the only problem here is that I don't have the money at the moment to fork over for a premium key for Titanium Backup. I do however have the app "App Quarantine" which sounds like it does similar, I'm assuming if I backup all the apps that I plan on freezing/removing with Titanium Backup then use App Quarantine for the time being to freeze the apps - I'd have a good combination.

My only worry is what apps are safe to freeze? I heard one of the Vzw apps will put me through brick.

Here's the apps I have in Quarantine so far:

Should I unquarantine these and back them up with Titanium? Then requarantine them?
the main prollems with free titanium are this:
1)you cannot do batch backups/resrtores(need to do them one at a time )
2)you cannot freeze apps,only delete them

*please make sure that the only apps you backup with titanium,and attempt to restore to different roms are user apps. do not try and install system apps or data from one rom to another.

another option for backing up your user apps to restore to a new rom is mybackup. i have not personally used it,so i cant comment directly,only that it is a popular app,and most folks seem to somewhat prefer its UI over that of titanium backup.

there are prolly several apps in the market that will freeze bloatware,so just do some searching and try and fine one that will let you freeze before deleting that way you dont have to try and backup with one,then delete with the other. if app quarantine is letting you pull apps and make them nonfunctional prior to deleting them,then you can continue using it

remember your nandroid will have all those apps in it,so restoring it will bring them all back if you need to. no need to back them up with titanium.

as far as whats safe,pretty much anything in the app drawer... those pictured are defiantely safe. there is actually quite alot you can do without. there was a list on xda,if you search for it.

rest assured that while somethings may break function if you delete them,there is nothing you can delete that will "brick" you beyond repair
scotty85 is offline  
Last edited by scotty85; August 16th, 2012 at 06:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
AlexOnVinyl (August 16th, 2012)
Old August 16th, 2012, 07:52 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt (Stock),
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via MSN to AlexOnVinyl Send a message via Yahoo to AlexOnVinyl Send a message via Skype™ to AlexOnVinyl
Default

I actually backed up my system apps, is that bad?
AlexOnVinyl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2012, 08:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,168
Thanked 6,772 Times in 4,260 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOnVinyl View Post
I actually backed up my system apps, is that bad?
No,its not going to hurt that you backed them up. Just don't restore them when you're setting up a new rom.
scotty85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scotty85 For This Useful Post:
AlexOnVinyl (August 16th, 2012)
Old August 16th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 63
 
Device(s): HTC Thunderbolt (Stock),
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 17
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via MSN to AlexOnVinyl Send a message via Yahoo to AlexOnVinyl Send a message via Skype™ to AlexOnVinyl
Default

Thanks Scott. Also, what's the best custom, stable rom for TB in your opinion?
AlexOnVinyl is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 17th, 2012, 07:54 AM   #11 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
scotty85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,638
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7,168
Thanked 6,772 Times in 4,260 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexOnVinyl View Post
Thanks Scott. Also, what's the best custom, stable rom for TB in your opinion?
unfortunalty my TB hasnt been my daily phone for some time now,so im pretty out of touch with available roms.

i prefer AOSP(plain android wit no sense UI) so i always ran cm7 and roms based on it. "thundershed" is prolly one of the better cm7 roms.

you might post up differernt thread asking what folks like/are using so youll get some better responses.

also,just look thru the rom threads on xda or root z. read the discriptions,look at screenshots when available,and read the buglists to see if anything doesnt work. no harm in trying lots of roms till you find one you like. thats the beauty of nandroid backups... its easy to pick up where you left off with a different rom if you decide you dont like the one youre on

id also defiantely give the jellyblur rom a look see.
scotty85 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > HTC Thunderbolt > Thunderbolt - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.