Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Toshiba Excite 10

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

test: Reply

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 24th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S4 (white), Toshiba Excite 10, Galaxy Nexus (retired)
Carrier: VZW

Default Anyone have this?

Seems like a nice tablet. I think I'm going to get it after I return the Acer A200 that I just bought and wasn't happy with. I figured it would have a following here.

sponsored links
Old May 29th, 2012, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

So, I bought the tablet. I like it a lot. Very thin and light. Speakers are great. The light leak was a little annoying at first, then I completely forgot about it and stopped noticing it. I'm really surprised I'm the first to post in here. But maybe someone else will come along and join me.
Old June 6th, 2012, 06:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

is this the new AT300 (as it is known in the UK) model? i think it only comes out in the UK this week. priced approx. 330, bit too dear for me but would take it if it dropped another 50. looks quite impressive.
Old June 7th, 2012, 09:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

Device(s):

Well my husband gave this to me and I was so excited! But I'm trying to figure out how I can get on the internet and stream a movie and watch it. I work second shift so I have some downtime from time to time but, heck it might go back for a tablet that's 3/4G compatible. Can anyone tell me if there's a mobile device that will work with the tablet's OS?
Old June 16th, 2012, 05:07 PM   #5 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Yeah, that's the same. It's quite nice. More than I wanted to spend, but anything less couldn't do what I needed for work.

Sian, you just need to connect to a wifi network. It doesn't have built in mobile data. I use my phone (Galaxy Nexus) as a wifi hotspot occasionally. It works really well. I use the app Foxfire. Do you have an Android phone? If so, this should likely work for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheyCallMeBT For This Useful Post:
LeslieBlings (August 2nd, 2012)
Old June 25th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #6 (permalink)

Device(s): Toshiba Excite 10,Visture V3,Eken A90,Motorola Triumph

I've had the tablet for several days now, and while it has some Cons I'm satisfied with my choice.
I've been trying to find things about the tablet that justify its above average price tag thats causing such scare with critics so here goes.

1. Its the thinnest tablet of its generation.

2. It has a strong and quality build design, the competing tablets are plastic all around but the Excite 10 has an aluminum back with a textured feel for grip. The screen is made of unscratchable gorilla glass, and that alone is worth a few extra bucks. The other tablets use a plastic screen that need screen protectors.

3. It supports a Full sized SD Card and MicroSD card with adapter which supports up to 64GB. I don't think there are any competition yet.

4. One of determining factors for me was the fact that it has two stereo speakers. The Asus TF300 only has one which is a bummer.

5. And finally, maybe the ultimate reason is the stability. So far the Excite 10 is the most stable of its competitors, it seems unlikely to crash or freeze up. Perhaps this is why Toshiba did not include a reset hole on the tablet? The reviews that reported instability were mostly older pre release units before the recent firmware updates.

So you be the judge is worth and extra $50? I'm OK with it, I'd rather have the Gorilla Glass over the Plastic, Stereo Speakers, and the extra Stability.
Last edited by Leroy Bad; June 26th, 2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old June 26th, 2012, 03:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

Device(s):

i don't understand the low interest in this either. it's the cheapest quad core tablet out ther as well to add to your points.
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Thread Author (OP)

Good points, Leroy. It's great for photographers or video production. I use a DSLR for video production, and I can just pop the card in and review my footage on a 10" screen. The camera shoots in AVCHD, so I have to use a particular app, Dice Player. I tried this on a Tegra 2 tablet first, and no joy. It needs the speed of the Tegra 3. And it plays buttery smooth.

That fact that it's one of the thinnest tablets out there (iPad included) plus the full size SD card slot are the two things that hooked me.
Old July 3rd, 2012, 08:08 PM   #9 (permalink)

Device(s): droid incredible and droid 2

I have had mine for 6 days now I had the Acer Asus and love this tablet its so much faster smoother speakers are awesome , for the same price as all the rest and add in the screen protection you can't beat it. Just now really getting involved with it and loving it more and more everyday.
Old July 4th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Toshiba Excite 10 AT300, Hisense Sero 7 Pro [rooted], Ouya
Carrier: Verizon

Hey folks.
I'm new here and just ordered an Excite 10!

I look forward to reading your experiences with it and sharing my own.
sponsored links
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:03 AM   #11 (permalink)

Device(s):

I got mine about 3 weeks ago from Best Buy and love it! and after that $50 drop in price, it's worth it even more. I found a superb case on Amazon that fits like a glove: Amazon.com: MoKo(TM) Folding Cover Case with Stand for Toshiba Excite 10 AT305 10.1 inch Android Tablet, Black: Electronics

My only beef is the camera quality for Skype, but that might be an issue with Skype after their lastest update.

Anyone else had any issue with the latest firmware update? Mine doesn't take, it just reboot to the old firmware, not a biggie for me cuz I don't seem to be having the issues that the update claim to fix. I should mention that after the update it just boots to a Explanation Point in a yellow yield shape, then it reboots fine. I'm guessing the firmware file might be corrupt.
Old July 9th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Device(s): Toshiba Excite 10,Visture V3,Eken A90,Motorola Triumph

You need to be able to upgrade the firmware. The last est updated improved the Wifi, and got rid of the problem with download notifications not disappearing when they are complete.
You can't get tech support without the latest firmware either. Do you have the option of redownloading the update?
If I were you I'd go into recovery and restore the tablet and try again. I know you think its no big deal but your $400 tablet IS broken.
The Following User Says Thank You to Leroy Bad For This Useful Post:
stridermt2k (July 11th, 2012)
Old July 9th, 2012, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

Device(s):

I have had mine about a week now. It is by far the fastest and smoothest Android device I have used and it even feels physically well made. I was a little worried about black light bleed but mine only has a couple small spots. Certainly much better than my original Asus Transformer.
Old July 10th, 2012, 02:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Device(s):

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
You need to be able to upgrade the firmware. The last est updated improved the Wifi, and got rid of the problem with download notifications not disappearing when they are complete.
You can't get tech support without the latest firmware either. Do you have the option of redownloading the update?
If I were you I'd go into recovery and restore the tablet and try again. I know you think its no big deal but your $400 tablet IS broken.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know that my support depended on it. I decide to give it another go. I wasn't able to redown the update but I was able to apply the update succussfully this time. I'm not sure what I did different this time, I decide to give the Volume Up and Power button at the boot up, perhaps that helped. But good to go now!
Old July 11th, 2012, 12:23 PM   #15 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Toshiba Excite 10 AT300, Hisense Sero 7 Pro [rooted], Ouya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
Thanks for the heads up on the update!
I had my doubts about this tab, but it is starting to grow on me.
EDIT

Just got home, downloaded and applied the update! All good!
Last edited by stridermt2k; July 11th, 2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old July 14th, 2012, 05:26 PM   #16 (permalink)

Device(s): Rooted EVO 4G LTE ( MeanRom 4.6),Rooted Toshiba THRiVE (Dalepl's ICS)

Send a message via Skype™ to 3vodroid

Quote:
Originally Posted by stridermt2k View Post
Hey folks.
I'm new here and just ordered an Excite 10!

I look forward to reading your experiences with it and sharing my own.
Welcome to AF! Hope your loving your new excite.. I have the 10"thrive and I love it... Toshiba really did a nice job on their tablets.. Maybe I'll have an excite in the future!
Old July 15th, 2012, 05:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Thanks!

The performance on this piece is really eye opening compared to my Tegra 2 tablet.
I just started playing some Tegra 3 games, and it's hard to believe I'm playing stuff that looks this good on a tablet that is so thin and lightweight!

I've really become impressed with this thing!
Old September 19th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #18 (permalink)

Device(s):

Just bought one today, really digging it so far.

On a side note, I should come here more often when looking for stuff, I got more info out of this thread than I did out of the dude at Best Buy.
Old September 19th, 2012, 11:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Device(s): Rooted EVO 4G LTE ( MeanRom 4.6),Rooted Toshiba THRiVE (Dalepl's ICS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oskirules View Post
Just bought one today, really digging it so far.

On a side note, I should come here more often when looking for stuff, I got more info out of this thread than I did out of the dude at Best Buy.
Congrats on your new excite! I'm thinking about picking one up myself but for now my Rooted Toshiba thrive kicks some butt. Feel free to ask away if you have questions!
Old September 22nd, 2012, 05:09 PM   #20 (permalink)

Device(s): Droid 3, HTC EVO, HTC HERO, Moto Cliq XT, Toshiba Excite 10, Nexus 4
Carrier: TMO

Congrats I use ma tablet everyday just to find out new things, just figured out how to take a screenshot lol
The Following User Says Thank You to onpointG35 For This Useful Post:
3vodroid (September 27th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:20 PM   #21 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (VZ), Toshiba Excite 10.1, LG G Pad 8.3

Default Picked Mine Up on Monday...

from Best Buy. On sale last week in the Bay Area for $319. I waited too long before pulling the trigger when it was available in Costco for $299.

Had to return the first one as I noticed screen flickers once in a while. Also, while reading Pulse then selecting a tile the first unit's screen would really get bright - even if brightness was set to manual. The backlight bleed was all over the edge of the screen. I also noted that the first unit did not have the tab fully enclosed/sealed in clear plastic. Only the screen had a plastic sheet on it. So I returned it yesterday for another one. So far so good...I'm really loving this tab. Pretty light and fast compared to my previous tabs.

I just wished there's a bigger selection for accessories...
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:00 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangjr View Post
from Best Buy. On sale last week in the Bay Area for $319. I waited too long before pulling the trigger when it was available in Costco for $299.

Had to return the first one as I noticed screen flickers once in a while. Also, while reading Pulse then selecting a tile the first unit's screen would really get bright - even if brightness was set to manual. The backlight bleed was all over the edge of the screen. I also noted that the first unit did not have the tab fully enclosed/sealed in clear plastic. Only the screen had a plastic sheet on it. So I returned it yesterday for another one. So far so good...I'm really loving this tab. Pretty light and fast compared to my previous tabs.

I just wished there's a bigger selection for accessories...
You were able to get it at Costco for 299? If so that's great news. They were supposed to run that price through the holidays but have been out of stock for a while. Did you purchase in store?
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:36 PM   #23 (permalink)

Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3 (VZ), Toshiba Excite 10.1, LG G Pad 8.3

Nope was not able to get the 299 @ Costco hence ended up getting it from Best Buy. Fyi, no more Excites (16Gb/32 Gb) available from Costco last I checked - also was made available ONLINE only - not in stores.
Old September 27th, 2012, 04:51 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangjr View Post
Nope was not able to get the 299 @ Costco hence ended up getting it from Best Buy. Fyi, no more Excites (16Gb/32 Gb) available from Costco last I checked - also was made available ONLINE only - not in stores.
Ok yeah that's what I figured. I knew it was online only but I was curious

Maybe they will get some more in stock because when I read the ad it was suppose to run until Christmas. I love my thrive but for 299 I wouldn't mind trying out the Excite. The only reason I don't pull the trigger on one now is the locked bootloader, and I wish they kept the full size ports/removable battery. But the look of the Excite is just plain sexy so that makes up for it.

It's a shame that the excite didn't take off like toshiba hoped it would. Because it's one of the best if not the best piece of tablet hardware you can buy right now. Just something about toshiba tablets I guess. The thrive was and still Is the only tablet to have the features I listed, and more! And it also didn't take off as well as it should.

Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > Toshiba Excite 10