Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T > Transformer Infinity TF700T - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree11Likes

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old October 24th, 2012, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
SteveWHamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Samsung Galaxy Note II (T-Mobile)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via MSN to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Yahoo to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Skype™ to SteveWHamilton
Default Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

When I bought this tablet about a month ago I'm pretty sure it had ICS on it. but i did some firmware updates and now my version is at 4.1.1, which i'm assuming is Jellybean.

But anyways, i want to root it and ran into a bit of trouble. I found a guide that claims the root procedure for ASUS's Prime tablet also works for the TF700T/Infinity. So i downloaded the drivers and installed them, as well as the DebugfsRoot_Generic_v2.3 files.I also made sure to run the included batch (.bat) file as Administrator. it went thru the usual yadayada as i followed the instructions, and then i hit these errors:

Waiting for device to be detected...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
Found system partition at: /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
Step 1 - Pushing files...
failed to copy 'debugfs' to '/data/local//debugfs': Permission denied
failed to copy 'su' to '/data/local//su': Permission denied
failed to copy 'debugfsinput' to '/data/local//debugfsinput': Permission denied
failed on '/data/local/tmp' - Permission denied
link failed File exists
Rebooting...
Once your devices has finished restarting,
Press any key to continue . . .

As you can see, the files failed to copy and permissions were denied, even though i followed the instructions to the letter. i have done nothing else to this tablet except install some non-root apps from Google Play, and the firmware updates.

After doing all this i did a bit of research and found that this doesnt work for rooting Jellybean.

So my question is, is there something i can do to make the above method work? if not, then how about a method for obtaining root after Jellybean is installed? or perhaps a guide to rolling back to ICS so i can then root using the above guide, and then update to JB while still retaining root? i'm not open to unlocking the bootloader, since that voids the warranty (which i dont really care much about, but still.....) and, more importantly, prevents me from applying OTA firmware/system updates. I dont plan on installing any custom ROMs, dualbooting alongside Windows 8, etc, so i see no need to unlock the bootloader, since it's normally/rarely necessary to obtain root on a device. I have bricked some phones in the past so i'll need something that's nearly foolproof, while still being able to run the latest Adroid JB version.

I also tried restoring my tablet to the factory defaults via the menu functions, but i'm still at 4.1.1.

Well, if anyone can help then please reply soon. Thanks!

EDIT: also forgot to mention that i tried to use Win 8 Pro RTM x64 to do the root procedure. i really dont think that would have caused it to fail, but it's entirely possible. when i initially plugged my tablet into the laptop it appeared in Windows Explorer but Device Manager showed my tablet as having driver issues (exclamation mark [!] beside the driver's name). So i manually installed the drivers as it was listed in the root guide.
esparks004 and knesbey like this.

SteveWHamilton is offline  
Last edited by SteveWHamilton; October 24th, 2012 at 06:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SteveWHamilton For This Useful Post:
esparks004 (January 31st, 2013), psilocybe38 (February 5th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old October 24th, 2012, 06:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,554
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,988 Times in 8,949 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

ok i have not checked lately but i think JB has not been rootable yet. when you are thinking about rooting any device stick to this rule and you should never have any issues: NEVER DO ACCEPT ANY OTA'S(OVER THE AIR UPDATES). this applies to any device whether it be a tablet or phone. with each new ota, it will most likely close any exploits used to gain root. so now you will have to wait and see what the devs come up with to get the tablet rooted. also with each new update it will get harder and harder to root your device.

as far as factory reset goes, this only wipes data. it does not wipe any previous updates. once you accept an ota there is not turning back.
__________________
“The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.”.......Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe
“I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be.”.......Douglas Adams
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2012, 07:22 PM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
SteveWHamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Samsung Galaxy Note II (T-Mobile)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via MSN to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Yahoo to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Skype™ to SteveWHamilton
Default Solved

Thanks for the reply, but i've been working on this for the past couple of hrs and my issue is solved. i'm currently back at 4.1.1 Jellybean again and Root Checker has verified that root is in place. the su binary is also present and all apps that need root work properly (Busybox, Titanium Backup, etc). i've also rebooted and rechecked several times to be sure, it say rooted every time now, whereas it didnt before. I managed to do all of this without unlocking the bootloader as well, even though what i've read elsewhere says it is necessary to do so.

I would have agreed with you before on your point that OTA updates are irreversible, and they usually are, but my experience today shows otherwise. however, you are right that each OTA will probably make it harder to reroot or stay rooted. you're also right that factory reset only wipes data but not firmware, which i just recently figured out today before you posted. i used the "about tablet" section in settings both before and after my steps below to verify that i had indeed downgraded/upgraded firmware/Android versions from JB to ICS and vice versa.

here are the steps i took, in sequential order, so that maybe anyone else with my issue can benefit. i cant gaurantee it will work for everyone:

1. downgraded from 4.1.1 JB firmware to "Eee Pad Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Firmware: V9.4.5.30 Only for US SKU (Android 4.0.3)". This will roll you back from Jellybean to Ice Cream Sandwich. go to support.asus.com, enter TF700T as the model number, and scroll down until you find this, then download it and unzip the zip file to the root of your sdcard (there is a zip file within the downloaded zip, place that at the root, not the downloaded file itself). if you are using a TF700T that is not US-based then download the appropriate file for your region, just make sure that it has .30 in the file name. I read on a forum somewhere that this is the only firmware update for this device that enables downgrading from higher version to 4.0.3, although it's possible that others may work. then power off your device and do a cold boot (hold down left volume and then followed by power button, do this for about 10 seconds. when you get to the desktop/start screen you will see "Safe Mode" in lower left corner, then your device will notify that an update is available. tell it to apply and let it reboot. when it powers back on you should be back at 4.0.3

2. Do a factory reset, this can be done either before or after the step above, but i did it after. i'm not sure if this is necessary , but just to be on the safe side. back-up all important info, apps, etc beforehand

3. I used the method at Simple Guide to Root TF700T Asus Transformer Pad Infinity : Tips For Tab . this guide can also be found at other websites, but the steps are the same and the files/utilities needed are the same as well. just follow the steps. this will not work if you are still at 4.1.1, you will get the error i detailed in my last post.

4. Download Root Checker (to verify root access) and make sure you have the latest Superuser installed from Play (SuperSU may also work but i'm not sure, i'm using the paid version of Superuser Elite). and also get Voodoo OTA RootKeeper (free), this has a function that will allow you to restore root access after upgrading to 4.1.1. Superuser Elite also has a "ota survival" function that does essentially the same, both worked for me (this software isnt free). and get Busybox and a terminal emulator like Better Terminal Emulator or Android Terminal Emulator. i'm not even sure if these last 2/3 are absolutely necessary, but they install essential must-have functions that all root users should have.

5. then use RootKeeper and make a backup of the su binary, or place a checkmark beside the "ota survival" function in Superuser Elite. either will backup the su info so that it can be restored.

6. Next, do a direct OTA upgrade to 4.1.1 JB , either by using the built-in firmware update function, or by manually downloading from the website and updating using the method listed above. Do NOT do a restore to factory backup state after this point (especially after), it will most likely wipe out the backups of su made by RootKeeper/Superuser Elite.

7. after the upgrade is finished you will be back at start screen at at 4.1.1, use Root Checker and it will say you're not rooted. Then use either of the 2 programs ive outlined to restore the su binary from the backup. in SU(E) just uncheck and recheck the OTA Survival box, or in RootKeeper just restore from backup. Then go back to Root Checker after doing either of these, it should say rooted. reboot and recheck to make sure.

8. That's it! just wash, rinse and repeat when the next firmware update is available, hopefully these same steps should work

Also make sure to keep a backup of the su binaries/app from here onwards, otherwise at some point in the future you may lose the ability to simply restore from backup after each OTA Firmware update. you will have to start over from the beginning.

I'm sure someone figured this out already, but i figured i would post anyways.
ocnbrze and esparks004 like this.
SteveWHamilton is offline  
Last edited by SteveWHamilton; October 24th, 2012 at 07:42 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to SteveWHamilton For This Useful Post:
esparks004 (January 31st, 2013), Hacklevel (February 7th, 2013), Klown80 (March 3rd, 2013), novox77 (October 25th, 2012), ocnbrze (October 24th, 2012), shred1 (January 1st, 2013)
Old October 24th, 2012, 11:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
SteveWHamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Samsung Galaxy Note II (T-Mobile)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via MSN to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Yahoo to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Skype™ to SteveWHamilton
Default

ocnbrze, i just now noticed your thanks, glad to see someone other than me benefitted.
SteveWHamilton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 10:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
 
novox77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,968
 
Device(s): Evo 4G, 3D, LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,190
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default

My understanding is that ASUS is root-friendly; that means that they give us an open and free method to unlock their bootloader. Once you unlock it, they won't intentionally lock it back up via an OTA.

Historically, people (with various ROOTED Android devices) run into issues with OTAs that upgrade the bootloader, and the manufacturer, having NOT blessed tampering with bootloader security, automatically sets the lock back in place as part of the OTA. At best, it means you lose root; at worst, your phone/tablet is left in a weird state that is not recoverable (brick). Because that worst case possibility exists, those of us that have helped lots of people with such issues generally issue a blanket statement that you should never accept an OTA while rooted, or if you plan to root. It's simply not necessary to take OTAs if you have root or plan to root, so why risk a potentially big headache?

Fortunately for us Infinity users, once you unlock the bootloader, you always have a way to get root, or get root back. The current known root exploits are for pre-JellyBean. It's good to know that you can simply downgrade to get root.
johnlgalt likes this.
__________________

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it. -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Help me out: Sign up with Dropbox and we both get 500MB extra space. Thanks!
novox77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to novox77 For This Useful Post:
psilocybe38 (February 5th, 2013)
Old October 27th, 2012, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
SteveWHamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Samsung Galaxy Note II (T-Mobile)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via MSN to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Yahoo to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Skype™ to SteveWHamilton
Default

novoxx77: did you even bother to read my (2nd) post? and you're right, ASUS is root/unlock-friendly, in that they do give us a method for unlocking the bootloader. however, that method is permanent, and so far as i can tell, ther eis no way, official, ununofficial, or otherwise, to revert back to a locked state. also, please note that one does *NOT* need to unlock the bootloader to obtain root. if you had read my post you would see my statement that my bootloader is still locked. rooting and unlocking are independent of each other. and while it's probably wise not to accept an OTA while rooted, those of us that choose to do so usually face, at worst, loss of root, which can be easily reobtained in most cases. in the case of a brick, that's a different scenario, and a device can be bricked regardless of being rooted/not rooted or locked/unlocked. i choose to accept OTA updates because i believe that doing so may provide additional functionality, features, enhancements, etc. although one day i will try a custom ROM, in that case then accepting OTAs will be completely unnecessary.

Quote: "The current known root exploits are for pre-JellyBean. It's good to know that you can simply downgrade to get root."

There actually is a known exploit for gaining root after upgrading to JB, however, it involves unlocking the bootloader. i found a method to do so without unlocking, it simply involves downgrading, rerooting, upgrading, and then rerooting again.
SteveWHamilton is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SteveWHamilton For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (October 30th, 2012)
Old October 30th, 2012, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
 
ocnbrze's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: los angeles
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,554
 
Device(s): Galaxy Note 3, HTC Evo 4g LTE(no longer have), HTC 3vo(no longer have), HTC EVO (not activated)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 28,912
Thanked 13,988 Times in 8,949 Posts
ocnbrze@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWHamilton View Post
ocnbrze, i just now noticed your thanks, glad to see someone other than me benefitted.
yes your post definitely deserves a "thanx" and a "like". i will be using your suggestion this weekend to root my tablet.
ocnbrze is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2012, 03:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
 
novox77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,968
 
Device(s): Evo 4G, 3D, LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,190
Thanked 3,268 Times in 1,410 Posts
Default

I did read your post, and my response was more for the community than you specifically. My intent was to justify why ocnbrze stated never to accept OTAs if you're thinking of rooting or already rooted. Clearly never say never applies here, as it does with select Android devices, but as a general rule of thumb, it's good advice.

I'll point out as well that even though unlocking the bootloader is not necessary for root (I myself obtained root before deciding to unlock the bootloader), having an unlocked bootloader makes preserving or restoring root access super simple, simply because you have access to the custom recovery. Simply flash any ROM with the su binary already packaged. Contrast that with your downgrade procedure... But I understand the warranty implications of unlocking the bootloader, which is why you went to the lengths that you did.

One just needs to weigh the benefits of an unlocked bootloader with the drawbacks. Personally, I've never ever needed warranty support for any soft/firmware issues. The only time I'd need warranty has been hardware issues, and for those, an unlocked bootloader is inconsequential (verified with ASUS). I take full responsibility for the damage of my device on a firmware level now that I've unlocked the bootloader.
novox77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to novox77 For This Useful Post:
ocnbrze (November 3rd, 2012), psilocybe38 (February 5th, 2013)
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:27 PM   #9 (permalink)
Antidisestablishmentarian
 
johnlgalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 3rd Rock
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,396
 
Device(s): Motorola® DROID® BIONIC®
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 2,168
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,362 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to johnlgalt Send a message via MSN to johnlgalt Send a message via Yahoo to johnlgalt Send a message via Skype™ to johnlgalt johnlgalt@gmail.com
Default

I somehow missed all these posts, but I went through the same ordeal and did it basically the same way. Downgraded. Rooted. OTA Rootkeeper (and Elite, just to be sure). Upgraded. Restored root from backup. Worked like a champ.

When the 10.4.4.18 hit, I panicked for a half second - them remembered that I still had my backup. Sure enough, I just restored the backup and was rooted again.

I now see 10.4.4.20 out three - I'm taking the plunge, and hopefully all should go well.

Note: If you want to be safe, when you make your backup, then later restore it, [I]do not delete the backup/I] - this will allow you to restore it again in case another update breaks root.

Note: When you go to make a backup of root, first be sure to update the su binary via the Superuser app. That way you won' get random notifications that your su binary is out of date later on.

HTH
__________________

Files for the Motorola® DROID® BIONIC®:
Motorola USB drivers v5.9.0 | Motorola RSD Lite v5.7
My DropBox Referral link
johnlgalt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 04:58 AM   #10 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I tried to find the TF700T Firmeware V9.4.5.30 only for WW. This Version is not on support.asus.com. All the download links i found in google doesn't work. Wher can I download this, od does anybody has a this version to share?
paschi is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Antidisestablishmentarian
 
johnlgalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 3rd Rock
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,396
 
Device(s): Motorola® DROID® BIONIC®
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 2,168
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,362 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to johnlgalt Send a message via MSN to johnlgalt Send a message via Yahoo to johnlgalt Send a message via Skype™ to johnlgalt johnlgalt@gmail.com
Default

They deleted them.

My guess is that since it is a full install, they deleted all the old ones. I only have hte US versions.

Let me pull up the XDA thread with all of them in there....
johnlgalt is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:29 PM   #12 (permalink)
Antidisestablishmentarian
 
johnlgalt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: 3rd Rock
Gender: Male
Posts: 9,396
 
Device(s): Motorola® DROID® BIONIC®
Carrier: VZW

Thanks: 2,168
Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,362 Posts
Send a message via ICQ to johnlgalt Send a message via MSN to johnlgalt Send a message via Yahoo to johnlgalt Send a message via Skype™ to johnlgalt johnlgalt@gmail.com
Default

Here you go: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=33037501&postcount=1
esparks004 likes this.
johnlgalt is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to johnlgalt For This Useful Post:
esparks004 (January 31st, 2013)
Old December 17th, 2012, 10:28 AM   #13 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Exclamation point and no safe mode?

When you downgraded, did your recovery screen go to an android lying down with a red exclamation point? Every time I attempt to flash, it does this. Then the device eventually reboots and I am not given the option to "upgrade" to the older version.

(I was able to do this successfully before, but I lost root because I had not backed up OTA Rootkeeper properly so I was redoing it. So now I cannot get it to work.)

Any ideas?

--- Edited
I want to retract my question. But I can see how it would be confusing so I will just add this for the next guy... When you reboot, your tablet goes into safe mode automatically after ten seconds. No need to press any buttons!
terrypearson is offline  
Last edited by terrypearson; December 17th, 2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: Misunderstood post
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:20 AM   #14 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default OTA Not Permament

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnbrze View Post
...
as far as factory reset goes, this only wipes data. it does not wipe any previous updates. once you accept an ota there is not turning back.
You can definitly roll back an OTA update. I rolled back my TF700t when the 4.1 update broke root back when it first was pushed. I'm back on 4.0.3 to this day.

Anyone know if Root Keeper will preserve root on a TF700t going from 4.0.3 to 4.2 ? I really need the bug fixes of 4.2.

Thanks.
trancend is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2013, 09:25 AM   #15 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trancend View Post
You can definitly roll back an OTA update. I rolled back my TF700t when the 4.1 update broke root back when it first was pushed. I'm back on 4.0.3 to this day.

Anyone know if Root Keeper will preserve root on a TF700t going from 4.0.3 to 4.2 ? I really need the bug fixes of 4.2.

Thanks.
I've used rootkeeper successfully through all the otas so far.
__________________
Site Rules/Guidelines / Meet the Team
If something needs attention, Report it .
If someone helped you, hit to show it.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old January 17th, 2013, 08:10 AM   #16 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exclamation I have the same issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypearson View Post
When you downgraded, did your recovery screen go to an android lying down with a red exclamation point? Every time I attempt to flash, it does this. Then the device eventually reboots and I am not given the option to "upgrade" to the older version.

(I was able to do this successfully before, but I lost root because I had not backed up OTA Rootkeeper properly so I was redoing it. So now I cannot get it to work.)

Any ideas?

--- Edited
I want to retract my question. But I can see how it would be confusing so I will just add this for the next guy... When you reboot, your tablet goes into safe mode automatically after ten seconds. No need to press any buttons!

Terry, I am having the same problem you initially had when trying to downgrade to ICS. I get the android symbol with him lying on his back with the exclamation point. So basically what your saying with your "edit" to your comment is to just sit at that screen for a little while without pressing anything and it should proceed with the option to downgrade? Can you elaborate more on how you got past the screen with the "dead-looking" android? It'd be greatly appreciated! I gave up the other night when I got to this screen lol.
SticksUWP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 05:14 PM   #17 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWHamilton View Post
When I bought this tablet about a month ago I'm pretty sure it had ICS on it. but i did some firmware updates and now my version is at 4.1.1, which i'm assuming is Jellybean.

But anyways, i want to root it and ran into a bit of trouble. I found a guide that claims the root procedure for ASUS's Prime tablet also works for the TF700T/Infinity. So i downloaded the drivers and installed them, as well as the DebugfsRoot_Generic_v2.3 files.I also made sure to run the included batch (.bat) file as Administrator. it went thru the usual yadayada as i followed the instructions, and then i hit these errors:

Waiting for device to be detected...
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
Found system partition at: /dev/block/mmcblk0p1
Step 1 - Pushing files...
failed to copy 'debugfs' to '/data/local//debugfs': Permission denied
failed to copy 'su' to '/data/local//su': Permission denied
failed to copy 'debugfsinput' to '/data/local//debugfsinput': Permission denied
failed on '/data/local/tmp' - Permission denied
link failed File exists
Rebooting...
Once your devices has finished restarting,
Press any key to continue . . .

As you can see, the files failed to copy and permissions were denied, even though i followed the instructions to the letter. i have done nothing else to this tablet except install some non-root apps from Google Play, and the firmware updates.

After doing all this i did a bit of research and found that this doesnt work for rooting Jellybean.

So my question is, is there something i can do to make the above method work? if not, then how about a method for obtaining root after Jellybean is installed? or perhaps a guide to rolling back to ICS so i can then root using the above guide, and then update to JB while still retaining root? i'm not open to unlocking the bootloader, since that voids the warranty (which i dont really care much about, but still.....) and, more importantly, prevents me from applying OTA firmware/system updates. I dont plan on installing any custom ROMs, dualbooting alongside Windows 8, etc, so i see no need to unlock the bootloader, since it's normally/rarely necessary to obtain root on a device. I have bricked some phones in the past so i'll need something that's nearly foolproof, while still being able to run the latest Adroid JB version.

I also tried restoring my tablet to the factory defaults via the menu functions, but i'm still at 4.1.1.

Well, if anyone can help then please reply soon. Thanks!

EDIT: also forgot to mention that i tried to use Win 8 Pro RTM x64 to do the root procedure. i really dont think that would have caused it to fail, but it's entirely possible. when i initially plugged my tablet into the laptop it appeared in Windows Explorer but Device Manager showed my tablet as having driver issues (exclamation mark [!] beside the driver's name). So i manually installed the drivers as it was listed in the root guide.
I'm have the same exact problem as explained by SticksUWP. I've been trying to root my tf700t with JB for some time now and I'm getting extremely frustrated.
knesbey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2013, 06:27 PM   #18 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'd also like to ask if anyone out there have or knows where I can get my hands on the 4.0.3 firmware image, it is no longer available on the asus site. As per all the preceding conversation... I kinda need this file but cannot find it anywhere...HELP PLEASE!
knesbey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Attached to my Phone
Posts: 101
 
Device(s): ZTE Warp
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 68
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by knesbey View Post
I'd also like to ask if anyone out there have or knows where I can get my hands on the 4.0.3 firmware image, it is no longer available on the asus site. As per all the preceding conversation... I kinda need this file but cannot find it anywhere...HELP PLEASE!
Im not trying to bash you, but you must always read, search, read and read some more. The answer to your question was in post 12 of this thread.

Here you go: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=33037501&postcount=1

Scroll towards the bottom under the section that says Old Firmwares.
esparks004 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2013, 02:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SticksUWP View Post
Terry, I am having the same problem you initially had when trying to downgrade to ICS. I get the android symbol with him lying on his back with the exclamation point. So basically what your saying with your "edit" to your comment is to just sit at that screen for a little while without pressing anything and it should proceed with the option to downgrade? Can you elaborate more on how you got past the screen with the "dead-looking" android? It'd be greatly appreciated! I gave up the other night when I got to this screen lol.
Sorry about taking so long to reply, we had the random screen crack issue that plagues the Transformer series (Sidenote: Be careful with your keyboard dock, if your screen is not installed perfect, the keyboard can put stress on the glass and crack it when it heats up) and our device went in for a warranty repair...

If you got to the "dead" Android, you went to far. Try letting go of the keys sooner. If you are holding them when it gets to the first screen, let go right away, or it will redirect you to the "dead android" screen.
terrypearson is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to terrypearson For This Useful Post:
colchiro (June 16th, 2013)
sponsored links
Old March 23rd, 2013, 05:14 AM   #21 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Has anyone managed to figure out how to get to JB yet? I downgraded back to ICS a while back and rooted but whenever I try to upgrade to JB manually I always seem to lose root access? I was quite happy on ICS but have noticed my tab getting quite sluggish and constantly freezing on most apps, so would like to upgrade to JB. Also when I try and update via the tab it says no update available when clearly there is JB to update too. Any help in getting to JB rooted would be much appreciated.
gilbery007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:19 AM   #22 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

Is your bootloader unlocked? If so that's why you can't get the OTA. Also, installing the factory image will always unroot you. So if you want rooted jellybean then you have to take it as an ota.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
Is your bootloader unlocked? If so that's why you can't get the OTA. Also, installing the factory image will always unroot you. So if you want rooted jellybean then you have to take it as an ota.
No it's not unlocked due to voiding the warranty, haven't had it that long so don't want to void it.

I am trying to upgrade manually to JB from the http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1734005 thread and the JB manual upgrade download. When installing this manual update though I lose root everytime. I have tried the same method 4 times now and gave up when I didn't have any luck.

I have been resetting to factory which puts me on ICS, I then root which I am able to do just soon as I try and update to JB manually I lose all root access even when trying restore the root.
gilbery007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:33 AM   #24 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

Yeah, updating in general will destroy root on any device. However, apps like voodoo ota rootkeeper can protect root but only if the update is applied in recovery. Using fastboot to apply the update manually will not allow the app to protect root. What needs to be done is use the downgrade method to root and then get the OTA to your device. You said the option to update says there is no update?
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:39 AM   #25 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
Yeah, updating in general will destroy root on any device. However, apps like voodoo ota rootkeeper can protect root but only if the update is applied in recovery. Using fastboot to apply the update manually will not allow the app to protect root. What needs to be done is use the downgrade method to root and then get the OTA to your device. You said the option to update says there is no update?
Exactly what I have done, Voodoo OTA rootkeeper shows all boxes as checked which is what I want but if i go into Settings, About Tablet and hit System firmware update, then hit Check Update it says "There is no update for your device currently"? And yes i'm connected to my Wifi. Everytime I try this whole process which after the second time gets quite tedious I always end up here stuck on ICS.
gilbery007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 06:55 AM   #26 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbery007 View Post
Exactly what I have done, Voodoo OTA rootkeeper shows all boxes as checked which is what I want but if i go into Settings, About Tablet and hit System firmware update, then hit Check Update it says "There is no update for your device currently"? And yes i'm connected to my Wifi. Everytime I try this whole process which after the second time gets quite tedious I always end up here stuck on ICS.
Alright, I'm looking for an extracted .25 ota zip file for you to flash in recovery. Do you have a ww or us version of the Infinity?

Edit: Out of curiosity and a stupid question , when using ota rootkeeper, did you just assume it would be rooted still or did you attempt to restore root and it failed?
jhawkkw is online now  
Last edited by jhawkkw; March 23rd, 2013 at 07:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 07:30 AM   #27 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
Alright, I'm looking for an extracted .25 ota zip file for you to flash in recovery. Do you have a ww or us version of the Infinity?

Edit: Out of curiosity and a stupid question , when using ota rootkeeper, did you just assume it would be rooted still or did you attempt to restore root and it failed?
I have a US version, well that is the version of firmware i'm using. I actually live in the UK.

If i remember right it failed although it was about 2 months ago I rooted. I also remember having trouble initially understanding Voodoo OTA and SuperUser.
gilbery007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:05 AM   #28 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbery007 View Post
I have a US version, well that is the version of firmware i'm using. I actually live in the UK.

If i remember right it failed although it was about 2 months ago I rooted. I also remember having trouble initially understanding Voodoo OTA and SuperUser.
The idea behind those apps is that they know that the ota will delete root when it installs. So to fix this, they hide a backup of it in an area that the ota doesn't affect. That way once the ota is installed, you can use the restore root option in them and it copies the su binary back into the appropriate place. If you don't choose to restore root, then you will remain unrooted until you do.

As for being US in the UK, that could be an issue. Have you had difficulty getting ota's there in the past?
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
The idea behind those apps is that they know that the ota will delete root when it installs. So to fix this, they hide a backup of it in an area that the ota doesn't affect. That way once the ota is installed, you can use the restore root option in them and it copies the su binary back into the appropriate place. If you don't choose to restore root, then you will remain unrooted until you do.

As for being US in the UK, that could be an issue. Have you had difficulty getting ota's there in the past?
When I bought my tablet it had ICS on it, I immediately ran updates like anyone else would to get it fully updated so getting updates especially OTA shouldn't be a problem.

Does voodoo save the subinary to my tablets internal memory? Or should I point it to store the subinary on my inserted microsd so I can pull it back when updating to JB and do you suggest I try and update to JB again?
gilbery007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:29 AM   #30 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbery007 View Post
When I bought my tablet it had ICS on it, I immediately ran updates like anyone else would to get it fully updated so getting updates especially OTA shouldn't be a problem.

Does voodoo save the subinary to my tablets internal memory? Or should I point it to store the subinary on my inserted microsd so I can pull it back when updating to JB and do you suggest I try and update to JB again?
It normally save it to internal memory out of harms way to an actual ota. But if a full image is installed, that formats everything including where the copy was saved. It might be advantageous to save to external memory, but I've never tried to restore from external so I don't know how reliable it is.

Also, are these the instructions your were following to update manually? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=28374043
jhawkkw is online now  
Last edited by jhawkkw; March 23rd, 2013 at 08:31 AM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:31 AM   #31 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
It normally save it to internal memory out of harms way to an actual ota. But if a full image is installed, that formats everything including where the copy was saved. It might be advantageous to save to external memory, but I've never tried to restore from external so I don't know how reliable it is.
I wonder if I could simply save the subinary from the internal memory to my pc, manually update to JB put voodoo back on then re insert the subinary file in hope that voodoo detects it and enables me to recover the root this way???
gilbery007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:39 AM   #32 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbery007 View Post
I wonder if I could simply save the subinary from the internal memory to my pc, manually update to JB put voodoo back on then re insert the subinary file in hope that voodoo detects it and enables me to recover the root this way???
I'm not sure, but I doubt it. Though it stores a copy of it, it does so in an area only reached by having root. So if you don't have it, it wouldn't be able to copied back to that location.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 08:44 AM   #33 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
I'm not sure, but I doubt it. Though it stores a copy of it, it does so in an area only reached by having root. So if you don't have it, it wouldn't be able to copied back to that location.
I'm at a loss here i think. I enjoy playing the games with the PS3 sixaxis controller app but that requires me to have root access. When I ran through the guide at this part

"I read on a forum somewhere that this is the only firmware update for this device that enables downgrading from higher version to 4.0.3, although it's possible that others may work. then power off your device and do a cold boot (hold down left volume and then followed by power button, do this for about 10 seconds. when you get to the desktop/start screen you will see "Safe Mode" in lower left corner, then your device will notify that an update is available. tell it to apply and let it reboot. when it powers back on you should be back at 4.0.3"

When I did a cold boot I did not see safe mode in lower left corner? How important is this? I just ignored it as I had got root on ICS...
gilbery007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:21 AM   #34 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Do I have to temp unroot in voodoo before updating to JB??? The restore root after via voodoo?

If so this is where I have been going wrong?
gilbery007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:24 AM   #35 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbery007 View Post
Do I have to temp unroot in voodoo before updating to JB??? The restore root after via voodoo?

If so this is where I have been going wrong?
You shouldn't need to unroot, but you do need to back it up/protect it and then restore after updating.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:28 AM   #36 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
You shouldn't need to unroot, but you do need to back it up/protect it and then restore after updating.
Ok I have basically just updated manually like before to JB and lost my root. In voodoo it showed no option to restore and the backup found checkbox was not ticked as if there was no backup? I'm gonna run through the process to get me back to ICS again now. I have also just factory reset to start fresh...
gilbery007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:29 AM   #37 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbery007 View Post
Ok I have basically just updated manually like before to JB and lost my root. In voodoo it showed no option to restore and the backup found checkbox was not ticked as if there was no backup? I'm gonna run through the process to get me back to ICS again now. I have also just factory reset to start fresh...
What is the procedure you're using to update? Is it using recovery or fastboot?
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 09:39 AM   #38 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
What is the procedure you're using to update? Is it using recovery or fastboot?
This is the guide I am using

Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

I am now at official JB according to the guide I now downgrade using the manual version of ICS via my PC
gilbery007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 10:19 AM   #39 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

Try using the method that I linked a couple posts up after you finish rooting ICS. Maybe that will work?
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:27 AM   #40 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 12
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Ok I am now rooted on JB by luck really!

This time after the downgrade to ICS it actually came up immediately telling me there was an update which was the Jellybean update. I made sure my root was backed up in OTA rootkeeper, updated to JB and then restored root quite easily!

I'm wondering if maybe the updating server was down perhaps the last time I tried rooting my device?

Anyhow thanks for all your help jhawkkw, only hope that my tab stays as responsive as it currently is. Better get back to installing my apps now
gilbery007 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gilbery007 For This Useful Post:
jhawkkw (March 23rd, 2013)
sponsored links
Old March 23rd, 2013, 11:39 AM   #41 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default Re: Trouble Rooting ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T (4.1.1 Jellybean)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilbery007 View Post
Ok I am now rooted on JB by luck really!

This time after the downgrade to ICS it actually came up immediately telling me there was an update which was the Jellybean update. I made sure my root was backed up in OTA rootkeeper, updated to JB and then restored root quite easily!

I'm wondering if maybe the updating server was down perhaps the last time I tried rooting my device?

Anyhow thanks for all your help jhawkkw, only hope that my tab stays as responsive as it currently is. Better get back to installing my apps now
Congrats. Sometimes the update servers are finicky. I remember that the .25 update came out on December 28th, but my device wouldn't download it until January 15th. So it doesn't surprise me. Keep that root backed up for when the next ota comes out.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 09:29 AM   #42 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
colchiro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 8,852
 
Device(s): HP TouchPad, Samsung Galaxy Note II, Dell Venue 11 Pro
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 833
Thanked 1,810 Times in 1,403 Posts
Default

It's good to see some guides and mods in here. (I'm a former guide.)

I'm picking up a TF700T with dock in 8 hours that I found on Craigslist.


I thought it was a good deal for $370.

I hope to unlock the BL, root it and play with it a few hours tonight before I have to go to work for a few hours at 10.
jhawkkw likes this.
colchiro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2013, 11:03 PM   #43 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
SteveWHamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Samsung Galaxy Note II (T-Mobile)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via MSN to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Yahoo to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Skype™ to SteveWHamilton
Default

It's a bit late to be reporting back now (I'm the guy who started this thread), but I just figured I'd say that I recently resolved the issue I outlined in the first post. I was able to upgrade to the latest official firmware while still keeping root.

Fast-forward to now: I've unlocked my bootloader and installed CleanROM Inheritance, which is specifically designed for the TF700T. It's the best thing I could have ever done for this tablet. I highly recommend both.
SteveWHamilton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 04:18 AM   #44 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Podivin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 3,544
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy S4, Rooted Asus TF700, Stock HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 529
Thanked 824 Times in 546 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchiro View Post
It's good to see some guides and mods in here. (I'm a former guide.)

I'm picking up a TF700T with dock in 8 hours that I found on Craigslist.


I thought it was a good deal for $370.

I hope to unlock the BL, root it and play with it a few hours tonight before I have to go to work for a few hours at 10.
Hey Colchiro, good to see your smiling face again.
I figured you'd picked up one of these when you started hanging out in the forum.
For what it's worth, CROMI-X is my favorite ROM.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2223492
jhawkkw likes this.
Podivin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #45 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhotovec View Post
hey colchiro, good to see your smiling face again.
I figured you'd picked up one of these when you started hanging out in the forum.
for what it's worth, cromi-x is my favorite rom.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2223492
cromi-x ftw.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 07:52 AM   #46 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
SteveWHamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Samsung Galaxy Note II (T-Mobile)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via MSN to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Yahoo to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Skype™ to SteveWHamilton
Default

@ mhotovec: Thanks for the CROMI-X mention. But what is the difference between CROMI-X and CleanROM Inheritance? Are they both made by the same people? Is CROMI-X officially sponsored by the CleanROM devs? I'm currently using Inheritance, as stated in my above post, and I'm loving it, but what I really want is the very latest Android version (or close to it) with all the newest Android features, even if they're not necessarily fully developed or still in alpha/beta.
SteveWHamilton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #47 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWHamilton View Post
@ mhotovec: Thanks for the CROMI-X mention. But what is the difference between CROMI-X and CleanROM Inheritance? Are they both made by the same people? Is CROMI-X officially sponsored by the CleanROM devs? I'm currently using Inheritance, as stated in my above post, and I'm loving it, but what I really want is the very latest Android version (or close to it) with all the newest Android features, even if they're not necessarily fully developed or still in alpha/beta.
sbdags writes both roms. CleanROM Inheritance is the builds for android 4.1.1 while CROMI-X is 4.2.1 builds for the TF700.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jhawkkw For This Useful Post:
Podivin (June 17th, 2013)
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:34 AM   #48 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
SteveWHamilton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Portland, Oregon, USA
Gender: Male
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): ASUS Transformer Pad Infinity TF700T Samsung Galaxy Note II (T-Mobile)
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1
Thanked 9 Times in 3 Posts
Send a message via MSN to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Yahoo to SteveWHamilton Send a message via Skype™ to SteveWHamilton
Default

I don't currently have a MicroSD card ever since my phone was stolen. I use the card for both my tablet and my phone. But I'm pretty sure I'll have to do a full wipe to be on the safe side, which means I'll have to erase everything. So how can I install CROMI-X without a SD?
SteveWHamilton is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 10:56 AM   #49 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 9,363
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Logitech Revue, Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 2,725
Thanked 5,829 Times in 3,291 Posts
jhawkkw
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveWHamilton View Post
I don't currently have a MicroSD card ever since my phone was stolen. I use the card for both my tablet and my phone. But I'm pretty sure I'll have to do a full wipe to be on the safe side, which means I'll have to erase everything. So how can I install CROMI-X without a SD?
Yep, factory resetting and cache and dalvik cache don't wipe the internal sd when wiping using twrp as suggested by the rom author.
jhawkkw is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2013, 12:00 PM   #50 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Podivin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Jacksonville, Fl
Posts: 3,544
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy S4, Rooted Asus TF700, Stock HTC Droid Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 529
Thanked 824 Times in 546 Posts
Default

So just save the CROMI-X zip file to internal storage and you'll be on your way. If you want to be extra sure your SD card data is safe you can remove it from the TF before flashing, but I can confirm that the data on your SD card won't be deleted with a factory reset, cache, davlik or system wipe. As long as you don't "wipe external SD" you'll be fine.
Podivin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Tablets & MIDs > ASUS Transformer Infinity TF700T > Transformer Infinity TF700T - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:32 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.