Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Triumph > Triumph - All Things Root

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
justdoyour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g HTC EVO 3D (Retired Moto Triumph(Retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Cool CM7 Triumph BATTERY LIFE IMPROVEMENT

Justdoyour's BATTERY LIFE IMPROVEMENTGUIDE

screenshot-1322957569760.jpg

MWHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Ok OK. Calm down I'll share...

I'm using CM7 tickerguy B0.8
And Mantera's overclocking kernel
-Kyles Help Desk CAN HELP YOU DO THESE 2 THINGS
(minus5252's Channel - YouTube)
  1. Brightness on the lowest setting
  2. Power Governor on Conservative in the Cyanogen MOD Performance Settings
  3. Min CPU= 460 MHZ ( I use this setting you might find varying success and can go lower if you want)
  4. Max CPU= 1900 MHZ ( I use this setting you might find varying success and can go lower if you want)
  5. Juice defender Ultimate = Aggressive
  6. Juice defender Ultimate 50% battery threshold
  7. Juice defender Ultimate Configure APPS
  • Set all apps that need 3G to enable (gmail, pandora, browsers, etc)
  • Set all games and apps that DON'T NEED or you don't want to have connectivity to disable
  • Set pandora to enable w/ off so radio stays on when screen is off
8.Download Battery Calibration and follow the instructions

TIPS:
  1. Delete all the extra non used widgets
  2. Move apps to sd card
  3. Go to airplane mode when you have no signal or your not using the phone
  4. CHARGE WITH THE CORRECT CHARGER YOU ****** (MOTOROLA)!!! My phone charges in about 1 hour!
  5. TURN SCREEN OFF WHEN YOUR NOT USING IT( Set it to go off automatically) based on preference
  6. Uninstall all the extra crappy apps your not using
  7. When your playing a game go into airplane
  8. Turn your wifi off or I recommend having JUICE DEFENDER ULTIMATE control it!
  9. SHARE YOUR RESULTS!!!!
  10. After making your settings mods download CPU SPY. Use this to monitor if your phone is going into deep sleep when not in use. (Contributed by Whyzor)

Advertisements
justdoyour is offline  
Last edited by justdoyour; December 7th, 2011 at 09:30 AM. Reason: Continued testing. Longest time: 2 days 1hr running at 1900mhz
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to justdoyour For This Useful Post:
Boche (December 6th, 2011), lifeblows10 (December 3rd, 2011), wtek (December 10th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 471
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G (otherwise known as the Evo 3D)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 203
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Hmm. Why so high on the MIN CPU setting?
lifeblows10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
Mobstergunz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 2,896
 
Device(s): Sony Xperia ZL
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1,058
Thanked 1,446 Times in 773 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeblows10 View Post
Hmm. Why so high on the MIN CPU setting?
the conservative governor tries to hang as low as you let it clock so with these setting it'll probably stay around the 800mhz to 900mhz area. setting a high min with conservative governor is a good idea because of this
Mobstergunz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 07:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
justdoyour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g HTC EVO 3D (Retired Moto Triumph(Retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobstergunz View Post
the conservative governor tries to hang as low as you let it clock so with these setting it'll probably stay around the 800mhz to 1000mhz area. setting a high min with conservative governor is a good idea because of this

Exactly! Basically functions as on demand if it needs to go faster. But it never falls below 800 so it stays pretty swift when just doing simple tasks.
justdoyour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 08:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 471
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G (otherwise known as the Evo 3D)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 203
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Ah. I use Smartassv2, 122MIN 1024MAX on the CM7 Stock Kernel and it works beautifully. I get about the exact same results. AND! I don't need Juicedefender to do it. However, I like your way as well. Just not overclocked THAT high.
lifeblows10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 09:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
justdoyour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g HTC EVO 3D (Retired Moto Triumph(Retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeblows10 View Post
Ah. I use Smartassv2, 122MIN 1024MAX on the CM7 Stock Kernel and it works beautifully. I get about the exact same results. AND! I don't need Juicedefender to do it. However, I like your way as well. Just not overclocked THAT high.
BIG difference. Speed is everything when your multitasking!
justdoyour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2011, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 471
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G (otherwise known as the Evo 3D)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 203
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdoyour View Post
BIG difference. Speed is everything when your multitasking!
I guess it all depends on how heavy you are multitasking. I am glad to see you get such impressive results using such a high frequency... I think I will switch to a new kernel, just because I want to try to beat you. Hehehe

But seriously, kudos.
lifeblows10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lifeblows10 For This Useful Post:
justdoyour (December 4th, 2011)
Old December 4th, 2011, 12:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Whyzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,102
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 (unlocked, rooted, & debloated)
Carrier: Lyca, Ptel, AirVoice

Thanks: 229
Thanked 959 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Battery stat is most affected by apps that keep wakelocks, preventing the CPu going into deep sleep mode (usually when screen is off, use CPU Spy app to see). Normal idle during screen on, the CPU is at the min frequency, which I believe 800 is too high, When it's actually processing info, it ramps up to max frequency, how fast depends on the governor, conservative has slow ramp up time. Interactive/X/smartass/v2 has faster ramp up time, sacrificing little in battery.

I've achieved 11 days on a charge with my OV using CM7 (turning off 3g, wifi, BT, GPS unless needed), also airplane mode during sleep. Now I've only had my MT for a couple of days (heavy use so far since I'm playing with it all the time, but I can probably easily stretch it to 3-4 days. I'll post more definite results in a week or so.
Whyzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whyzor For This Useful Post:
highline (December 4th, 2011), wtek (December 10th, 2011)
Old December 4th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
justdoyour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g HTC EVO 3D (Retired Moto Triumph(Retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
Battery stat is most affected by apps that keep wakelocks, preventing the CPu going into deep sleep mode (usually when screen is off, use CPU Spy app to see). Normal idle during screen on, the CPU is at the min frequency, which I believe 800 is too high, When it's actually processing info, it ramps up to max frequency, how fast depends on the governor, conservative has slow ramp up time. Interactive/X/smartass/v2 has faster ramp up time, sacrificing little in battery.

I've achieved 11 days on a charge with my OV using CM7 (turning off 3g, wifi, BT, GPS unless needed), also airplane mode during sleep. Now I've only had my MT for a couple of days (heavy use so far since I'm playing with it all the time, but I can probably easily stretch it to 3-4 days. I'll post more definite results in a week or so.

Cool. I'll be waiting for that post.
justdoyour is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justdoyour For This Useful Post:
iSnow (December 4th, 2011)
Old December 4th, 2011, 07:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 20
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeblows10 View Post
Ah. I use Smartassv2, 122MIN 1024MAX on the CM7 Stock Kernel and it works beautifully. I get about the exact same results. AND! I don't need Juicedefender to do it. However, I like your way as well. Just not overclocked THAT high.
How do you underclock to 122min on CM7 stock kernel? mine does not give you any options for over or under clocking fixed at 245min AFAIK
RJ803 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 4th, 2011, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ803 View Post
How do you underclock to 122min on CM7 stock kernel? mine does not give you any options for over or under clocking fixed at 245min AFAIK
You can't on stock, you need another kernel like TheOC.
Prey521 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 08:50 PM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
justdoyour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g HTC EVO 3D (Retired Moto Triumph(Retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ803 View Post
How do you underclock to 122min on CM7 stock kernel? mine does not give you any options for over or under clocking fixed at 245min AFAIK
Overclocking Your Motorola Triumph Running TickerGuys CyanogenMod 7 (CM7) Beta 7 - YouTube
justdoyour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 10:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 471
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G (otherwise known as the Evo 3D)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 203
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
You can't on stock, you need another kernel like TheOC.
False. You can use the Stock CM7 (or MIUI) kernel to clock to a min of 122. All you need is something like SetCPU or No Frills, and set it there. You can't do it from the CM settings, like you can with the other kernels (the ones that allow you to overclock.) If you want it to boot like that all the time you check the "set at boot" and every time you reboot the phone it will boot just like it.
lifeblows10 is offline  
Last edited by lifeblows10; December 4th, 2011 at 10:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 11:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
justdoyour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g HTC EVO 3D (Retired Moto Triumph(Retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeblows10 View Post
False. You can use the Stock CM7 (or MIUI) kernel to clock to a min of 122. All you need is something like SetCPU or No Frills, and set it there. You can't do it from the CM settings, like you can with the other kernels (the ones that allow you to overclock.) If you want it to boot like that all the time you check the "set at boot" and every time you reboot the phone it will boot just like it.
I would not advise using an additional clocking software outside of the one built into the kernel. As it may conflict with the clocking setting set through CM7 settings.
justdoyour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 471
 
Device(s): HTC Evo V 4G (otherwise known as the Evo 3D)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 203
Thanked 90 Times in 62 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdoyour View Post
I would not advise using an additional clocking software outside of the one built into the kernel. As it may conflict with the clocking setting set through CM7 settings.
HEY! JUST BECAUSE THIS ISN'T YOUR IDEA DOESN'T MEAN YOU SHOULD TRY TO BE HATTING ON MINE! (JK )

(That was completely sarcastic. You do have a valid point.) However, I never have ran into a problem with CM7 and SetCPU or No Frills. And I've used it that way since day one. (Had the phone since Aug. 24. )
lifeblows10 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:38 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Whyzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,102
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 (unlocked, rooted, & debloated)
Carrier: Lyca, Ptel, AirVoice

Thanks: 229
Thanked 959 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Some preliminary observations. I can get less than 1%/hr drain on idle if the phone goes into deep sleep (as seen in CPU Spy app). I'm at 1d 8h since last charge, and have 47% left. I would've had more if some mysterious bug didn't appear where going into airplane mode prevented it from going into deep sleep last night (stayed at 245 Mhz) for 8 hrs, draining about 28%.

Handy apps to improve battery usage are BetterBatteryStats, CPU Spy, & Current Widget (to get current readings, although seems to be only updated every 60 seconds).
Whyzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
justdoyour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g HTC EVO 3D (Retired Moto Triumph(Retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
Some preliminary observations. I can get less than 1%/hr drain on idle if the phone goes into deep sleep (as seen in CPU Spy app). I'm at 1d 8h since last charge, and have 47% left. I would've had more if some mysterious bug didn't appear where going into airplane mode prevented it from going into deep sleep last night (stayed at 245 Mhz) for 8 hrs, draining about 28%.

Handy apps to improve battery usage are BetterBatteryStats, CPU Spy, & Current Widget (to get current readings, although seems to be only updated every 60 seconds).
Cool. I'm currently at 1 day 5 hours 80%. I'll post a pic when I get to 10 percent for the final statistic with the the new tweaks I added.
justdoyour is offline  
Last edited by justdoyour; December 5th, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 10:31 PM   #18 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default

How do you get your phone to go into deep sleep and how can you tell if it's been going into deep sleep?

Thanks
Prey521 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #19 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Whyzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,102
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 (unlocked, rooted, & debloated)
Carrier: Lyca, Ptel, AirVoice

Thanks: 229
Thanked 959 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
How do you get your phone to go into deep sleep and how can you tell if it's been going into deep sleep?

Thanks
Download & run the CPU Spy app from market. Reset the counter, then turn off screen, wait 5-10 seconds. turn it on and refresh, you should see the deep sleep mode register (among other frequencies from the interactive part). If deep sleep doesn't appear, it takes some investigation into what apps you have installed and the settings in them that keeps them awake. Start with settings - applications - running services.
Whyzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 68
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

This thread indirectly helped me out a lot. I found that the facebook app and business calendar pro app were both really keeping the phone awake. I have removed both and am relying on google calendar (built into phone) and the facebook page via browser instead now.

I was hoping to find a fix for wifi in MIUI, but have so far been unsuccessful. It keeps the phone awake no matter what I do (awake meaning not in deep sleep, but clocked at 245 mhz instead).
Jmelz is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 6th, 2011, 01:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
justdoyour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g HTC EVO 3D (Retired Moto Triumph(Retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmelz View Post
This thread indirectly helped me out a lot. I found that the facebook app and business calendar pro app were both really keeping the phone awake. I have removed both and am relying on google calendar (built into phone) and the facebook page via browser instead now.

I was hoping to find a fix for wifi in MIUI, but have so far been unsuccessful. It keeps the phone awake no matter what I do (awake meaning not in deep sleep, but clocked at 245 mhz instead).
Have you tried telling Juice Defender Ultimate to control the wifi settings?
justdoyour is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #22 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 68
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justdoyour View Post
Have you tried telling Juice Defender Ultimate to control the wifi settings?
Not yet, I figured maybe something could be done at the rom level or some other specific fix. I've never used Juice Defender, only llama.

I admittedly havent even tried llama again since the change from punkrom to miui, but I might give it a shot.
Jmelz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:20 PM   #23 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
Download & run the CPU Spy app from market. Reset the counter, then turn off screen, wait 5-10 seconds. turn it on and refresh, you should see the deep sleep mode register (among other frequencies from the interactive part). If deep sleep doesn't appear, it takes some investigation into what apps you have installed and the settings in them that keeps them awake. Start with settings - applications - running services.
Thank......I let it sit for a minute and it never entered deep sleep.....time to do some huntin!

BTW, my batt life went from 100% to 98% in the few minutes that I unplugged it from the charger to run this test!!!
Prey521 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 04:41 PM   #24 (permalink)
Daleks Über Alles
 
agentc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Skaro
Posts: 7,905
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 4,173
Thanked 5,458 Times in 2,814 Posts
Default

Some related info from the CM7 thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickerguy View Post
My battery burn is about 4% an hour idle (screen off) with "push" email through K9, but otherwise nothing running in the background (other than Gmail notifies, calendar event syncs, etc.) I do not allow random apps (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, etc) to sync automatically and you shouldn't either unless you like dead batteries.

For power management keep in mind the following things:

1. Wifi is a power pig. If you leave it enabled on battery it's going to suck the juice. In a good signal area 3g is better. In a bad one Wifi is better because 3g is seeking a signal often which is terrible.

2. The phone cannot enter the deepest sleep states with Wifi enabled and wakes up a lot when data is connected on 3g. This results in ~35ma or so of idle current with a data connection up and roughly 50ma with Wifi up (remember, Wifi also has the cell radio on, although 3g data is down.)

3. A seeking radio is the worst case. Attempting to re-acquire a cell or Wifi signal murders battery life as that requires actively transmitting. Transmit = bad, receive = much less bad.

4. If you are off charge do not have Wifi on when not where there's a connection for you consider something like "Juice Defender". This phone has a nasty power profile when data is up, even on cell and even when it appears no data is being run over the connection. It is what it is; this is true on Froyo as well. Juice Defender will kill the data connection most of the time when the screen is off but bring it up every 15 minutes or so to check for background transfers. The gain in battery life on this phone from doing that is very significant. This doesn't inhibit getting calls or text messages while the phone is "sleeping" and is nearly transparent. In fact I'm considering trying to figure out a way to patch CM7 to build in some of that functionality without an app, as a "timed" data enable could be a monstrous power saver.

5. Accept that if you have the screen on you're going to burn up the battery. Ditto if the CPU is pegged doing work. Between the two it is entirely possible to run power levels of 500ma or more, which will exhaust a full batter in under three hours. This is not unique to the Triumph; the more CPU you have and use and the more backlight you have on the less time the battery will last.

.....

I get about 3 hours of "heavy" browser use out of the battery. That's pretty good - on par with my other Android devices over the last couple of years. If I am going to be away from a charge source all day and want to make heavy of the phone I carry a spare battery with me.
I have found that following those tips and using Juice Defender Ultimate to toggle my data I can get a full day of light to moderate use easily from a full charge (maybe more, but I charge it every night). Like it was stated there though, I only get a few hours with heavy usage.

There is no way I am going to overclock to 1900. Maybe a slight overclock if I can see proof that it hasn't harmed anything and I get some sort of benefit from it. Since I don't play many graphically intense games, I haven't seen much use in overclocking my phone.

I haven't tested it, but I have noticed with wifi and 3g off my battery life is immensely long, so I assume it is doing the "deep sleep" just fine.
agentc13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agentc13 For This Useful Post:
Whyzor (December 6th, 2011)
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:00 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Here are the apps that I have always running. The one that I suspect may be keeping the phone from going into deep sleep is Lookout Mobile or Touchdown/Airwatch. All of the non system apps are must haves so I guess I'll never get into that Deep Sleep mode! :-(

My Running Apps
-Google Voice
-Battery Defender
-Touchdown
-Sense Analog Small Clock
-Facebook
-Lookout Mobile
-Go Launcher EX
-Go Contacts EX
-AirWatch Agent
-SwiftKey X

Running System Apps
-DSP Manager
-Google Services
-Settings


My battery has dropped 15% in the 40 minutes that I've had it off the charger. Only using it to uninstall a couple of apps and perform these tests. I'm running the latest OC kernel/Conservative Governer/122mz - 1.5ghz. I suspect that it's Lookout chewing up my battery due to the nature of the app.
Prey521 is offline  
Last edited by Prey521; December 6th, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:09 PM   #26 (permalink)
句_句 Smurfing Awesome
 
septembersrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: San Antonio, TX
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,743
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy SIII-Rooted(Boost Mobile)/Samsung Galaxy Note II-MyMIUI V5(T-Mobile)
Carrier: Boost Mobile,Virgin Mobile,T-Mobile

Thanks: 636
Thanked 566 Times in 425 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to septembersrain Send a message via Skype™ to septembersrain Septembersrain1984@gmail
Default

Data is a pig. If you turn that off when you don't need it, it's like double or triple the battery life. I leave the "Recieve MMS even when data is off" on MIUI on.

All other settings I've tried don't really change it enough for me to mention.
__________________
ஜ۩۞۩ஜStore Manager~Boost Mobile/Virgin Mobileஜ۩۞۩ஜ
↓↓↓↓↓Bored? Come join us!↓↓↓↓↓
http://androidforums.com/forum-games/
septembersrain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:11 PM   #27 (permalink)
Daleks Über Alles
 
agentc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Skaro
Posts: 7,905
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 4,173
Thanked 5,458 Times in 2,814 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Here are the apps that I have always running. The one that I suspect may be keeping the phone from going into deep sleep is Lookout Mobile or Touchdown/Airwatch. All of the non system apps are must haves so I guess I'll never get into that Deep Sleep mode! :-(

My Running Apps
-Google Voice
-Battery Defender
-Touchdown
-Sense Analog Small Clock
-Facebook
-Lookout Mobile
-Go Launcher EX
-Go Contacts EX
-AirWatch Agent
-SwiftKey X

Running System Apps
-DSP Manager
-Google Services
-Settings


My battery has dropped 15% in the 40 minutes that I've had it off the charger. Only using it to uninstall a couple of apps and perform these tests. I'm running the latest OC kernel/Conservative Governer/122mz - 1.5ghz. I suspect that it's Lookout chewing up my battery due to the nature of the app.
Facebook will probably cause some issues with that as well.
Personally I find Lookout and other anti-virus apps a waste, but you are free to have your own opinion about that. They tend to be resource hogs as well (I don't know specifically about the one you had listed).
agentc13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #28 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentc13 View Post
Facebook will probably cause some issues with that as well.
Personally I find Lookout and other anti-virus apps a waste, but you are free to have your own opinion about that. They tend to be resource hogs as well (I don't know specifically about the one you had listed).
Yeah, Facebook could be the issue but I'm a FB Whore so it has to stay LOL. I've found other 3rd Facebook apps like Seesmic or Tweetdeck severely lacking so I stick with the native app.

As far as Lookout goes, I don't have the av/security scanner in it enabled, I only use it for remote tracking in case it gets lost/stolen and I also use it to backup my phone to their cloud once a week.
Prey521 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 05:52 PM   #29 (permalink)
Daleks Über Alles
 
agentc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Skaro
Posts: 7,905
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 4,173
Thanked 5,458 Times in 2,814 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Yeah, Facebook could be the issue but I'm a FB Whore so it has to stay LOL. I've found other 3rd Facebook apps like Seesmic or Tweetdeck severely lacking so I stick with the native app.

As far as Lookout goes, I don't have the av/security scanner in it enabled, I only use it for remote tracking in case it gets lost/stolen and I also use it to backup my phone to their cloud once a week.

I use something else to track/lock my phone. Where's my droid I think it is called. I do my own nandroid backups regularly so no need for the cloud service.
I use the facebook app too, but it is quite a hog!
agentc13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 06:02 PM   #30 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Whyzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,102
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 (unlocked, rooted, & debloated)
Carrier: Lyca, Ptel, AirVoice

Thanks: 229
Thanked 959 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Yeah, Facebook could be the issue but I'm a FB Whore so it has to stay LOL. I've found other 3rd Facebook apps like Seesmic or Tweetdeck severely lacking so I stick with the native app.

As far as Lookout goes, I don't have the av/security scanner in it enabled, I only use it for remote tracking in case it gets lost/stolen and I also use it to backup my phone to their cloud once a week.
I use my browser to check Facebook instead of installing the app (m.facebook.com or touch.facebook.com). Also have SMS notification for private FB messages, since I figure those are more urgent.
Whyzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 6th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #31 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
I use my browser to check Facebook instead of installing the app (m.facebook.com or touch.facebook.com). Also have SMS notification for private FB messages, since I figure those are more urgent.
Yeah, I can't do that, I've tried it and it's not the same. I'd rather deal with the battery issues.
Prey521 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 08:18 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentc13 View Post
I use something else to track/lock my phone. Where's my droid I think it is called. I do my own nandroid backups regularly so no need for the cloud service.
I use the facebook app too, but it is quite a hog!
I only used it to auto backup my pics but you just reminded me that my pics auto backup to Google+ instantly, so I can probably just turn that off and just use the Location component.
Prey521 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 08:47 PM   #33 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Uninstalled FB and Lookout and still won't go into sleep mode. Hmmmmmm

Should it go into Sleep Mode even when it's charging or does it only go when on battery?
Prey521 is offline  
Last edited by Prey521; December 6th, 2011 at 08:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:15 PM   #34 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 68
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Uninstalled FB and Lookout and still won't go into sleep mode. Hmmmmmm

Should it go into Sleep Mode even when it's charging or does it only go when on battery?
I can't answer your second question with 100% certainty, so I'll try the first comment. Reboot after you make changes. It has been stated before (I read a few times today actually) that sometimes even a system process will prevent deep sleep - depending on changes made in android.
Jmelz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Whyzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,102
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 (unlocked, rooted, & debloated)
Carrier: Lyca, Ptel, AirVoice

Thanks: 229
Thanked 959 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
Uninstalled FB and Lookout and still won't go into sleep mode. Hmmmmmm

Should it go into Sleep Mode even when it's charging or does it only go when on battery?
It'll only go into sleep on battery, so have to unplug to test.
Whyzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 09:43 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Thanks, will give it a try.
Prey521 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:06 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default

I just setup a terminal ping from my PC to the IP address of my phone and I'm realizing that the WIFI connection stays active even though I have the policy setup to turn the wifi off when the screen turns off. I stopped the Battery Defender service for my Deep Sleep testing but the wifi should still turn off when the screen goes off.
Prey521 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:17 PM   #38 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default

OK, so with all of my normal apps running and wifi/3g off it's going into Deep Sleep....now I have to figure out why wifi's not shutting down when the screen goes off.
Prey521 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 10:27 PM   #39 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 68
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Here's a better one... I use llama for my condition/profile automatic settings, and it allows the phone to go into deep sleep (I've tested). As soon as I throw in an event to turn wifi on with screen on, and off with screen off, phone can't go to deep sleep anymore. Wifi is a stubborn thing on this phone.
Jmelz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:20 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Whyzor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,102
 
Device(s): LG Optimus F6 (unlocked, rooted, & debloated)
Carrier: Lyca, Ptel, AirVoice

Thanks: 229
Thanked 959 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prey521 View Post
OK, so with all of my normal apps running and wifi/3g off it's going into Deep Sleep....now I have to figure out why wifi's not shutting down when the screen goes off.
It's a bug in our CM7 that wifi doesn't obey its own sleep policy and basically just drains an extra 50mA unless it's turned off. TG mentioned it in his ROM thread.
Whyzor is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:23 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 466
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 49
Thanked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
It's a bug in our CM7 that wifi doesn't obey its own sleep policy and basically just drains an extra 50mA unless it's turned off. TG mentioned it in his ROM thread.
Ah ok, thanks. At least I know that none of my every day apps are preventing Deep Sleep mode. I'll just turn it off manually since not even "Battery Defender" is turning the WIFI off like it's supposed to. I may pony up the cash for Juice Defender Ultimate, but will wait to see if it's in one of the packages that Google is offering for 10c in their current Market promotion :-D

Thanks for all of the help.
Prey521 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:43 PM   #42 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
justdoyour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 27
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Victory 4g HTC EVO 3D (Retired Moto Triumph(Retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 11
Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Some of you people like to knock my settings, but I get results. If you don't like my settings and/or guide then make your own guide or just ignore the thread. SMH

In the attachment you can see my most recent battery statistics. This was accompanied with heavy wifi/data use toward the end hence the drop in the battery graph.

I adjusted my minimum to 400 mhz and it improved my battery life and still gave me enough balance for performance. I'm also testing the effect of es task manager widget for closing apps...To those who appreciate the guidance ENJOY!

screenshot-1323220329724.jpg
justdoyour is offline  
Last edited by justdoyour; December 6th, 2011 at 11:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2011, 11:55 PM   #43 (permalink)
Daleks Über Alles
 
agentc13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Skaro
Posts: 7,905
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Carrier: AT&T

Thanks: 4,173
Thanked 5,458 Times in 2,814 Posts
Default

I don't think anyone was trying to "knock your settings". From everything I see in this thread it is users discussing how to get better battery life on their phone. I think you have some good stuff listed as to what you do, but having other people add other tips doesn't hurt or detract from your post. It can help people understand things better.

I would say recommending that people overclock to 1900 MHZ is risky, but that is the only thing I wouldn't personally recommend to others that you listed. This might be because I don't think the reward outweighs the risk, and that is just a personal opinion. I am sure there are plenty of people who have OC'ed to 1900 and don't have a problem.
agentc13 is offline  
Last edited by agentc13; December 7th, 2011 at 12:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #44 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 68
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 19
Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Default

I'd like to also mention that llama does most of what juice defender ultimate does, and is free. The dev is a pretty cool guy too, sometimes personally emailing you back with answers to questions.
Jmelz is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 06:10 PM   #45 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 12
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph CM7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyzor View Post
Download & run the CPU Spy app from market. Reset the counter, then turn off screen, wait 5-10 seconds. turn it on and refresh, you should see the deep sleep mode register (among other frequencies from the interactive part). If deep sleep doesn't appear, it takes some investigation into what apps you have installed and the settings in them that keeps them awake. Start with settings - applications - running services.
The only ones that I have running are settings, juicedefender, google services, maps and android keyboard. It won't go into deep sleep. I closed settings then opened cpu spy.
gradymcd is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:04 PM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tokens210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clifton Heights, PA (Just Outside Philadelphia)
Gender: Male
Posts: 844
 
Device(s): Moto Triumph MTDEV-CM7-20130303(Retired), Samsung Galaxy S3 Running CM11-20140812
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 104
Thanked 181 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Running My stock Triumph with normal day to day usage for me, i had trouble passing 24 hours without having to charge it


Just Running Plain CM7-Reloaded the best ive seen it do with my normal usage is 50% battery just under 48 Hours


All and all for me atleast, just the rom itself with the tweaks improved my battery life by atleast 2 days

Recently, after lil web browsing and what not, my pic is what im looking at
Attached Images
File Type: png screenshot-1334793403743.png (94.0 KB, 41 views)
Tokens210 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:41 PM   #47 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NYC
Posts: 391
 
Device(s): Motorola Triumph, Nexus 7
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 56
Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokens210 View Post
Running My stock Triumph with normal day to day usage for me, i had trouble passing 24 hours without having to charge it


Just Running Plain CM7-Reloaded the best ive seen it do with my normal usage is 50% battery just under 48 Hours


All and all for me atleast, just the rom itself with the tweaks improved my battery life by atleast 2 days

Recently, after lil web browsing and what not, my pic is what im looking at
wats ur settings?
jarjar124 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:51 PM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Tokens210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Clifton Heights, PA (Just Outside Philadelphia)
Gender: Male
Posts: 844
 
Device(s): Moto Triumph MTDEV-CM7-20130303(Retired), Samsung Galaxy S3 Running CM11-20140812
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 104
Thanked 181 Times in 157 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarjar124 View Post
wats ur settings?
I'm running the 3-25 cm7 reloaded pretty much nothing else, which settings?

I have my dispaly set to auto bright, screen shut off in 30 seconds
No bt or wifi( running wifi or hotspots I can kill a 100% charge in 3 hours lol)
Although its not highly liked or advised I run advance task killer with auto kill completely disabled cause it seems to be the only thing that actually kills my Facebook and browser properly

As for other stuff, I'm running full animations, screen on and off animations



If I basically leave the phone in standby mode ill get 2 days and have atleast 55% battery left
Tokens210 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 11:07 PM   #49 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,319
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 59
Thanked 1,586 Times in 442 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gradymcd View Post
The only ones that I have running are settings, juicedefender, google services, maps and android keyboard. It won't go into deep sleep. I closed settings then opened cpu spy.
In the screenshot, you have your wifi turned on. In cm7, cm9, or miui, having wifi on will keep your phone from going into deep sleep.
mantera is offline  
Last edited by mantera; April 19th, 2012 at 08:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mantera For This Useful Post:
gradymcd (April 21st, 2012)
Old April 19th, 2012, 02:37 AM   #50 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
PimpinEZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 52
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default

i'd like this 245>460>652>806>1024>1200 with lowest voltage on 245mhz and default on the rest
PimpinEZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
android, batt, batteries, battery, battery life, clockwork, cm7, gingerbread, guide, improve, isaacj87, justdoyour, kernel, mod, motorola, on triumph, overclock, rooted, sucks, triumph


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Motorola Triumph > Triumph - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:34 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.