Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge > TV/Film
TV/Film Talk about tv shows and movies.

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mayhem
  • 1 Post By Kahroo

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 26th, 2013, 02:58 PM   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Kahroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 682
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 60
Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Default Buying my first HDTV

So in about a couple weeks I shall be buying my first HDTV. So I would like some help/opinions on which one to get.

I'm looking for a 30-40in that can output at 1080p. I not looking for anything expensive so nothing $1000+. I will be using it with just my PS3 as I don't have cable in my room. So mainly for gaming, Movies, and the occasional Netflix.

Thanks for the help. :3

Advertisements
Kahroo is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 26th, 2013, 03:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, Texas area
Gender: Male
Posts: 869
 
Device(s): Stock rooted Samsung Galaxy S5. Nook Tablet w/CM10.
Carrier: T-Mobile. So long VZW!

Thanks: 72
Thanked 150 Times in 118 Posts
Default

I have a 40" Sony Bravia that I'm pretty happy with. Not sure if they make the 40" anymore from looking at their website.

A word of caution on HDMI cables: Don't fall for the expensive ones. I bought a couple of sub-$5 cables from Amazon that have worked flawlessly for me for the last couple of years. Pricey cables are a scam.

*cough*monster cables*cough*
Speed Daemon likes this.
__________________
"A free American means just this: individual freedom for all, rich or poor, or else this system of government we call democracy is only an expedient to enslave man to the machine and make him like it. - Frank Lloyd Wright
Mayhem is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Get a LED model. It's worth it.

When I shopped for my full-HD (1080p60) TV, the smallest screen size that supported full-HD was 40". I don't know if that's still true, but 40" is as small as I'd want to go for a main TV set. Aside from full-HD, you'll want to look for a higher refresh rate. 120Hz is ideal. Some 240Hz sets actually perform worse. All new HD sets can do 3-D, and theoretically you could flash a non-3D set with a 3D ROM and get the feature for free. I'd just pay for it; you'll need the goggles anyway. Also look for enough HDMI inputs.

You might want a TV with Internet and local streaming built-in. My set has it, and occasionally I use the DLNA feature to play music or show pictures from a local PC.
Speed Daemon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 26th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Kahroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 682
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 60
Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Default Re: Buying my first HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post
Get a LED model. It's worth it.

When I shopped for my full-HD (1080p60) TV, the smallest screen size that supported full-HD was 40". I don't know if that's still true, but 40" is as small as I'd want to go for a main TV set. Aside from full-HD, you'll want to look for a higher refresh rate. 120Hz is ideal. Some 240Hz sets actually perform worse. All new HD sets can do 3-D, and theoretically you could flash a non-3D set with a 3D ROM and get the feature for free. I'd just pay for it; you'll need the goggles anyway. Also look for enough HDMI inputs.

You might want a TV with Internet and local streaming built-in. My set has it, and occasionally I use the DLNA feature to play music or show pictures from a local PC.
I can care less about 3D TVs and I don't need one with internet since I have my PS3 for that. (Netflix/YouTube)
Speed Daemon likes this.
Kahroo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
saptech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Third Stone from the Sun
Posts: 3,680
 
Device(s): Motorola Moto G, Samsung Stratosphere, Galaxy Tab 2 SE.
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 611
Thanked 798 Times in 637 Posts
Default

I've had my 37" HDTV Westinghouse for a few years now and really enjoying it. I have my Mini Mac connected as a HTPC setup also.

Go for it and enjoy it!
__________________
"I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked" - Jimi Hendrix
saptech is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 07:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,796
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,286
Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

With that small of a tv you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference between 720 and 1080. What kind of room will you be using it in? If you don't have a lot of windows that will cause glare, don't dismiss plasma. The picture is more natural imo, and you get way more tv for the money. I like the picture on the 43" 720p plasma in the basement better than the 52" 1080p LCD we have in the living room. Don't let people scare you about burn in. I play ps3 on mine all the time and I've never had any problem.
__________________
"Machete don't text"
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Kahroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 682
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 60
Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Default Re: Buying my first HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
With that small of a tv you'll be hard pressed to notice a difference between 720 and 1080. What kind of room will you be using it in? If you don't have a lot of windows that will cause glare, don't dismiss plasma. The picture is more natural imo, and you get way more tv for the money. I like the picture on the 43" 720p plasma in the basement better than the 52" 1080p LCD we have in the living room. Don't let people scare you about burn in. I play ps3 on mine all the time and I've never had any problem.
It will be in my small room with two windows.
Kahroo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:29 AM   #8 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Mayhem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Austin, Texas area
Gender: Male
Posts: 869
 
Device(s): Stock rooted Samsung Galaxy S5. Nook Tablet w/CM10.
Carrier: T-Mobile. So long VZW!

Thanks: 72
Thanked 150 Times in 118 Posts
Default Re: Buying my first HDTV

Also should mention that LCDs put off a lot of heat. I can't comment if Plasma or LED do as well.
Mayhem is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:33 AM   #9 (permalink)
Gun for Hire
 
NYCHitman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Long Island, NY
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,484
 
Device(s): Nexus 5
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 1,432
Thanked 1,676 Times in 1,093 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Also should mention that LCDs put off a lot of heat. I can't comment if Plasma or LED do as well.
Plasma gives off serious heat, but like Gmash said - the picture quality is unmatched for various aspects. I highly recommend checking out the Panasonic Viera line of plasma HDTV's.
__________________
I talk to corporate like a BAWSS!

DEVICE ► Nexus 5 / Nexus 7
ROM ► Dirty Unicorns
KERNEL ► Stock / ElementalX
NYCHitman1 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 04:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Also should mention that LCDs put off a lot of heat. I can't comment if Plasma or LED do as well.
I suppose that's a subjective matter; what you call "a lot of heat" is what I call virtually no heat at all.

IME the devices that make light are the much larger heat producers. Older LCD sets that use fluorescent tubes as their light source can get quite warm because fluorescent tubes rely on heating elements, and (as the name suggests) those heating elements do produce a lot of heat. LEDs don't need heaters, and so they tend to run cooler. Even still, the LEDs in a LED-lit TV will produce far more heat than the LCD itself.

Plasma TVs are a completely different design that's closer to the old CRT TV (in fact they are a variant of the basic CRT design), so they should be considered as such.
Speed Daemon is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old February 27th, 2013, 04:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahroo View Post
I can care less about 3D TVs and I don't need one with internet since I have my PS3 for that. (Netflix/YouTube)
In that case you really just need to concentrate on display quality.

If you enjoy watching TV in a darkened room, you may prefer a plasma display. I haven't been a big fan of plasma because they used to weigh a ton, gulp electricity, wear out quickly, and worst of all not give full-HD resolution. I hear that the latest Panasonic (about the last brand to stick with this technology) has overcome most of these drawbacks, at least on their larger models, so if you're the kind who considers the TV to be a perfectly appropriate primary light source, you'll want to audition one of these.

I'm one of those people who lives in darkened rooms, and I've been perfectly satisfied with my LCD TV sets. It's not like they're too dim to watch in the daytime, or anything like that. But if you have a large family or lots of guests, some LCD displays don't look as good when viewed from the sides. When you check out LCD sets, be sure to view them from extreme angles to see how they act.
Speed Daemon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 04:51 PM   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Kahroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 682
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 60
Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Default Re: Buying my first HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post
In that case you really just need to concentrate on display quality.

If you enjoy watching TV in a darkened room, you may prefer a plasma display. I haven't been a big fan of plasma because they used to weigh a ton, gulp electricity, wear out quickly, and worst of all not give full-HD resolution. I hear that the latest Panasonic (about the last brand to stick with this technology) has overcome most of these drawbacks, at least on their larger models, so if you're the kind who considers the TV to be a perfectly appropriate primary light source, you'll want to audition one of these.

I'm one of those people who lives in darkened rooms, and I've been perfectly satisfied with my LCD TV sets. It's not like they're too dim to watch in the daytime, or anything like that. But if you have a large family or lots of guests, some LCD displays don't look as good when viewed from the sides. When you check out LCD sets, be sure to view them from extreme angles to see how they act.
Kay thanks for that. Would just be me and my brother using it. I'll look at some Panasonic TVs
Kahroo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 04:56 PM   #13 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahroo View Post
Kay thanks for that. Would just be me and my brother using it. I'll look at some Panasonic TVs
If it's just the two of you most of the time, a good LCD TV may be your best choice. Do give the plasma sets a look, but be aware that stores will play especially vivid content that is designed to look spectacular. Don't let yourself get too distracted by showroom tricks no matter what the set.
Speed Daemon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Kahroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 682
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 60
Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Default Re: Buying my first HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Daemon View Post
If it's just the two of you most of the time, a good LCD TV may be your best choice. Do give the plasma sets a look, but be aware that stores will play especially vivid content that is designed to look spectacular. Don't let yourself get too distracted by showroom tricks no matter what the set.
Yeah I know. I'll bring my brother along. Thanks. Also I hear Samsung makes good TVs is this true?
Kahroo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 06:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,796
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,286
Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

My plasma is Samsung, and it has great picture quality. New plasma sets don't use as much energy or generate much heat anymore. Not heavy anymore, either. You get deeper blacks, near unlimited viewing angles, and they are super smooth for games because you don't have to worry about refresh rates. Only drawback really is the glare/reflection you get from the glass screen. Creative placement of lamps and/or curtains on the windows, depending on the placement of the tv helps. If you don't need a lot of hdmi inputs and bells and whistles, you can get a great deal on a no frills model that still has a great screen.
Gmash is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 10:27 PM   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Kahroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NJ
Posts: 682
 
Device(s): HTC EVO V 4G
Carrier: Virgin Mobile

Thanks: 60
Thanked 40 Times in 36 Posts
Default Re: Buying my first HDTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmash View Post
My plasma is Samsung, and it has great picture quality. New plasma sets don't use as much energy or generate much heat anymore. Not heavy anymore, either. You get deeper blacks, near unlimited viewing angles, and they are super smooth for games because you don't have to worry about refresh rates. Only drawback really is the glare/reflection you get from the glass screen. Creative placement of lamps and/or curtains on the windows, depending on the placement of the tv helps. If you don't need a lot of hdmi inputs and bells and whistles, you can get a great deal on a no frills model that still has a great screen.
What model? And 2 HDMI ports are fine with me
Kahroo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Gmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: neither Here nor There
Gender: Male
Posts: 5,796
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S3, Huawei Mercury (stock/rooted), Huawei Ascend (CM7 2.3.5 @710mhz)
Carrier: Cricket

Thanks: 2,286
Thanked 1,573 Times in 1,204 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahroo View Post
What model? And 2 HDMI ports are fine with me
Samsung PN43E450 - CNET Mobile

They sell these everywhere. I've seen them on sale for as low as $350, usually $400. Only two hdmi ports, but my a/v receiver has six hdmi out, and I have everything running through that anyway. I don't think you can beat it for the price. Of course you can get better if you want to spend more.

Samsung page:

SAMSUNG
Gmash is offline  
Last edited by Gmash; February 28th, 2013 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2013, 11:56 PM   #18 (permalink)
Disabled
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,033
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 541
Thanked 556 Times in 440 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahroo View Post
Yeah I know. I'll bring my brother along. Thanks. Also I hear Samsung makes good TVs is this true?
Yes. I own both Sony and Samsung, and like the Samsung better. Samsung is the largest OEM of LCD panels, so it only follows that their brand TVs will get the cream of the crop out of those panels. Also, I've noticed telltale Samsung logos on displays used in very high quality video productions. If that's what they're using on the high-end supply side, it certainly is good enough to view on!

Do let your own personal tastes be your ultimate guide.
Speed Daemon is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Forums Community > The Lounge > TV/Film
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.