Go Back   Android Forums > Android Development > Developer Forums > Velocity

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old February 8th, 2011, 08:37 PM   #151 (permalink)
Member
 
dcooterfrog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 175
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 14
Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitnowmarketing View Post
Yes. Odex is the opposite of deodex. The stock lg rom is odexed and the java classes.dex are contained in an odex file. Deodexing allows theming but the side effect is the classes.dex are placed into the apk. On first boot or wipe of dalvik-cache on a deodexed rom these classes.dex are unpacked and optimized into the dalvik-cache and take up some space there. Using the odex script on velocity will re odex all the apks in system and will give you ~ 33mb more free space on /data partition at the cost of not being able to install any themes that alter the system apps after the point you odexed. Framework is left deodexed on velocity FYI.
so in this case once I find a theme I like I can odex the rom and save same space. if I feel I need to "go back" I can restore a nandroid right./ or reflash

dcooterfrog is offline  
sponsored links
Old February 8th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #152 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid one
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

whats in script update 17?
it didnt say
__________________
LG ally Velocity 1.1 oc 748
kninetimmy is offline  
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:54 PM   #153 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
Biotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,367
 
Device(s): Xperia U- Miui 2.10, Razr-Bionx Catalyst b3ta, Spectrum-Bionx Catalyst b3ta, Ally-Bionx 1.2, Kin
Carrier: Straight Talk

Thanks: 308
Thanked 675 Times in 350 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Biotic rgocal09
Default

Lolol rofl and the guy that complained and asked if there was an easier way has found the way thanku for makin me fewl idiotic but I am now on velc 1 and enjoyen it. Man that was simple. No guide or hacking used. Aaalllright
Biotic is offline  
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:37 AM   #154 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 34
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 18
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kninetimmy View Post
whats in script update 17?
it didnt say
Looks like the OTA function of the Velocity script was enabled......perhaps an update is forthcoming....
Weatherman48 is offline  
Old February 9th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #155 (permalink)
Member
 
k.c.cole's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Colorado
Posts: 363
 
Device(s): Droid 2 - ICS MIUI
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 257
Thanked 71 Times in 49 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by getitnowmarketing View Post
On windows greater than xp or linux no additional drivers are needed for rndis wired tether. Xp users have reported that upgrading to sp3 has the drivers included.

Id like a xp sp2 or less user to try this for me.

Download and install active sync 4.5. Yes this is for windows mobile but contains the driver you need. Download details: ActiveSync 4.5


Plug-in phone and activate the wired tether.

When its asks you for the driver generic RNDIS driver, you can choose the place of this driver (don't choose automatic).
Then point the "Find New Hardware" wizard to the directory location :
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\Drivers
I've been experiencing a similar issue, except I don't use the tethering. When I plug in the usb cable in windows 7 , the no longer seems to recognize the connection. I don't get the option to mount the USB or the USB debugging icon.
They appear normally when connecting to Ubuntu, and oddly i had the phone connected last night when restarting windows 7 and while it was loading the bios the icons popped up with the debug and mount options, as soon as Win7 logo appeared the icons dissapeared.
__________________
Veritas Vos Liberabit

K. Cole
Android Ninja
k.c.cole is offline  
Old February 9th, 2011, 05:58 PM   #156 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 32
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Thanks so much!! Sent you a paltry $5... And I made this amazing image:
ThePDW is offline  
Old February 9th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #157 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 10
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgocal View Post
Lolol rofl and the guy that complained and asked if there was an easier way has found the way thanku for makin me fewl idiotic but I am now on velc 1 and enjoyen it. Man that was simple. No guide or hacking used. Aaalllright
Good! I'm glad you got it done. Sorry for being rude but it gets annoying when a ton of people ask the same question. So why not post your method here to help others who were in your situation?
EpicFailz is offline  
Old February 9th, 2011, 07:54 PM   #158 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Terryville, CT 06786
Posts: 113
 
Device(s): LG Ally Froyo-Root-Fastboot running Velocity V1.1 Froyo OC'ed 768Mhz Smartass Governor Motorola Xoo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 27 Times in 25 Posts
Send a message via MSN to fltblkvic dixey21
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePDW View Post
Thanks so much!! Sent you a paltry $5... And I made this amazing image:

^
That is just freaking awesome!! Just sayin'! Awesome!
fltblkvic is offline  
Old February 9th, 2011, 08:15 PM   #159 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
Biotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,367
 
Device(s): Xperia U- Miui 2.10, Razr-Bionx Catalyst b3ta, Spectrum-Bionx Catalyst b3ta, Ally-Bionx 1.2, Kin
Carrier: Straight Talk

Thanks: 308
Thanked 675 Times in 350 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Biotic rgocal09
Default

I believe its a matter of tricking the phone. I wanted 2.2 so I got the lg updater ready and did the process...still with ra recovery. It completed and got to android boot screen and kept looping. I tried flashing back to velc. 0.4 cuz I just gave up but it got to verizon logo and the phone kept rebooting so I figured the 2.2 img was flashed successfully. So I flashed velv 1 and after a couple reboots and cache wipes it booted up. I still believe somthing can be written in the update script but what does a rookie dev know 0.o. I'm a tablet coder not a phone coder. I wouldn't try my process but someone who has spare phones could try it. Simplicity is what the community needs. And I apologize for ignorance. And trident team, one word. Awsome
Biotic is offline  
Old February 10th, 2011, 09:45 AM   #160 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 32
 
Device(s): LG Ally, Running Velocity 0.3
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

So for this i need 2.2 installed? Having a Mac FTL.... ( ._.)
relldotnet is offline  
sponsored links
Old February 10th, 2011, 02:32 PM   #161 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 103
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid one
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 4
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

yo bro
i have a mac just get a trial of parreles and boom
all better
kninetimmy is offline  
Old February 11th, 2011, 12:19 AM   #162 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
Biotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,367
 
Device(s): Xperia U- Miui 2.10, Razr-Bionx Catalyst b3ta, Spectrum-Bionx Catalyst b3ta, Ally-Bionx 1.2, Kin
Carrier: Straight Talk

Thanks: 308
Thanked 675 Times in 350 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Biotic rgocal09
Default

Yes so far
Biotic is offline  
Old February 11th, 2011, 01:22 AM   #163 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): LG Ally w/ Velocity V1.0 Froyo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Great work on the rom! I've been using Velocity for a while and it's by far the best and highest quality LG Ally rom. So happy for the Froyo version.

I have a problem though :|

While the menu-driven script system worked flawlessly, I really want to remove the 3g Mobile Hotspot icon from the app drawer. I did some research and know a few things.

1) The icon is tied into Settings.apk
2) Mynet.apk is the usual way of removing 3g Mobile Hotspot, however, that apk doesn't even exist on my phone.


Is there ANY possible way I can actually delete this? I would really really appreciate any help on the matter, I really just hate to see the useless icon


Thanks!
CskaMoskva is offline  
Last edited by CskaMoskva; February 11th, 2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old February 11th, 2011, 07:45 AM   #164 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
d0nd0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55
 
Device(s): DROID X2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to d0nd0n Send a message via MSN to d0nd0n Send a message via Yahoo to d0nd0n Send a message via Skype™ to d0nd0n
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CskaMoskva View Post
Great work on the rom! I've been using Velocity for a while and it's by far the best and highest quality LG Ally rom. So happy for the Froyo version.

I have a problem though :|

While the menu-driven script system worked flawlessly, I really want to remove the 3g Mobile Hotspot icon from the app drawer. I did some research and know a few things.

1) The icon is tied into Settings.apk
2) Mynet.apk is the usual way of removing 3g Mobile Hotspot, however, that apk doesn't even exist on my phone.


Is there ANY possible way I can actually delete this? I would really really appreciate any help on the matter, I really just hate to see the useless icon


Thanks!
At this point, no. If you had opened the LG Mobile Hotspot app since you got Velocity 1.0 you would notice that most of the app's insides have been removed, but apparently the icon evaded them. The only thing I can suggest is that you use a launcher such as maybe LauncherPro that can hide apps from your app drawer.
__________________
Running DROID X2 w/ Eclipse 1.2
d0nd0n is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to d0nd0n For This Useful Post:
savoxis (February 11th, 2011)
Old February 11th, 2011, 02:09 PM   #165 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Florida
Posts: 2
 
Device(s): LG Ally w/ Velocity V1.0 Froyo
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nd0n View Post
At this point, no. If you had opened the LG Mobile Hotspot app since you got Velocity 1.0 you would notice that most of the app's insides have been removed, but apparently the icon evaded them. The only thing I can suggest is that you use a launcher such as maybe LauncherPro that can hide apps from your app drawer.
Yeah, that's my current stopgap until I can figure out a way to get rid of that darn icon haha.
CskaMoskva is offline  
Old February 12th, 2011, 07:42 PM   #166 (permalink)
Member
 
AndroidKris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 385
 
Device(s): Rooted Galaxy Nexus | Liquid ICS 1.35 Nook Color | ICS cm9 nightly kang
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 64
Thanked 75 Times in 50 Posts
amberoze@gmail.com
Default

Edit: Never mind, question answered elsewhere.
__________________
GNexus | Rooted/Locked | Liquid ICS 1.35
Nook Color | Rooted eMMC | Latest CM9 Nightly
AndroidKris is offline  
Last edited by AndroidKris; February 12th, 2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:31 PM   #167 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Ok, dumb question...

The part that says that if you have not already done so, you must apply 2.2.1 Froyo officially using this guide before you can use this ROM,

Is this step just for people who are running Velocity v0.4 on the 2.1 system? I'm just asking cuz I have a new Ally that I recently rooted, and before I did, I downloaded and installed Froyo 2.2.1 from Verizon. Am I good to install Velocity 1.0? Or do I still have to go through the guide? Let me know. Thanks
Airman1947 is offline  
Old February 13th, 2011, 04:50 PM   #168 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Kennesaw, Georgia
Posts: 416
 
Device(s): LG Ally
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 124
Thanked 46 Times in 36 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman1947 View Post
The part that says that if you have not already done so, you must apply 2.2.1 Froyo officially using this guide before you can use this ROM,

Is this step just for people who are running Velocity v0.4 on the 2.1 system? I'm just asking cuz I have a new Ally that I recently rooted, and before I did, I downloaded and installed Froyo 2.2.1 from Verizon. Am I good to install Velocity 1.0? Or do I still have to go through the guide? Let me know. Thanks

Best to follow the guide from any rom stock velocity raptor punisher.
yohobojo is offline  
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:02 PM   #169 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yohobojo View Post
Best to follow the guide from any rom stock velocity raptor punisher.

Oh it is? I'm confused. Isn't that guide just used to install Froyo 2.2.1? Or is there more to it than that? Cuz I have Froyo.

The only reason I ask is because this isn't my first Ally, and I couldn't get the instructions of that guide to work on my old phone, and after trying like crazy, I eventually bricked my phone. :P Just trying to avoid a repeat. Thanks for the help
Airman1947 is offline  
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #170 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
d0nd0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55
 
Device(s): DROID X2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to d0nd0n Send a message via MSN to d0nd0n Send a message via Yahoo to d0nd0n Send a message via Skype™ to d0nd0n
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman1947 View Post
Oh it is? I'm confused. Isn't that guide just used to install Froyo 2.2.1? Or is there more to it than that? Cuz I have Froyo.

The only reason I ask is because this isn't my first Ally, and I couldn't get the instructions of that guide to work on my old phone, and after trying like crazy, I eventually bricked my phone. :P Just trying to avoid a repeat. Thanks for the help
If you got your Froyo from an over-the-air update from LG/Verizon, then you MUST complete that guide if you want to flash Velocity 1.0
d0nd0n is offline  
sponsored links
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:44 PM   #171 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by d0nd0n View Post
If you got your Froyo from an over-the-air update from LG/Verizon, then you MUST complete that guide if you want to flash Velocity 1.0
Ah ok, thanks for clarifying. Glad I asked. I think I'll just stick with what I got for now. Thanks again
Airman1947 is offline  
Old February 13th, 2011, 05:51 PM   #172 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid, Samsung Fascinate
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Please help :D

Okay, my GF wants to go back to completely stock. How do i do that? Idk how to do this on an ally, i got it rooted and have V0.4 but she wants me to put it back to stock and download 2.2.1 OTA stock.

so basically how do i flash stock recovery and stock image?
collinjm01 is offline  
Old February 13th, 2011, 06:57 PM   #173 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 36
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 7
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinjm01 View Post
Okay, my GF wants to go back to completely stock. How do i do that? Idk how to do this on an ally, i got it rooted and have V0.4 but she wants me to put it back to stock and download 2.2.1 OTA stock.

so basically how do i flash stock recovery and stock image?
This isn't the correct thread for this question. Refer to this guide How-To: Flash Stock LG Rom
bendabood is offline  
Old February 13th, 2011, 08:35 PM   #174 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 21
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 3
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Random question, is it possible to just download all that cool wallpaper that comes with Velocity, without installing Velocity itself? Just wondering. Thanks
Airman1947 is offline  
Old February 14th, 2011, 11:15 PM   #175 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
 
Device(s): LG Ally
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Unlock Screen Bug?

I seem to be having an odd bug.

Roughly half the time when I press the "end" button on the faceplate to bring my phone out of sleep, it opens straight to the last screen I was using. The other half of the time it correctly brings up the unlock screen with the date and time.

Is this something intended with V1.0? Or perhaps is this unique to my phone?

If at all possible I would like to find a way to re-enable the unlock screen 100% of the time, as I use it for a quick glance at the time while working.
darkfalcon09 is offline  
Old February 14th, 2011, 11:33 PM   #176 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
DevinSean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 26
 
Device(s): HTC EVO 3D
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Devin.Delirium
Default

So about how long do you guys think it will be till we see a Velocity update? and will it use the scripts to OTA update? Just wondering...
DevinSean is offline  
Old February 15th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #177 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Zoandroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio - USA
Posts: 1,634
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III , Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet, Wife's Kindle Fire,
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 261
Thanked 193 Times in 167 Posts
Default Froyo doesn't need SD Card EXT Partition?

Now that I have rooted Froyo 2.2.1, and am preparing to flash this Velocity 1.0 ROM I'd like to clarify that it seems Froyo does not use the EXT partition I have on my SD card from its Eclair days, correct? I am making another Nandroid before I do this (second one since the Froyo upgrade) and I guess I don't need to use the Nandroid backup selection options in Amon RA that include EXT anymore?

I am thinking of keeping the EXT partition ( I have a 16GB SD card so plenty of room) as a copy of all the apps I used (with A2SD) under Eclair in case I need them if they disappear off the Market when I need to reinstall one of them (this has happened to me more than once). That won't hurt anything will it? If that's not a good idea, I do have EXT also backed up on my PC a few times over.
__________________
- Zoandroid -


liberum enim electronic fabrica
Zoandroid is offline  
Old February 15th, 2011, 05:38 PM   #178 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KingOfGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 842
 
Device(s): VZW GNEX Retired: LG Ally
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 58
Thanked 179 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandroid View Post
Now that I have rooted Froyo 2.2.1, and am preparing to flash this Velocity 1.0 ROM I'd like to clarify that it seems Froyo does not use the EXT partition I have on my SD card from its Eclair days, correct? I am making another Nandroid before I do this (second one since the Froyo upgrade) and I guess I don't need to use the Nandroid backup selection options in Amon RA that include EXT anymore?

I am thinking of keeping the EXT partition ( I have a 16GB SD card so plenty of room) as a copy of all the apps I used (with A2SD) under Eclair in case I need them if they disappear off the Market when I need to reinstall one of them (this has happened to me more than once). That won't hurt anything will it? If that's not a good idea, I do have EXT also backed up on my PC a few times over.
TitaniumBackup! for keeping copies of apps and such. also great for switching ROMS. i got folders on my pc with old backed up apps. i honeslt dont see any reason to keep the EXT partition with froyo
KingOfGreen is offline  
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:30 AM   #179 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 81
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 23
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

If I am running the Velocity V0.3 how do I run this rom? Sorry for the noob question, just don't wanna lock the phone up.
afastyzfr1 is offline  
Old February 16th, 2011, 10:32 AM   #180 (permalink)
Member
 
chevyrado14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 110
 
Device(s): Verizon Droid Maxx
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 10
Thanked 55 Times in 22 Posts
Default

http://androidforums.com/ally-all-things-root/263285-guide-froyo-2-2-1-root-users.html
chevyrado14 is offline  
sponsored links
Old February 16th, 2011, 11:54 AM   #181 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KingOfGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 842
 
Device(s): VZW GNEX Retired: LG Ally
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 58
Thanked 179 Times in 161 Posts
Default

After using Velocity .3, .4 and 1 I was finally able to make a donation to you guys. Not much but every little helps right? Thanks again.
KingOfGreen is offline  
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #182 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Zoandroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio - USA
Posts: 1,634
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III , Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet, Wife's Kindle Fire,
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 261
Thanked 193 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfGreen View Post
TitaniumBackup! for keeping copies of apps and such. also great for switching ROMS. i got folders on my pc with old backed up apps. i honeslt dont see any reason to keep the EXT partition with froyo
So far the entire "apps to SD" process on Velocity for me has been confusing. I can't figure out how to get Velocity to do it, so I have used both Titanium Backup and Move2SD to move as many apps as I could to the SD.

In addition, I am having trouble figuring out just 'where' they are being put ON the SD. Titanium Backup seems to throw everything into a single folder, which I don't like at all, but I put up with it. Move2SD does not say where it is putting things, and when I used it I got a message saying I had to move the apps manually (one at a time, which sux) using the Applications menu in Settings. However, there doesn't seem to be any folder created for their target on the SD card. I read something somewhere which suggested it 'may' be putting them in the EXT partition. I have yet to verify that, because that is where I had been putting them with A2SD under Eclair.

I did not clear the EXT partition before I updated to Froyo, because everyone seemed to be saying Froyo doesn't use it.

So being pretty much the same apps I used under Eclair, if they are mixed all together who knows which ones just got moved by Move2SD and which were from A2SD?

I still have only 32MB internal free, so I know things could be much better. Now that we have this nifty new ROM, what we need is a nice guide explaining how to do things (such as moving Apps to the SD).
Zoandroid is offline  
Old February 16th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #183 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Shelby Township, MI
Posts: 965
 
Device(s): LG Ally (Retired), HTC Inspire 4g (Current)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 244 Times in 190 Posts
kissarmy10001
Default

2.2 encrypts the apps and places them in the .android_secure folder.
__________________
Visit the LG Ally IRC Channel!
LG Ally IRC Channel
dots is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dots For This Useful Post:
Zoandroid (February 16th, 2011)
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:06 PM   #184 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KingOfGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 842
 
Device(s): VZW GNEX Retired: LG Ally
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 58
Thanked 179 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandroid View Post
So far the entire "apps to SD" process on Velocity for me has been confusing. I can't figure out how to get Velocity to do it, so I have used both Titanium Backup and Move2SD to move as many apps as I could to the SD.

In addition, I am having trouble figuring out just 'where' they are being put ON the SD. Titanium Backup seems to throw everything into a single folder, which I don't like at all, but I put up with it. Move2SD does not say where it is putting things, and when I used it I got a message saying I had to move the apps manually (one at a time, which sux) using the Applications menu in Settings. However, there doesn't seem to be any folder created for their target on the SD card. I read something somewhere which suggested it 'may' be putting them in the EXT partition. I have yet to verify that, because that is where I had been putting them with A2SD under Eclair.

I did not clear the EXT partition before I updated to Froyo, because everyone seemed to be saying Froyo doesn't use it.

So being pretty much the same apps I used under Eclair, if they are mixed all together who knows which ones just got moved by Move2SD and which were from A2SD?

I still have only 32MB internal free, so I know things could be much better. Now that we have this nifty new ROM, what we need is a nice guide explaining how to do things (such as moving Apps to the SD).

Velocity used the froyo (2.2) apps to sd. Standard way to change this is Settings > applications > manage
applications and select an app and choose move to sd

titanium backup places the backups of your apps in a folder, these arent the apps your phone are using, just copies. You can use TIBU to move them to your sd this does the same thing as in settings and to the same .android secure folder.

Even i could only get about 30mb of free space since system apps and those using widgets cant be moved or widgets done work. There are things like darktremors apps to sd which will place them on sdext like before and leave you with 100+mb free. you could use to free up space (there is A LOT of debate on if this is good or not) theres a thread about just this. Personally i used this script to just move dalvik to cache. Freed up about 60mb of data and dont risk excessive use of sd which is where most people have a problem with it. There are other apps like apps2sd that list all moveable apps and you can move them there (same as in settings) just makes it a little easier. Move2sd enabler just takes the apps that havent been approved by thier dev for froyo apps2sd and lets you do it anyway. Hope this cleared things up a bit.
KingOfGreen is offline  
Last edited by KingOfGreen; February 16th, 2011 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Clarify, fix typos
The Following User Says Thank You to KingOfGreen For This Useful Post:
Zoandroid (February 16th, 2011)
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #185 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Zoandroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio - USA
Posts: 1,634
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III , Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet, Wife's Kindle Fire,
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 261
Thanked 193 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfGreen View Post
Settings > applications > manage applications and select an app and choose move to sd, titanium backup places the backups of your apps in a folder, these arent the apps your phone are using, just copies. You can use TIBU to move them to your sd this is the same as in settings and to the same way to the .android secure folder. But with this even i could only get about 30mb of free space since system apps and those using widgets cant be moved or widgets done work. There are things like darktremors apps to sd you could use to free up space (alot of people dont like this) theres a thread about just this. Personally i used this script to just move dalvik to cache. Freed up about 60mb of data and dont risk excessive use of sd which is where most epople have a rpoblem. There are other apps like apps2sd that list all moveable apps and you can move them there (same as in settings) just makes it a little easier.
So they DO go in the .android_secure folder when moved using the applications menu? Because when I use Root Explorer to look at that folder now, it is completely empty. However, on a hunch, I went to the complete SD backup I just did to my Win7 PC and looked in the .android_secure folder there, and I see them listed!! But........ they have a file extension of .asec.

So apparently they are encrypted, and the Root Explorer utility simply can't see them??

Thanks for explaining all this!

Now, to clarify what I posted above, I just managed to get my WinXP rig to boot Ubuntu (always a crap shoot for some stupid reason - sometimes it will, sometimes it won't). From there, I connected the Ally USB cable and found out that the EXT partition which was there before I upgraded to Froyo, and had held all the apps I moved using "A2SD", is now completely empty. I did not intentionally clear it, but it may have happened during the "Clear ALL data" step before flashing Velocity 1? I have several backups of it so no concern here. Apparently I won't need that partition anyway.

As long as I don't run into performance issues, I'll be happy with 30MB free internal memory. But I would like to know how to set the Ally so that any more apps I install will automatically be put on the SD and not internal memory.

I saw that setting in Move2SD that I am using, but I'm not sure it is working correctly, since that is the utility which told me it 'could not move' the apps and that I had to move them individually. Can you shed some light on this?
Zoandroid is offline  
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:24 PM   #186 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Zoandroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio - USA
Posts: 1,634
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III , Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet, Wife's Kindle Fire,
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 261
Thanked 193 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dots View Post
2.2 encrypts the apps and places them in the .android_secure folder.
LOL. Thanks Dots! I read KingofGreen's reply before I saw yours.

I guess the bottom line is that in Froyo no matter what method you choose to move them to the SD card they always end up in the .android_secure folder as encrypted files?
Zoandroid is offline  
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:33 PM   #187 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KingOfGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 842
 
Device(s): VZW GNEX Retired: LG Ally
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 58
Thanked 179 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandroid View Post
So they DO go in the .android_secure folder when moved using the applications menu? Because when I use Root Explorer to look at that folder now, it is completely empty. However, on a hunch, I went to the complete SD backup I just did to my Win7 PC and looked in the .android_secure folder there, and I see them listed!! But........ they have a file extension of .asec.

So apparently they are encrypted, and the Root Explorer utility simply can't see them??

Thanks for explaining all this!

Now, to clarify what I posted above, I just managed to get my WinXP rig to boot Ubuntu (always a crap shoot for some stupid reason - sometimes it will, sometimes it won't). From there, I connected the Ally USB cable and found out that the EXT partition which was there before I upgraded to Froyo, and had held all the apps I moved using "A2SD", is now completely empty. I did not intentionally clear it, but it may have happened during the "Clear ALL data" step before flashing Velocity 1? I have several backups of it so no concern here. Apparently I won't need that partition anyway.

As long as I don't run into performance issues, I'll be happy with 30MB free internal memory. But I would like to know how to set the Ally so that any more apps I install will automatically be put on the SD and not internal memory.

I saw that setting in Move2SD that I am using, but I'm not sure it is working correctly, since that is the utility which told me it 'could not move' the apps and that I had to move them individually. Can you shed some light on this?

Also the velocity master script has a script to do exactly what move2sd does.
Open terminal,
$su
#velocity
and i think its under rom utilities. So you dont even need move2sd. Youre right, you cant see the contents of .androidsecure on your phone but can from pc. Go to TIBU and filter apps by internal storage and from there you can see all that are intenal and move them. Then its just a matter of manage apps as you install them. The app2sd app i used didnt list the apps enabled by move2sd so i did it this way. Id reformat your sd card and get that extra space back!
KingOfGreen is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to KingOfGreen For This Useful Post:
Zoandroid (February 16th, 2011)
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #188 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
dots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Shelby Township, MI
Posts: 965
 
Device(s): LG Ally (Retired), HTC Inspire 4g (Current)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 53
Thanked 244 Times in 190 Posts
kissarmy10001
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandroid View Post
LOL. Thanks Dots! I read KingofGreen's reply before I saw yours.

I guess the bottom line is that in Froyo no matter what method you choose to move them to the SD card they always end up in the .android_secure folder as encrypted files?
Correct thats where 2.2's built in apps2sd places them.
dots is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to dots For This Useful Post:
Zoandroid (February 16th, 2011)
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM   #189 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Zoandroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio - USA
Posts: 1,634
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III , Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet, Wife's Kindle Fire,
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 261
Thanked 193 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfGreen View Post
Also the velocity master script has a script to do exactly what move2sd does.
Open terminal,
$su
#velocity
and i think its under rom utilities. So you dont even need move2sd. Youre right, you cant see the contents of .androidsecure on your phone but can from pc. Go to TIBU and filter apps by internal storage and from there you can see all that are intenal and move them. Then its just a matter of manage apps as you install them. The app2sd app i used didnt list the apps enabled by move2sd so i did it this way. Id reformat your sd card and get that extra space back!
Yea, I should do that, but it is only a 512MB EXT and I use a Class 10 card that is 16GB, so I am not missing that piece just yet.

Thanks for the tip on filtering by internal apps. I had not noticed that yet, so am trying it now. I see it mentions something while filtering them about installing some kind of "App Manager" at the bottom of the TIBU screen. Have you tried that? It says it can help keep track of which apps are internal and which are external.

So it says I have 15 apps I can still try to move. But some of them came with Velocity, like for example DSP Manager (which I have yet to even look at). Is it safe to move every app that TIBU offers to move?

I see Terminal Emulator is also in that list, which brings up another question I eventually needed to ask someone, so not time like the present!

While using TIBU to re-install my backed up apps after flashing Velocity, I inadvertently ended up with duplicate listings of Terminal Emulator and Spare Parts (not even sure what that second one does yet) in the app drawer. What is the best way to fix that so I have only 1 listing for each?
Zoandroid is offline  
Old February 16th, 2011, 03:55 PM   #190 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
KingOfGreen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Chandler, Az
Posts: 842
 
Device(s): VZW GNEX Retired: LG Ally
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 58
Thanked 179 Times in 161 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandroid View Post
Yea, I should do that, but it is only a 512MB EXT and I use a Class 10 card that is 16GB, so I am not missing that piece just yet.

Thanks for the tip on filtering by internal apps. I had not noticed that yet, so am trying it now. I see it mentions something while filtering them about installing some kind of "App Manager" at the bottom of the TIBU screen. Have you tried that? It says it can help keep track of which apps are internal and which are external.

So it says I have 15 apps I can still try to move. But some of them came with Velocity, like for example DSP Manager (which I have yet to even look at). Is it safe to move every app that TIBU offers to move?

I see Terminal Emulator is also in that list, which brings up another question I eventually needed to ask someone, so not time like the present!

While using TIBU to re-install my backed up apps after flashing Velocity, I inadvertently ended up with duplicate listings of Terminal Emulator and Spare Parts (not even sure what that second one does yet) in the app drawer. What is the best way to fix that so I have only 1 listing for each?

I wouldnt move system apps, better safe then sorry. If you KNOW it wouldnt cause any harm go for it. But the apps that arent listed in white came with the rom so you probably dont want to move them. Also anything you need to run without the sd card (like when its mounted to ps) dont move.
That app just lets you create lables. I dont use it but theres no reason not to. Id delete the apps you restored and keep the ones that were part of the rom. Spare parts is just more settings pretty much. Take a look at it, pretty self explanitory.
If you need/want more space look in the all things root forum and in the root guide for the apps saftey list for some you can delete. No point in having things youll never use
KingOfGreen is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to KingOfGreen For This Useful Post:
Zoandroid (February 16th, 2011)
sponsored links
Old February 16th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #191 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Zoandroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio - USA
Posts: 1,634
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III , Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet, Wife's Kindle Fire,
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 261
Thanked 193 Times in 167 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingOfGreen View Post
I wouldnt move system apps, better safe then sorry. If you KNOW it wouldnt cause any harm go for it. But the apps that arent listed in white came with the rom so you probably dont want to move them. Also anything you need to run without the sd card (like when its mounted to ps) dont move.
That app just lets you create lables. I dont use it but theres no reason not to. Id delete the apps you restored and keep the ones that were part of the rom. Spare parts is just more settings pretty much. Take a look at it, pretty self explanitory.
If you need/want more space look in the all things root forum and in the root guide for the apps saftey list for some you can delete. No point in having things youll never use

That's all good advice! I have seen that list you mentioned, but filed it in the back of my mind for re-visiting after the Froyo update. Guess it's time to do that!

I have 10 "user" apps left that TIBU offers to move, but as you say sometimes they are better left internal, like the calendar apps I use (they are already slow enough even running internally!) As they need to sound alarms 24/7 no matter what. I'll try my music player from the SD, as it is a very simple app.

I see the devs did a nice job of decrapifying Velocity as it is, but I can probably do without a few of what is there. Not much into Social Networking, for example (aside from forums like this one, and email).

Thanks for the tips!
Zoandroid is offline  
Old February 16th, 2011, 09:33 PM   #192 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Zoandroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio - USA
Posts: 1,634
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III , Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet, Wife's Kindle Fire,
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 261
Thanked 193 Times in 167 Posts
Default

So I used the Velocity script menus in Terminal to set apps to the SD card. Does that mean any newly installed apps (which can go there) will automatically go to the SD card?
Zoandroid is offline  
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #193 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I'm fairly new to android phones. I upgraded to an ally for free and waited for the official 2.2 update before rooting my device. Can I use the method included in this post to flash velocity 1.0 or would you suggest that I re-root as described in the "guide for root users froyo 2.2".
illezaza is offline  
Old February 17th, 2011, 03:53 AM   #194 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
d0nd0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55
 
Device(s): DROID X2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to d0nd0n Send a message via MSN to d0nd0n Send a message via Yahoo to d0nd0n Send a message via Skype™ to d0nd0n
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by illezaza View Post
I'm fairly new to android phones. I upgraded to an ally for free and waited for the official 2.2 update before rooting my device. Can I use the method included in this post to flash velocity 1.0 or would you suggest that I re-root as described in the "guide for root users froyo 2.2".
You MUST follow the guide in order to flash Velocity 1.0
d0nd0n is offline  
Old February 17th, 2011, 10:39 AM   #195 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
Biotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,367
 
Device(s): Xperia U- Miui 2.10, Razr-Bionx Catalyst b3ta, Spectrum-Bionx Catalyst b3ta, Ally-Bionx 1.2, Kin
Carrier: Straight Talk

Thanks: 308
Thanked 675 Times in 350 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Biotic rgocal09
Default

No you don't. Do research and figure out your own way like I did^

So I seen the nook color got android 3.0 ported with devs over in xda. Since a poor device got the power now. Think the ally will see that power? Or is it already in work?
Biotic is offline  
Old February 17th, 2011, 01:54 PM   #196 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
d0nd0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 55
 
Device(s): DROID X2
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 9
Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Send a message via AIM to d0nd0n Send a message via MSN to d0nd0n Send a message via Yahoo to d0nd0n Send a message via Skype™ to d0nd0n
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgocal View Post
No you don't. Do research and figure out your own way like I did^
So you are telling me that the 3 developers of this ROM are simply lying about having to complete the guide before you can flash Velocity 1.0?
d0nd0n is offline  
Old February 17th, 2011, 02:27 PM   #197 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Nemesiis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Sacra-tomato, CA
Posts: 52
 
Device(s): HTC Amaze
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 145
Thanked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Exclamation

[QUOTE=rgocal;2294096]No you don't. Do research and figure out your own way like I did^

Post guide or it didn't happen.
Nemesiis is offline  
Old February 17th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #198 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I apologize folks. I found the answer to my question in another thread. Had i spent a few more minutes browsing, I would have noticed that my specific question has been asked over and over. lol. Thank you all for your help.
take it easy.
illezaza is offline  
Old February 18th, 2011, 07:39 AM   #199 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
Biotic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,367
 
Device(s): Xperia U- Miui 2.10, Razr-Bionx Catalyst b3ta, Spectrum-Bionx Catalyst b3ta, Ally-Bionx 1.2, Kin
Carrier: Straight Talk

Thanks: 308
Thanked 675 Times in 350 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to Biotic rgocal09
Default

Or it didn't happen...
Hmmm. Use the sdk. Use the guide provided. Use the lg updater to get 2.2 than flash over velocity.
All of the above work
There is no perfect way. just people are over thinking it. Ik what I did and gf watched me but people want proof. I can't go in the past sorry
Biotic is offline  
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:02 PM   #200 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Zoandroid's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Ohio - USA
Posts: 1,634
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy S III , Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet, Wife's Kindle Fire,
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Thanks: 261
Thanked 193 Times in 167 Posts
Default Does Bluetooth work in Velocity 1?

Has anyone got Bluetooth to work while using Velocity 1? I can get 2 devices (both are Windows Mobile) paired, but I can't connect to either of them.
Zoandroid is offline  
Closed Thread


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Development > Developer Forums > Velocity
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:48 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.