Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > (Verizon) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By KuroTsubasa

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
KuroTsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 77
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default Navigation Button Lag

I've recently flashed a few custom roms on my new Galaxy Nexus and experienced some button issues.

On both AOKP and LiquidSmooth, I've had an issue where the Navigation Bar (buttons at the bottom of the screen) lag or freeze. Sometimes this is brief and hardly an issue, other times the buttons stay frozen for several minutes. The rest of the phone, and any apps continue to work fine (minus the ability to go back/home).

This never happened at all while running the stock rom, but both of these custom roms experienced this issue. I've done some searching but I can't find anything similar to it.

Has anyone else had this issue or have any suggestions on how to fix it (besides an obvious workaround like Button Savior, etc)?

Edit: It by using the developer tools, it seems that the bottom portion of my touchscreen periodically fails. Going to have to request a replacement.

*Edit2: Reflashed a nandroid of the stock rom and utilizing the developer tools shows everything is fine. I can draw lines all over the nav buttons whereas on the custom rom it cuts out so much that I can hardly draw *a* line over that area.

Guess I'm back to my original question, has anyone had this happen before? Should I still consider getting this phone replaced? I have no idea why the touchscreen would function properly under one rom (stock) and not others.

Advertisements
KuroTsubasa is offline  
Last edited by KuroTsubasa; May 14th, 2012 at 10:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old May 15th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jbdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: atl ga usa
Posts: 7,121
 
Device(s): SGS3 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8,662
Thanked 4,166 Times in 2,830 Posts
Default

I've actually never heard of this specific issue.

When you are flashing LS or AOKP, are you doing a full wipe in clockworkmod recovery (cwm)? Or are you doing everything through ROM Manager (RM)? If you are doing it through RM, try manually wiping in CWM. Do a full wipe: wipe data, wipe cache partition, wipe dalvik (in advanced), format system (in mounts and storage).
__________________
All the Thanks!, go to Him <))><
jbdan is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbdan For This Useful Post:
colchiro (May 19th, 2012)
Old May 15th, 2012, 08:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
KuroTsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 77
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdan View Post
I've actually never heard of this specific issue.
That's why I'm a little worried that it could be the phone. The first rom I flashed (AOKP) I wiped data, cache, and dalvik cache out of habit from my last phone (LG Ally). When I flashed LiquidSmooth I only did a data wipe since I noticed my recovery was wiping the cache as well during the operation.

I didn't bother wiping dalvik cache this time, but it didn't seem to have caused any issues (boot loops, app crashes, etc). I've never *manually* wiped /system, since presumably it does so automatically when flashing an update zip for a new rom. I might try doing a full wipe of everything sometime. Too busy today though, but thanks for the suggestion.

After flashing back to a nandroid of stock last night for testing, I returned to the nandroid backup of LiquidSmooth and haven't played with it enough to tell if the issue is still there or not.

It hasn't happened yet, but I know the moment I say this it's going to act up again. I've got another few test ideas for when it does happen to check if it's the touchscreen or just a software issue. I've also got to convince my girlfriend to let me throw a custom rom onto her Galaxy Nexus and see if she has any similar issues.

Edit: Still happens, and when it does it seems that that section of the screen is dead no matter whether the nav buttons are under it or not. I rotated the screen while it was happening and that edge still had the same non-responsive issue.

Still odd that it never happened while on the stock rom. Guess I should go play with stock more.

Edit2: Still unable to reproduce the issue in the stock rom. I have however noticed that both AOKP and LiquidSmooth run Franco Kernel. Going to try flashing a different kernel underneath and see if that has any effect on the matter.

Edit3: No effect. Still have the issue.
KuroTsubasa is offline  
Last edited by KuroTsubasa; May 15th, 2012 at 09:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KuroTsubasa For This Useful Post:
jbdan (May 15th, 2012), kool kat2 (May 16th, 2012)
Old May 15th, 2012, 10:30 AM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jbdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: atl ga usa
Posts: 7,121
 
Device(s): SGS3 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8,662
Thanked 4,166 Times in 2,830 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroTsubasa View Post
That's why I'm a little worried that it could be the phone. The first rom I flashed (AOKP) I wiped data, cache, and dalvik cache out of habit from my last phone (LG Ally). When I flashed LiquidSmooth I only did a data wipe since I noticed my recovery was wiping the cache as well during the operation.

I didn't bother wiping dalvik cache this time, but it didn't seem to have caused any issues (boot loops, app crashes, etc). I've never *manually* wiped /system, since presumably it does so automatically when flashing an update zip for a new rom. I might try doing a full wipe of everything sometime. Too busy today though, but thanks for the suggestion.

After flashing back to a nandroid of stock last night for testing, I returned to the nandroid backup of LiquidSmooth and haven't played with it enough to tell if the issue is still there or not.

It hasn't happened yet, but I know the moment I say this it's going to act up again. I've got another few test ideas for when it does happen to check if it's the touchscreen or just a software issue. I've also got to convince my girlfriend to let me throw a custom rom onto her Galaxy Nexus and see if she has any similar issues.

Edit: Still happens, and when it does it seems that that section of the screen is dead no matter whether the nav buttons are under it or not. I rotated the screen while it was happening and that edge still had the same non-responsive issue.

Still odd that it never happened while on the stock rom. Guess I should go play with stock more.

Edit2: Still unable to reproduce the issue in the stock rom. I have however noticed that both AOKP and LiquidSmooth run Franco Kernel. Going to try flashing a different kernel underneath and see if that has any effect on the matter.

Edit3: No effect. Still have the issue.
The newest LS has franco, but aokp uses faux kernel. Maybe you're on to something why don't you try the stock kernel with either LS or AOKP. You can get it here --->

That is the 4.0.4 kernel if you've been flashing the latest AOKP and LS based on 4.0.4
jbdan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
KuroTsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 77
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I must have been reading outdated info about AOKP being Franco Kernel (it was an article about an older version, and may have been talking about manually putting them together).

I've tried several kernels, including the stock one you provided, but none made a difference. I tried another rom, Apex, but it still had this issue. It did seem to happen a little less, but that could just be a coincidence.

Even on the stock rom I have a small, ~1mm, deadzone on the bottom of the screen. On the stock rom however it stays this size and doesn't effect anything. On any other rom I've tried the deadzone periodically stretches to about 1mm over the top of the nav buttons.

If you try to swipe back and forth over the nav area, it cuts in and out, generating a lot of "touch" events. Other times it cuts out completely and after you cross over the threshold it's like you're not touching the screen. Completely unresponsive, etc.

Anyway, that's all I've got for now. Thanks for the help, let me know if you've got any other suggestions. In the meantime I'm seriously considering sending it back. I've only had the phone for about a week and a half though, so I've still got some time to decide.
KuroTsubasa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 04:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
kool kat2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Carson, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,018
 
Device(s): HTC One M8
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 217
Thanked 140 Times in 116 Posts
Default

flashing franco kernel fixed this for me. i thought i had a defective phone. i was on aokp b35 and the problems disappeared after i flashed the kernel. exact problems you were describing.
kool kat2 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 09:20 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
KuroTsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 77
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool kat2 View Post
flashing franco kernel fixed this for me. i thought i had a defective phone. i was on aokp b35 and the problems disappeared after i flashed the kernel. exact problems you were describing.
No luck. I tried b36 with the Franco Kernel and still had the same issues. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Tried the same setup on my girlfriend's Galaxy Nexus and as expected, it worked fine. Going to be sending my back at some point to get a replacement. =(
KuroTsubasa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2012, 01:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Member
 
NSutherl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 364
 
Device(s): Samsung GNex (LTE)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 360
Thanked 150 Times in 111 Posts
Default

My "Recent Apps" navigation button has lagged since day 1, pre unlocking/rooting. I hoped new ROM's and/or Kernels would fix it, but alas, none have worked. My lag seems much less severe than Kuro's, but it's enough to bug me...
__________________
Samsung GNex (CDMA/LTE) Rooted
mmuzzy 4.2.2 JDQ39
FK01/FK02 Radios
NSutherl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2012, 09:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
KuroTsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 77
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSutherl View Post
My "Recent Apps" navigation button has lagged since day 1, pre unlocking/rooting. I hoped new ROM's and/or Kernels would fix it, but alas, none have worked. My lag seems much less severe than Kuro's, but it's enough to bug me...
If it's only your Recent Apps button that has issues, try modifying the button layout in your custom rom. Most have an area in their settings app where you can customize aspects of the rom (beyond what you can do in the stock rom).

You could increase the number of buttons on the bar, pushing the recent apps button further left. If you do this you could probably set the new buttons to have no action and a blank image for an icon. Or, you could set the "long press" action of the home button to bring up recent apps (like in android <4.0).

This is all assuming of course that you've already gone past the return/exchange period for your phone and can't get it replaced. Also, if you had an insurance plan (like some phone stores try to push) on it they might cover that too.
KuroTsubasa is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KuroTsubasa For This Useful Post:
NSutherl (May 20th, 2012)
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:27 PM   #10 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jbdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: atl ga usa
Posts: 7,121
 
Device(s): SGS3 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8,662
Thanked 4,166 Times in 2,830 Posts
Default

Did you get this solved kuro?

@ NSutherl if you have a lot of recent apps going on (pretty normal) the recents button will lag with every ROM I've ever tried. Swipe away all but 2-3 apps then try it again. Should be fairly instant. I know....it shouldn't be like this.
jbdan is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jbdan For This Useful Post:
NSutherl (May 23rd, 2012)
sponsored links
Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:26 PM   #11 (permalink)
Member
 
NSutherl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 364
 
Device(s): Samsung GNex (LTE)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 360
Thanked 150 Times in 111 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdan View Post
@ NSutherl if you have a lot of recent apps going on (pretty normal) the recents button will lag with every ROM I've ever tried. Swipe away all but 2-3 apps then try it again. Should be fairly instant. I know....it shouldn't be like this.
It definitely helps. It lags ever-so-slightly after I swipe away all but one app, better than the ~1 second lag when there were many apps open.

I got rid of the recent button and just made a long press on home bring up recents (like Sense). The lag issue is the same as when I had the actual recent button. It was worth a try though, and I actually like it better like this because now I can have a search soft key
NSutherl is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NSutherl For This Useful Post:
jbdan (May 23rd, 2012)
Old May 25th, 2012, 11:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
KuroTsubasa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 77
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdan View Post
Did you get this solved kuro?
No, I've got to call up Amazon sometime and have a conference call with Verizon so I can prove to them that I know what I'm talking about more-so than them. ;P

I have however done testing on the stock rom that proves it's a hardware issue. Using an app called Z-DeviceTest, I did a pressure sensitivity test on both my custom rom and on stock. The bottom half of my screen is about *half* as sensitive as the top half. Near the bottom, where the nav buttons are it drops down to even less.

I've come to assume that the reason why it works on the stock rom must be a difference in sensitivity settings.

Anyway, I'll convince them to give me a new phone sometime later this week. Haven't had any time to call them when my girlfriend's phone was around (since if I call them on mine I *know* they'll ask me to restart it at some point).
jbdan likes this.
KuroTsubasa is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2012, 12:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
jbdan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: atl ga usa
Posts: 7,121
 
Device(s): SGS3 LTE
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 8,662
Thanked 4,166 Times in 2,830 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KuroTsubasa View Post
No, I've got to call up Amazon sometime and have a conference call with Verizon so I can prove to them that I know what I'm talking about more-so than them. ;P

I have however done testing on the stock rom that proves it's a hardware issue. Using an app called Z-DeviceTest, I did a pressure sensitivity test on both my custom rom and on stock. The bottom half of my screen is about *half* as sensitive as the top half. Near the bottom, where the nav buttons are it drops down to even less.

I've come to assume that the reason why it works on the stock rom must be a difference in sensitivity settings.

Anyway, I'll convince them to give me a new phone sometime later this week. Haven't had any time to call them when my girlfriend's phone was around (since if I call them on mine I *know* they'll ask me to restart it at some point).
lol

Well gl! Post us when you get the new GN I'm curious to see
jbdan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply
Tags
button, custom, freeze, galaxy, navigation, nexus, rom


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > (Verizon) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:55 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.