Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > (Verizon) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root

New Forums: Nexus Player | Nexus 9
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Idunno
  • 1 Post By viper689

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:26 PM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Official Stable Jelly Bean...

Hello Everyone,

I have been following this forum for the past month and until today the official release of Jelly Bean hasn't been released. I was told in a couple of weeks and it has been a month since first week of July.

I would like the official AOKP or official Cyanogenmod 10 along with Jelly Bean; However, the official stable ones are not released yet. Does anyone know when exactly?

I just dislike re-flashing my phone back and forth because I create my phone's layout and place the apps at the right section of my home screen and if I were to re-do that, it would take up a lot of my time.

Overall, I have kept the Jelly Bean excitement in me for a month now.

Advertisements
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:30 PM   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 852
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 75
Thanked 219 Times in 181 Posts
Default

If you're waiting for the official Verizon release of JellyBean, then you're going to be waiting till (in my opinion) December at the earliest. The only way to tell if a custom rom is stable is to test it out and be sure to make backups so if something doesn't work, then you can flash back and have everything as it was
__________________
Currently running:
VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2 w/ LeanKernel 6.1.1
Google Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2
viper689 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to viper689 For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012), joshua.worth (August 6th, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:35 PM   #3 (permalink)
AF Addict
 
AntimonyER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Statesboro, GA
Posts: 13,642
 
Device(s): Droid DNA, Nexus 7 16GB
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 5,041
Thanked 9,353 Times in 5,034 Posts
Default

The Jelly Belly ROM is what I am using and is fantastic, very stable with a clean install. Bugless Beast and Liquid Smooth are also supposed to be good...
__________________
Site Rules & Guidelines
Got some help? Hit Thanks!
See something you like? Hit Like!
See something you hate? Hit Report!
AntimonyER is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AntimonyER For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012), joshua.worth (August 6th, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:49 PM   #4 (permalink)
Reformed PH
 
Steven58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 32,921
 
Device(s): Gnex AOKP Nightlies (KitKat)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8,948
Thanked 26,702 Times in 7,003 Posts
Default

If you use nova launcher, you can backup your desktop settings. Just do that and restore applications from titanium backup and you're set. Restoring a set up, for me, is very easy and quick no matter what ROM I go to.
Steven58 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven58 For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
quickaudi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: TN
Posts: 2,961
 
Device(s): VZW G'Note2 VZW SGS3 VZW Galaxy Nexus Droid X
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 100
Thanked 348 Times in 288 Posts
Send a message via AIM to quickaudi
Default

2nd on nova launcher.
quickaudi is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to quickaudi For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 216
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

3rd? I love that feature of Nova Launcher. I think Apex has it as well, but since I don't use it, I can't confirm. The two ROMs I've tried (Bugless Beast and XenonHD) have been super stable for me.
mhtrang is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhtrang For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western PA
Posts: 472
 
Device(s): GNex - LTE ........ Moto Xoom ........................ Droid Incredible ............... *no apples*
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 71
Thanked 56 Times in 51 Posts
Default

How do I backup nova launcher? When I click on the app in the app tray nothing happens. How do I get to the settings?
veccster is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to veccster For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Trooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 3,711
 
Device(s): Moto X
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 1,742
Thanked 675 Times in 462 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by veccster View Post
How do I backup nova launcher? When I click on the app in the app tray nothing happens. How do I get to the settings?
An easy way to get to the settings is to just double tap on any screen. Voila! Nova Launcher Settings appear.
Trooper is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trooper For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012), jbdan (August 2nd, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Awesome. I never knew that you can restore and save desktop settings using nova launcher.

So when will the first stable build of aokp/cyanogenmod 10 for Jelly Bean be released?
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:55 PM   #10 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western PA
Posts: 472
 
Device(s): GNex - LTE ........ Moto Xoom ........................ Droid Incredible ............... *no apples*
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 71
Thanked 56 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
An easy way to get to the settings is to just double tap on any screen. Voila! Nova Launcher Settings appear.
Not working for me. tap tap tap and nothing...
veccster is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to veccster For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
darkcyber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Alabama
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,572
 
Device(s): Samsung Note 3
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 800
Thanked 151 Times in 110 Posts
Default

Yes, Apex Launcher now has that feature. I am using the Apex Launcher that is built into XenonHD and it does that the backup and restore feature. But I have to say I love Nova Launcher just for the backup and restore feature.
darkcyber is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to darkcyber For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:19 PM   #12 (permalink)
Member
 
Idunno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: SoCal
Posts: 352
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Motorola Droid X (retired) - LG Ally (retired)
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 94
Thanked 88 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorEyeSight View Post
Awesome. I never knew that you can restore and save desktop settings using nova launcher.

So when will the first stable build of aokp/cyanogenmod 10 for Jelly Bean be released?
Yea I was elated the day I found out I could backup my homescreens with nova. Also, not to be rude but you probably shouldn't ask when new releases of ROMs are coming out... its just been my experience that this upsets the developers and hurts more than it helps. I too am anxious for a stable 4.1 AOKP / CM just as much as the next guy, but we have to realize the devs are doing this in their spare time and are not getting/expecting reasonable compensation for their efforts... its all for fun, so when it happens it happens.
Outatime and veccster like this.
__________________
Samsung Galaxy Nexus || 4.2.2 || AOKP || 'nuff said
*****************
Know your role and shut your mouth.
Idunno is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Idunno For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012), Outatime (August 3rd, 2012)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 216
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus, HTC Incredible
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 25
Thanked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Default

The double tap might be a gesture for Nova Launcher Prime. Hold the homescreen, tap on the wrench, and then click on backup.
mhtrang is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mhtrang For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 852
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 75
Thanked 219 Times in 181 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorEyeSight View Post
So when will the first stable build of aokp/cyanogenmod 10 for Jelly Bean be released?
Patience is a virtue. The best way to ensure ROMs come quicker is to flash the nightly and/or beta releases of these ROMs, and report back to the devs any issues that you've found so that they can fix those. Also donations help =). Appreciate what's out there for us right now.
veccster likes this.
viper689 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to viper689 For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 08:18 AM   #15 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Western PA
Posts: 472
 
Device(s): GNex - LTE ........ Moto Xoom ........................ Droid Incredible ............... *no apples*
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 71
Thanked 56 Times in 51 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhtrang View Post
The double tap might be a gesture for Nova Launcher Prime. Hold the homescreen, tap on the wrench, and then click on backup.
I'm on AOKP and have it set that holding the home key does nothing.

Anyway, I just stumbled on how to reach the NOVA settings menu. In the app drawer, there is a settings button (3 dots) in the top right corner. It opens a drop down with Nova Settings as an option.

I just backed it up to the SD card and will now move that backup to my PC. I hate losing settings like that. Thanks NOVA!



Oh, and I agree about pestering Dev's about the release date. Fact is, I'm not really sure why they even create these complicated custom roms and such. What's in it for them? How do they profit from their hard work? It's great to be in the Android history books but that doesn't pay bills...does it?
veccster is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to veccster For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:24 AM   #16 (permalink)
Reformed PH
 
Steven58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 32,921
 
Device(s): Gnex AOKP Nightlies (KitKat)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8,948
Thanked 26,702 Times in 7,003 Posts
Default

backup for nova is available under "nova settings" then backup. Then you have the option to either restore or backup. Enjoy!
Steven58 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven58 For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:27 PM   #17 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Which ones are the most stable, no complaints? Codename? I like aokp but in the thread I see users reporting bugs/complaints about the test build ones. I need one for daily use. Currently I am on aokp b40 ICS and I love aokp.
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 03:49 PM   #18 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 852
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 75
Thanked 219 Times in 181 Posts
Default

Bugless Beast was super stable for me but if you want a lot of customization you'll have to look elsewhere. It depends what you want out of the ROM.
viper689 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to viper689 For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 04:12 PM   #19 (permalink)
Reformed PH
 
Steven58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 32,921
 
Device(s): Gnex AOKP Nightlies (KitKat)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 8,948
Thanked 26,702 Times in 7,003 Posts
Default

codename
Steven58 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steven58 For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:00 PM   #20 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Outatime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,435
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx, Moto 360
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 867
Thanked 461 Times in 321 Posts
Default

I've used Jelly Bean, Liquid Smooth and XenonHD. Xenon and Jelly Bean would be two I would seriously recommend, Xenon in particular for its speed and just being an overall solid build that just works. While Liquid is great and will continue to improve I'm sure, I had some minor issues with reboots and for some reason the camera wouldn't work in panorama mode and I was getting FC.
__________________
Want to join Android Forums for free? Join here!
Outatime is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outatime For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
sponsored links
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:21 PM   #21 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven58 View Post
codename
Have you tried most of the roms out for Jelly Bean and compared it to codename?
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:23 PM   #22 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime View Post
I've used Jelly Bean, Liquid Smooth and XenonHD. Xenon and Jelly Bean would be two I would seriously recommend, Xenon in particular for its speed and just being an overall solid build that just works. While Liquid is great and will continue to improve I'm sure, I had some minor issues with reboots and for some reason the camera wouldn't work in panorama mode and I was getting FC.
Is Xenon stable and official as of today? I see that codename is.
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 09:36 PM   #23 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 852
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 75
Thanked 219 Times in 181 Posts
Default

Xenon is stable. I flashed from LiquidSmooth to Xenon 5.0 today and loving it so far
viper689 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to viper689 For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Outatime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,435
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx, Moto 360
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 867
Thanked 461 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorEyeSight View Post
Is Xenon stable and official as of today? I see that codename is.
The only "official" you will see is when VZW sends it to your phone.
Outatime is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outatime For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:19 PM   #25 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime View Post
The only "official" you will see is when VZW sends it to your phone.
But aren't usually the ones from the developers better than the stock one?
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2012, 10:23 PM   #26 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Outatime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,435
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx, Moto 360
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 867
Thanked 461 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorEyeSight View Post
But aren't usually the ones from the developers better than the stock one?
In my experience, yes that's true. Which is why I recommended XenonHD and Jelly Belly. I'm not sure what you're looking for with your reference to an "official' Jelly Bean. Do a nandroid. Try Xenon. See if you like it. If you don't, flash back.
Outatime is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outatime For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:25 AM   #27 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 852
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 75
Thanked 219 Times in 181 Posts
Default

What are you looking for in a rom?
viper689 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to viper689 For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:31 AM   #28 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper689 View Post
What are you looking for in a rom?
I am looking for minimal amount of bugs/glitches, better battery power, better signal strength/4g LTE strength, less lag and a stable Google Now.
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:18 AM   #29 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 852
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 75
Thanked 219 Times in 181 Posts
Default

I'd strongly suggest Bugless Beast then. It's a very slim ROM because it doesn't have the customizations of say AOKP or Liquid, so it's very quick and conserves energy pretty nicely. It was amazing when I ran it but I missed the customizations so I had switched to BAMF then Liquid and now XenonHD
viper689 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to viper689 For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 4th, 2012, 02:20 PM   #30 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

How long will the process take guys? I am on ICS 4.0.4 AOKP B40 along with lean kernel.

Also, can I please get the links to code name, the gapps and the kernel that runs great along with codename? Thinking about trying codename first since I haven't heard of much bugs/complaints about it in it's thread.

Thanks in advance.
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Last edited by DoctorEyeSight; August 4th, 2012 at 02:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:14 PM   #31 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Outatime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,435
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx, Moto 360
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 867
Thanked 461 Times in 321 Posts
Default

Roughly the same amount of time it took you to flash AOKP. It's the exact same process.

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/593866-rom-codename-android-jb.html
Outatime is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outatime For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 4th, 2012, 03:46 PM   #32 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime View Post
Roughly the same amount of time it took you to flash AOKP. It's the exact same process.

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/593866-rom-codename-android-jb.html
I just updated CWM Recovery to 6.0.1.0

Am I set to go? I should back up using titanium backup and the desktop settings via nova launcher. Then backup in the recovery mode?
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 04:38 PM   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 852
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 75
Thanked 219 Times in 181 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorEyeSight View Post
I just updated CWM Recovery to 6.0.1.0

Am I set to go? I should back up using titanium backup and the desktop settings via nova launcher. Then backup in the recovery mode?
Sounds about right
viper689 is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to viper689 For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 4th, 2012, 07:16 PM   #34 (permalink)
AF Contributor
 
Outatime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,435
 
Device(s): Motorola Droid Maxx, Moto 360
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 867
Thanked 461 Times in 321 Posts
Default

How's it going doc? Did you get it installed?
Outatime is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outatime For This Useful Post:
DoctorEyeSight (August 5th, 2012)
Old August 4th, 2012, 11:21 PM   #35 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime View Post
How's it going doc? Did you get it installed?
Hi,

I did the following:

Went into Clock Work Mod Recovery, and did a nandroid of my previous AOKP B40 ICS ROM.

Wiped Data/Cache/Dalvik/Battery Stats and went into Mounts and Storage and selected format system and selected "Yes" to format the system.

Then flashed the Codename Jelly Bean ROM (Codename-Android - 3.0.0-GN-VZN) followed by it's GApps (CNA - JB-GAPPS-20120726-signed.zip).

Rebooted phone, took about 1.5 minutes to reboot and went through activation.

Now playing around with it, especially Google Now!

Current Issues: (1) Why didn't Youtube/Google Play Music/Google Chrome and other Google Applications get installed automatically? A few applications got installed. I hope I used and installed the right GApps file. I need to install fresh my applications now from Play Store.

(2) I normally use Hotmail Application and when opening my e-mails, it does not show the attachment that comes along with the e-mail. I downloaded Adobe Reader and Documents To Go (.doc reader) and didn't resolve the issue.

(3) When logging in using the e-mail application, the screen stays on "Waiting for sync. Your email will appear soon." Waited for a while and the emails didn't appear.

(4) My Verizon Mobile does not work. States that a Client Login needs to be downloaded. I need this to work so that I can manage my talk/data limits.
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Last edited by DoctorEyeSight; August 5th, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 11:56 PM   #36 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Hey Guys,

I believe only the Codename ROM and its Gapps is in the website: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/31446-rom411aosp-codename-android-300-jb07312012/

I need the kernel that works with this ROM. Can anyone provide me the link please? I would like to flash it all at once.
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2012, 11:58 PM   #37 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven58 View Post
codename
Hey Steven,

(1) Which Kernel works best along with Codename Jelly Bean?

(2) Does it matter if you install the ROM along with the GApps first and test it out for 24 hours and then install the Kernel a day later? Like, that wouldn't cause stability issues or corruption? Or, is it best to always install the ROM/GApps/Kernel at one shot?
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Last edited by DoctorEyeSight; August 5th, 2012 at 01:11 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 02:25 PM   #38 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 852
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 75
Thanked 219 Times in 181 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorEyeSight View Post
Hey Steven,

(1) Which Kernel works best along with Codename Jelly Bean?

(2) Does it matter if you install the ROM along with the GApps first and test it out for 24 hours and then install the Kernel a day later? Like, that wouldn't cause stability issues or corruption? Or, is it best to always install the ROM/GApps/Kernel at one shot?
1) Kernels typically vary from everyone's phone. It's best to keep a stock Codename nandroid and try out different kernels for a couple days each to gauge their performance on your phone. But after doing some simple reading in the Codename thread, it seems like LeanKernel is used the most.

2) You can install a kernel whenever you want. I typically like to try the stock kernel for a couple days (because I'm of the belief that kernels need to be broken in for a couple days) before flashing a new kernel. Whenever flashing a new one, I'll try that for 2-3 days before flashing a new one if I need one.
viper689 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #39 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper689 View Post
1) Kernels typically vary from everyone's phone. It's best to keep a stock Codename nandroid and try out different kernels for a couple days each to gauge their performance on your phone. But after doing some simple reading in the Codename thread, it seems like LeanKernel is used the most.

2) You can install a kernel whenever you want. I typically like to try the stock kernel for a couple days (because I'm of the belief that kernels need to be broken in for a couple days) before flashing a new kernel. Whenever flashing a new one, I'll try that for 2-3 days before flashing a new one if I need one.
Hi,

Great. Thanks for your input. I will try it out for a couple of days and take your advice.

Do you know how to solve the issues I have mentioned above?
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2012, 04:58 PM   #40 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 852
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 75
Thanked 219 Times in 181 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorEyeSight View Post
Hi,

Great. Thanks for your input. I will try it out for a couple of days and take your advice.

Do you know how to solve the issues I have mentioned above?
Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to answer any of those since it may be ROM-specific (and I've never ran Codename), but I'm sure if you ask the questions in the Codename thread, then its users would be able to answer them more adequately than what I'd be able to do
viper689 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:48 PM   #41 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper689 View Post
Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to answer any of those since it may be ROM-specific (and I've never ran Codename), but I'm sure if you ask the questions in the Codename thread, then its users would be able to answer them more adequately than what I'd be able to do
Hi,

No worries, just posted on the Codename thread. Thanks for your reply.
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #42 (permalink)
Member
 
joshua.worth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver, Colorado
Gender: Male
Posts: 266
 
Device(s): Nexus 4
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks: 144
Thanked 63 Times in 40 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to joshua.worth 81worth
Default

Highly recommend Jelly Belly
joshua.worth is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 04:17 PM   #43 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 476
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus (toro) CM10
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 98
Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorEyeSight View Post
Current Issues: (1) Why didn't Youtube/Google Play Music/Google Chrome and other Google Applications get installed automatically? A few applications got installed. I hope I used and installed the right GApps file. I need to install fresh my applications now from Play Store.

(2) I normally use Hotmail Application and when opening my e-mails, it does not show the attachment that comes along with the e-mail. I downloaded Adobe Reader and Documents To Go (.doc reader) and didn't resolve the issue.

(3) When logging in using the e-mail application, the screen stays on "Waiting for sync. Your email will appear soon." Waited for a while and the emails didn't appear.

(4) My Verizon Mobile does not work. States that a Client Login needs to be downloaded. I need this to work so that I can manage my talk/data limits.
If you're still looking for Cyanogenmod 10 I'd recommend this page: How to upgrade Verizon Galaxy Nexus I515 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean

There's an "unofficial preview" build out but as far as I can tell it is fully functional, fast, smooth, and I can't find any bugs yet.

As far as those issues, the GAPPS linked on the page I mentioned had most of that stuff I think. I only had to re-download a few. The only problem I DO have is the My Verizon not working. I had to google for the Login Client apk but even after I installed it, the app just crashes.

EDIT: I had to mention that this "unofficial/preview" is more stable than the stable Cyanogenmod ROMs I was running on my Nexus One. I always had a bug or two with the "official" builds of Cyanogenmod but this preview build is mysteriously problem-free.
AnotherFatalEpic is offline  
Last edited by AnotherFatalEpic; August 6th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #44 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherFatalEpic View Post
If you're still looking for Cyanogenmod 10 I'd recommend this page: How to upgrade Verizon Galaxy Nexus I515 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean

There's an "unofficial preview" build out but as far as I can tell it is fully functional, fast, smooth, and I can't find any bugs yet.

As far as those issues, the GAPPS linked on the page I mentioned had most of that stuff I think. I only had to re-download a few. The only problem I DO have is the My Verizon not working. I had to google for the Login Client apk but even after I installed it, the app just crashes.

EDIT: I had to mention that this "unofficial/preview" is more stable than the stable Cyanogenmod ROMs I was running on my Nexus One. I always had a bug or two with the "official" builds of Cyanogenmod but this preview build is mysteriously problem-free.
Hi,

(2) I figured that my Hotmail attachments were not opening because the Hotmail app (Check play store) is not supported with Jelly Bean. But why would it open emails and allow me to read and reply yet not view attachments?

(3) Why is main email app still showing me the same issue?
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #45 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 299
 
Device(s): Galaxy Nexus
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 169
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshua.worth View Post
Highly recommend Jelly Belly
Hi,

I might try. What issues has it given you so far?
DoctorEyeSight is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 08:20 PM   #46 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
PhilosoRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft. Knox, KY
Posts: 721
 
Device(s): One M8 (S-Off/rooted)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 109 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper689 View Post
If you're waiting for the official Verizon release of JellyBean, then you're going to be waiting till (in my opinion) December at the earliest.
Lolwut?! You think it's going to take them 5 months to release JB to the VZW Nexus? Based off of what information. The Verizon Nexus got the 4.0.4 update only one month after the GSM Nexus.

I'll admit that Verizon throws a wrench into the update releases, but it's not that bad. I'll bet JB on the Verizon Nexus will be here in the next month or two at the latest.

Anyways, to answer OPs question; I would go with Pete's Bugless Beast if he wants the most stock/stable build of JB available for the Verizon Nexus. It's as stock as you can get and (knowing Pete) just as stable than stock JB on the GSM Nexus.
PhilosoRaptor is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2012, 09:17 PM   #47 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Irvine, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 852
 
Device(s): VZW Samsung Galaxy Nexus running Nexus Evolution v4.1.1 4.2.2, Nexus 7 running Nexus Evolution v4
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 75
Thanked 219 Times in 181 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilosoRaptor View Post
Lolwut?! You think it's going to take them 5 months to release JB to the VZW Nexus? Based off of what information. The Verizon Nexus got the 4.0.4 update only one month after the GSM Nexus.

I'll admit that Verizon throws a wrench into the update releases, but it's not that bad. I'll bet JB on the Verizon Nexus will be here in the next month or two at the latest.

Anyways, to answer OPs question; I would go with Pete's Bugless Beast if he wants the most stock/stable build of JB available for the Verizon Nexus. It's as stock as you can get and (knowing Pete) just as stable than stock JB on the GSM Nexus.
True but that was just a small incremental update. We're talking about a milestone release here and besides, it took about 6 months to get that incremental update. I highly doubt Verizon will allow a phone that they're constantly dropping the price of to obtain such a big update. Especially if their other phones are still in the process of just now getting ICS

I'll agree and suggest Bugless Beast as well, however :-)
viper689 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old August 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM   #48 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
PhilosoRaptor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ft. Knox, KY
Posts: 721
 
Device(s): One M8 (S-Off/rooted)
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 84
Thanked 109 Times in 91 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper689 View Post
True but that was just a small incremental update. We're talking about a milestone release here and besides, it took about 6 months to get that incremental update. I highly doubt Verizon will allow a phone that they're constantly dropping the price of to obtain such a big update. Especially if their other phones are still in the process of just now getting ICS
Where are you getting 6 months to get that update? Did you see those links I posted? I assume you're talking about from the time 4.0.4 leaked (for both Nexus variants) to the time it was officially released from Google (even then, it was only a few months). It was only about a month difference between the time the GSM and Verizon Nexus got 4.0.4 OTA.

JB hasn't even officially been out for a month yet for the GSM Nexus (OTA on July 11th). Yeah, it's a bit more than the 4.0.4 update, but there isn't anything to change for the VZW Nexus except for maybe the baseband software. The Verizon Nexus is even part of Google's AOSP now. I don't believe in the political aspect of them delaying the update just because they'd rather update their Droid phones first. Why would that matter to them when all they care about is subscribers? Whether they buy a RAZR or a Blackberry, they're paying the same a month. The amount they make in subsidies is negligible across all the phones compared to what they make on the actual contract.

We'll see though. I still say we'll see the update in the next month or two. There's no point in speculating on things in which we have no information or proof on though (other than past experience; what I'm basing my opinion on).
PhilosoRaptor is offline  
Last edited by PhilosoRaptor; August 7th, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > (Verizon) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.