Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > (Verizon) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root

Get excited for the Samsung Galaxy S5! Find everything you need and discuss it in our Galaxy S5 Forum!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By teddyearp

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old December 26th, 2012, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Having trouble with wifi tether-treve mod

I recently rooted my nexus, accidentally rooting it to twrp instead of clockwork..but dont really know the difference in the first place. I hear a big benefit of rooting is the free tethering. I DLed the wifi tether-treve mod app. im trying to tether my laptop but its not working and when i start the tether on my phone it says error, enabling mss clamping failed in the show log. Any advice? im still fairly new to this rooting thing. Thanks

collinv620 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 27th, 2012, 12:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Nexican
 
jmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,840
 
Device(s): hammerhead, falcon, dream, grouper (Retired: mako, toro, daytona, vivow, inc, aloha, encore)
Carrier: AT&T & VZW

Thanks: 7,605
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,884 Posts
jdmartinez89@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinv620 View Post
I recently rooted my nexus, accidentally rooting it to twrp instead of clockwork..but dont really know the difference in the first place. I hear a big benefit of rooting is the free tethering. I DLed the wifi tether-treve mod app. im trying to tether my laptop but its not working and when i start the tether on my phone it says error, enabling mss clamping failed in the show log. Any advice? im still fairly new to this rooting thing. Thanks
Hey there collin!

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty getting all the functionality from your device that you wish to have.

First things first...

Root access allows for deeper access inside the OS, namely the system files which are not normally accessible. It also allows for things such as tethering, though not all tethering requires root, such as certain wired tethering solutions.

Secondly, TWRP and CWM are recovery programs that are a user accessible backup and flash tool. Standard or "stock" recovery is the built in version of the tool, initiated and accessed by things such as a carrier update to your phone's OS or when you perform a factory reset from within the settings menu on your device.

So...why the background? I wanted to distinguish two terms you may have lumped together, which is easy to do. I know I did back in the day when I was in need of help. Glad you are asking for help.

Moving on now...

Root will give your device the ability to access and use WiFi tethering, whether built-in or by third party app. Not all apps work and this sounds like your problem. The app you are using quite possibly doesn't work or is not configured correctly.

One easy solution...flash a custom ROM (May I suggest Jelly Belly?) which has WiFi tethering built-into it and the problem is essentially solved. That said, let me ask a question or two or three...

...Does the above info make sense?

Do you know how to operate/navigate your custom TWRP recovery?

Do you know how to perform a proper installation of a ROM and Google Apps (GApps)?

Get back to me so I can continue to assist you.

jmar
__________________
Introduce Yourself Here
Forum Rules & Guidelines - FAQ
Was someone helpful? Hit the Thanks! button. Do you like the contents of a post? Hit the Like button. If you see rude behavior, bickering or spam, Report! it to the Moderators.
My favorite getaway--->Galaxy Nexus Watering Hole
jmar is offline  
Last edited by jmar; December 27th, 2012 at 12:29 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:10 AM   #3 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartino5920 View Post
Hey there collin!

Sorry to hear you are having difficulty getting all the functionality from your device that you wish to have.

First things first...

Root access allows for deeper access inside the OS, namely the system files which are not normally accessible. It also allows for things such as tethering, though not all tethering requires root, such as certain wired tethering solutions.

Secondly, TWRP and CWM are recovery programs that are a user accessible backup and flash tool. Standard or "stock" recovery is the built in version of the tool, initiated and accessed by things such as a carrier update to your phone's OS or when you perform a factory reset from within the settings menu on your device.

So...why the background? I wanted to distinguish two terms you may have lumped together, which is easy to do. I know I did back in the day when I was in need of help. Glad you are asking for help.

Moving on now...

Root will give your device the ability to access and use WiFi tethering, whether built-in or by third party app. Not all apps work and this sounds like your problem. The app you are using quite possibly doesn't work or is not configured correctly.

One easy solution...flash a custom ROM (May I suggest Jelly Belly?) which has WiFi tethering built-into it and the problem is essentially solved. That said, let me ask a question or two or three...

...Does the above info make sense?

Do you know how to operate/navigate your custom TWRP recovery?

Do you know how to perform a proper installation of a ROM and Google Apps (GApps)?

Get back to me so I can continue to assist you.

jmar
Hey Jmar! thanks for going into detail for me. It is slowly starting to make sense, like i said im still new to this. I do have another issue on my hands now. I flashed some aokp rom through moo manager a little while ago. Now i just have this pink unicorn load screen "initiating swagger." I read somewhere a few minutes ago to go to my recovery page and wipe davlik and flash the aokp again and it should work...to no avail. Screen is still loading and annoying me. How do i get back to my original "rom", i hope im using the right term, and restore my phone to before this unicorn annoyance?
collinv620 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:16 AM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

where do i dl and install jelly belly? via app on my phone or from computer?
collinv620 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 01:34 AM   #5 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 482
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 54 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinv620 View Post
where do i dl and install jelly belly? via app on my phone or from computer?
just install jb sourcery and use the tether app it comes with.
SweatyPits is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

I cant get rid of this AOKP unicorn load screen. I tried everything in my recovery page!!! HELPPP!!!! Do i have to unroot and unbrick my phone or something?! im freaking out over here havent been able to use my phone for hours because of this SWAGGER pink load screen!!!!!
collinv620 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:26 AM   #7 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 482
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 54 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinv620 View Post
I cant get rid of this AOKP unicorn load screen. I tried everything in my recovery page!!! HELPPP!!!! Do i have to unroot and unbrick my phone or something?! im freaking out over here havent been able to use my phone for hours because of this SWAGGER pink load screen!!!!!
relax. go back into recovery mode, flash stock. download a jb bootloader, flash it, and try a different rom. a lot of the aokp 4.2.1 ones have issues.
SweatyPits is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 02:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

how do i flash stock from the twrp recovery page? like i said im new to this and im having a hard time. My options on the home screen are install, backup, mount, advanced,wipe, restore, settings, reboot. I went to restore and chose the 12-31-1999 and it loaded into the unicorn screen. Then i restored the 12-26-2012 which i would assume is the aokp rom?...that came up with the unicorn load screen as well. Not finding an option to flash...
collinv620 is offline  
Last edited by collinv620; December 27th, 2012 at 02:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 03:02 AM   #9 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 482
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 54 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinv620 View Post
how do i flash stock from the twrp recovery page? like i said im new to this and im having a hard time. My options on the home screen are install, backup, mount, advanced,wipe, restore, settings, reboot. I went to restore and chose the 12-31-1999 and it loaded into the unicorn screen. Then i restored the 12-26-2012 which i would assume is the aokp rom?...that came up with the unicorn load screen as well. Not finding an option to flash...

wipe, then factory reset.
SweatyPits is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #10 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatyPits View Post
wipe, then factory reset.
just go to the wipe menu then wipe factory reset? tried it, unicorn pops up.......
collinv620 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:02 AM   #11 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinv620 View Post
just go to the wipe menu then wipe factory reset? tried it, unicorn pops up.......
ok nevermind. the aokp load screen poped up but then it actually loaded. now i cant access the the internet and its the aokp interface. how do i get to use the network?
collinv620 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 06:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Now i have network but cant sync contacts, apps, nothing. Don't even have Google play store app. How do i get the play store app?!
collinv620 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 08:18 AM   #13 (permalink)
A guide with guides
 
teddyearp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Randle, WA
Posts: 2,148
 
Device(s): Samsung® SCH-I515 & Motorola® XT907
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 681
Thanked 700 Times in 427 Posts
Default

Almost every custom rom has a seperate gapps package which is why you don't have the market. While it is very convenient to download and flash roms with our phone, the instructions aren't included. It is always best to read up about them first on the internet, that way you'll have some background on how to flash them correctly so you'll have less problems.

The usual standard for flashing a rom is this:
1. boot into recovery
2. make a nandroid backup
3. factory data reset
4. some say also wipe dalvik cache and system as well
5. flash rom
6. flash gapps (if needed, most times they are)
7. reboot phone-first time will take a lot longer than usual.

good luck

p.s. if you have more questions and before you proceed further, I would like to refer you to the guide that is stickied at the top of the page, there's a lot to read with alot of links, but you'll start to understand stuff better.

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/469167-vzw-lte-samsung-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root-guide-updated-10-26-2012-a.html
jmar likes this.
teddyearp is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to teddyearp For This Useful Post:
jmar (December 27th, 2012)
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:13 AM   #14 (permalink)
Nexican
 
jmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,840
 
Device(s): hammerhead, falcon, dream, grouper (Retired: mako, toro, daytona, vivow, inc, aloha, encore)
Carrier: AT&T & VZW

Thanks: 7,605
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,884 Posts
jdmartinez89@gmail.com
Default

Just woke up. Thank for chipping in to help.

How's it going Collin? Still stuck?

jmar
jmar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmartino5920 View Post
Just woke up. Thank for chipping in to help.

How's it going Collin? Still stuck?

jmar
whats up jmar. Been at work all day, getting used to not having any contacts or applications...or being able to dl any for that matter. The AOKP rom i installed and flashed last night finally loaded this morning. I have no google apps. Want to change this rom immediately but not really sure how to without having the google store to dl goo manager, rom manager, etc. Im not even sure if i can get my contacts and apps back if im even capable of fixing this problem. Anyway can you walk a newb through?
collinv620 is offline  
Last edited by collinv620; December 27th, 2012 at 04:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:18 PM   #16 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
PsyMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle of No Where
Gender: Male
Posts: 779
 
Device(s): D2SPR
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 125
Thanked 348 Times in 198 Posts
dizfahthis
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinv620 View Post
whats up jmar. Been at work all day, getting used to not having any contacts or applications...or being able to dl any for that matter. The AOKP rom i installed and flashed last night finally loaded this morning. I have no google apps. Want to change this rom immediately but not really sure how to without having the google store to dl goo manager, rom manager, etc. Im not even sure if i can get my contacts and apps back if im even capable of fixing this problem. Anyway you can walk a newb through?
Don't have this device but it appears as if the reason you don't have Google apps is because you don't have a gapps pack installed, do you have link to the rom you downloaded?,
__________________






PsyMega is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 04:20 PM   #17 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
tdevaughn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Statesville NC
Posts: 1,007
 
Device(s): Samsung Galaxy Nexus - Sourcerized
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 48
Thanked 395 Times in 268 Posts
Default

Collin, you need to install a gapps package.
all of the programs you are "missing" are in the gapps that im assuming you have not installed yet. here is link to the 12/12 gapps

Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip
tdevaughn is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 10:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
A guide with guides
 
teddyearp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Randle, WA
Posts: 2,148
 
Device(s): Samsung® SCH-I515 & Motorola® XT907
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks: 681
Thanked 700 Times in 427 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinv620 View Post
whats up jmar. Been at work all day, getting used to not having any contacts or applications...or being able to dl any for that matter. The AOKP rom i installed and flashed last night finally loaded this morning. I have no google apps. Want to change this rom immediately but not really sure how to without having the google store to dl goo manager, rom manager, etc. Im not even sure if i can get my contacts and apps back if im even capable of fixing this problem. Anyway can you walk a newb through?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdevaughn View Post
Collin, you need to install a gapps package.
all of the programs you are "missing" are in the gapps that im assuming you have not installed yet. here is link to the 12/12 gapps

Goo.im Downloads - Downloading gapps-jb-20121212-signed.zip
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Almost every custom rom has a seperate gapps package which is why you don't have the market. While it is very convenient to download and flash roms with our phone, the instructions aren't included. It is always best to read up about them first on the internet, that way you'll have some background on how to flash them correctly so you'll have less problems.

The usual standard for flashing a rom is this:
1. boot into recovery
2. make a nandroid backup
3. factory data reset
4. some say also wipe dalvik cache and system as well
5. flash rom
6. flash gapps (if needed, most times they are)
7. reboot phone-first time will take a lot longer than usual.

good luck

p.s. if you have more questions and before you proceed further, I would like to refer you to the guide that is stickied at the top of the page, there's a lot to read with alot of links, but you'll start to understand stuff better.

http://androidforums.com/verizon-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root/469167-vzw-lte-samsung-galaxy-nexus-all-things-root-guide-updated-10-26-2012-a.html

Hope this helps.

good luck
teddyearp is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2012, 11:09 PM   #19 (permalink)
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 482
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 5
Thanked 54 Times in 48 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinv620 View Post
ok nevermind. the aokp load screen poped up but then it actually loaded. now i cant access the the internet and its the aokp interface. how do i get to use the network?

glad to hear it worked. just get some gapps. the 12-12-2012 ones are the most recent. you can get them on team sourcery's website. there's a much better rom than any of the aokp ones on there too. way more features, less bugs. actually haven't found any bugs on the newest sourcery.
SweatyPits is offline  
Last edited by SweatyPits; December 27th, 2012 at 11:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old December 28th, 2012, 11:12 AM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 22
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweatyPits View Post
glad to hear it worked. just get some gapps. the 12-12-2012 ones are the most recent. you can get them on team sourcery's website. there's a much better rom than any of the aokp ones on there too. way more features, less bugs. actually haven't found any bugs on the newest sourcery.
I downloaded the gapps on my laptop. How do i transfer them to my phone? I tried to drag themy phone but it wouldn't let me. By the way thanks for all the info and assistance in my first root venture guys. Cant wait to be up and running normally.
collinv620 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old December 29th, 2012, 11:13 PM   #21 (permalink)
Nexican
 
jmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Jose, CA
Gender: Male
Posts: 4,840
 
Device(s): hammerhead, falcon, dream, grouper (Retired: mako, toro, daytona, vivow, inc, aloha, encore)
Carrier: AT&T & VZW

Thanks: 7,605
Thanked 3,205 Times in 1,884 Posts
jdmartinez89@gmail.com
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by collinv620 View Post
I downloaded the gapps on my laptop. How do i transfer them to my phone? I tried to drag themy phone but it wouldn't let me. By the way thanks for all the info and assistance in my first root venture guys. Cant wait to be up and running normally.
collin,

Can you connect your phone to a WiFi network? If so, then download the GApps directly to your phone from the links provided in previous posts. Then go into recovery and flash. The file will be in your downloads folder. Let me know where you are at. I am not going to give up on helping you until you are set.

jmar
jmar is offline  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmar For This Useful Post:
teddyearp (December 31st, 2012)
Old December 30th, 2012, 01:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
ROM Developer
 
PsyMega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Middle of No Where
Gender: Male
Posts: 779
 
Device(s): D2SPR
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 125
Thanked 348 Times in 198 Posts
dizfahthis
Default

Mount usb mode, then drag and drop them to your phone
PsyMega is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy Nexus > (Verizon) Galaxy Nexus - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.