Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4 > (Verizon) Galaxy S4 - All Things Root

test: Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old September 16th, 2013, 10:54 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
brnr17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 309
 
Device(s): Drooooid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default I could seriously use a little help here guys

I followed the guide i used step by step and succesfully acquired root on my Verizon S4 with ME7. I have clockworkmod installed. I only wanted to download a different rom that would get rid of the bloatware i don't use, and correct the laggy issues i'm having. SOOOOO
1. can you recommend a rom like this

2.MORE IMPORTANTLY, i tried downloading a different rom through CWM and flashing it onto my phone and it just will not work. I don't know what i'm doing wrong. I download it through CWM and click reboot and flash, and it boots into safe mode but only gives me a few options, one being install from SD card, and when i selected that it failed to put on a new rom, just gave me like 4 red lines of permissions failed. I DO have successfull root so i know thats not the problem. HELP please?!

Advertisements
brnr17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
sponsored links
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
New Member
 
donshaffer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 11
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 12
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Your bootloader is locked and you cannot install any ROMs at all.
donshaffer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 11:06 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
brnr17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 309
 
Device(s): Drooooid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by donshaffer View Post
Your bootloader is locked and you cannot install any ROMs at all.
I thought from what i've read there were people running something different on there similar to on the Nexus 7.. am i completely misunderstanding them?
I am not new to rooting as i've rooted every android device i could, but i've been on iphone for the last 2 years so i'm kind of dusty here.
brnr17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 12:02 PM   #4 (permalink)
Moderator
 
jhawkkw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Rochester, NY
Posts: 10,315
 
Device(s): Nexus 5, HP 14 Chomebook w/ HSPA+, Google Glass, LTE Nexus 7(2013), Chromecast
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Thanks: 3,154
Thanked 7,003 Times in 3,769 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brnr17 View Post
I thought from what i've read there were people running something different on there similar to on the Nexus 7.. am i completely misunderstanding them?
I am not new to rooting as i've rooted every android device i could, but i've been on iphone for the last 2 years so i'm kind of dusty here.
A locked bootloader prohibits the changing of the stock boot (kernel), system (os), radio, bootloader and recovery partitions to customized versions. The Nexus 7 has an unlockable bootloader, while the S4 has a locked one. There was an exploit around the locked bootloader on the S4, but the ME7 update got rid of that.

Rooting gives you administrative privileges on the device. With that, you can delete a fair amount of the bloat through the use of Titanium Backup, which is found on Google Play. Just be careful of what you remove because not all bloat can be removed painlessly on the stock rom.
__________________
Site Rules/Guidelines / Meet the Team
If something needs attention, Report it .
If someone helped you, hit to show it.

Current Devices: Nexus 5, HP 14 Chromebook (Data Enabled), Google Glass, (2013) LTE Nexus 7, Chromecast
Retired: Samsung Fascinate, Droid Charge, Galaxy Nexus, (2012) WiFi Nexus 7, Asus TF700, Nexus 4, Logitech Revue
jhawkkw is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2013, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)
Member
Thread Author (OP)
 
brnr17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 309
 
Device(s): Drooooid
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 6
Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhawkkw View Post
A locked bootloader prohibits the changing of the stock boot (kernel), system (os), radio, bootloader and recovery partitions to customized versions. The Nexus 7 has an unlockable bootloader, while the S4 has a locked one. There was an exploit around the locked bootloader on the S4, but the ME7 update got rid of that.

Rooting gives you administrative privileges on the device. With that, you can delete a fair amount of the bloat through the use of Titanium Backup, which is found on Google Play. Just be careful of what you remove because not all bloat can be removed painlessly on the stock rom.
I knew it was better to have MDK but mine came stock from the store with ME7 loaded. Guess i'll just have to wait, anyone have any shots in the dark on an ETA for the exploit?
brnr17 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #6 (permalink)
New Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 14
 
Device(s):
Carrier: Not Provided

Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Right now hashcode is working on a "safe strap" method. I think it is being tested, and hopefully there will be some roms posted for it "shortly".

There is a "script" that can be used to get rid of a lot of bloatware, etc, but it is not a rom. The me7 can be rooted, but you cannot install a recovery or install custom roms.
gimpy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #7 (permalink)
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Baltimore
Gender: Male
Posts: 370
 
Device(s): Rooted Evo 4G LTE, Rooted Samsung Galaxy Note II, Rooted Evo 4G (recently retired)
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks: 153
Thanked 191 Times in 107 Posts
shs.hvac
Default

I've been looking at going to verizon but every phone I would want yo use seems to be locked down by them. Is this something that they're doing across the board with their devices?
__________________
HTC Evo 4G LTE (s-off)


Samsung Galaxy Note II (rooted)
DigiBlur MC2
-Mike- is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Go Back   Android Forums > Android Phones > Samsung Galaxy S4 > (Verizon) Galaxy S4 - All Things Root
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.